67 Fastback - attempt number two!

Create your project threads here if you prefer to keep them out of the regular forums

Moderator: Moderators

moe
Mustang King
Mustang King

Re: 67 Fastback - attempt number two!

Post by moe »

okay - went and organised a permit for one of my vehicles today. 7am to 7pm - $42; no roady required.
rockerfella
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by rockerfella »

Not quite as dramatic as I thought that would be!

Well, working on the assumption that I'll have the car by around 3 tomorrow, I'm hoping I can a) get a permit in the morning II) have the garage go over it and give me the roady real quick and 3) get back to the shopfront in time and get it all sorted in a single day. Unrealistic I realise, but fingers crossed.
cage
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by cage »

Saw it yesterday out in the sun and she is beautiful. Love the colour. Enjoy Rock.
"The simple answer is, even if I have decided I still don't know what to do."
bages
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by bages »

This looks awesome rockerfella - I also agree with the earlier comments on keeping this paint colour :)
Nuts
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Nuts »

Well Rockerbuddy, you've been very quiet this last week. How did you go with the rego nazi's??
My Motto - Don't get Caught! If you do, Blame Someone Else!

MUSTANG - Fantastic Not Plastic
goldscode
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by goldscode »

Yeah , whats the scoop ??
rockerfella
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by rockerfella »

Haha, well it did not go fantastic, but that was to be expected. A couple things I can probably manage to deal with myself but I may send it your way, Nuts, just to make sure I haven't screwed anything. I can't remember exactly what the things were but basically I just need to tighten some stuff up under the car.

Main issue was they were not happy with the visibility of the chassis number on the inner apron. It's already been sanded back so the number is visible, but to be fair, you'd have to know what the number was beforehand to be able to make out what it is. It does have a matching number on the door tag though, and it is the number they used to rego it in qld. Anyway, if I can't find another number on the other apron I'm screwed and apparently they will stamp it with a new number. And also they want the engine stamped again. And they want an engineers report for modifications... Of which there are none. And they want a structural safety report, which Steve has kindly agreed to fill out for me since he's already been through it.

Anyway, I've been putting it off for this week due to study commitments but it's game on now.
rockerfella
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by rockerfella »

Anyone have any experience or knowledge of the new number stamping? Do they just designate me some random number for the car or what?
moe
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by moe »

does it have sub frame connectors?
rockerfella
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by rockerfella »

moe wrote:does it have sub frame connectors?
Yes it does actually. Does that count at modification?
Ausjacko
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Ausjacko »

I had to get a new number of the grey car as the one on the block was not a prime number or significant in the Gregorian calendar.

I was issued with a new number at the motor registry, stamped it n the shoulder of the block and away I went back to the registry.

Are you sure there is not another VIN stamped under the p/side guard? I had to undo one of the guards to reveal the VIN when I initially registered the red car and it has the tag in the windscreen being a '68. They accepted the engine number on the red car NP and it has the same number of digits as the grey car that they rejected.

I take it you had the small guy in jodhpurs, severe comb-over and thin moustache for your inspection then.
'68 J-code GT Fastback
'67 S-code GT coupe, 'Pink Bitz' formerly known as 'Hookin' up a brother'
'69 M_____ GTS Fastback 'Blasted'
moe
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by moe »

rockerfella wrote:
to some of the inspectors, yes. to them, any modifications to the chassis rail needs engineer's certificate, and they class that as a modification to the chassis rail.
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by boofhead »

moe wrote:
rockerfella wrote:
to some of the inspectors, yes. to them, any modifications to the chassis rail needs engineer's certificate, and they class that as a modification to the chassis rail.
Agreed - This is a modification and would need an engineers certificate.
I will someday think of something clever to say.
rockerfella
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by rockerfella »

Hah, nah Jacko, it was the big guy with the goatie who seems to know what he's talking about. Can't remember his name but I know he's a known character round these parts.

Re the VIN I'll be going hunting under the guard tomorrow for hopefully another number. What happens if I can't find one though? From memory he said they'd just stamp me a new one.

And can anyone recommend an engineer in that case? I have not had to go down this road before. They sure don't make it easy for us, do they?!
Nuts
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Nuts »

You will need to undo the top of the rh fender so you can move it outwards. The vin should be located under the rear apron approximately halfway between the hinge and the shock tower. Maybe you can you clean out the old paint from the visible vin using paint stripper??
My Motto - Don't get Caught! If you do, Blame Someone Else!

MUSTANG - Fantastic Not Plastic