Operation Megasquirt!

Create your project threads here if you prefer to keep them out of the regular forums

Moderator: Moderators

hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Re: Operation Megasquirt!

Post by hybrid »

If you are using MSD, then it will control the coil now, so you do not need a 12V feed.

If you are not using MSD, then you still need to send a 12V feed to the coil, which is probably what the AAW coil wire is.

If you used the AAW kit to wire up the tacho, then you will need to use it's wire on the coil end too (or on the MSD tach output if using MSD).
gbx78
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by gbx78 »

hybrid wrote:If you are using MSD, then it will control the coil now, so you do not need a 12V feed.

If you are not using MSD, then you still need to send a 12V feed to the coil, which is probably what the AAW coil wire is.

If you used the AAW kit to wire up the tacho, then you will need to use it's wire on the coil end too (or on the MSD tach output if using MSD).
ahhh ok .. yes ill be using an msd or crane ignition box .. i forgot about that..
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by boofhead »

He he - working to hard you forget your ignition box in plan. As stated Tach goes from the ignition box so does the coil 12V and Ground wires. Trigger wire goes to Ignition box from relay board. Your choice to run the (affectively) switched 12V from the Fuel pump output on the relay box to the Ignition box. No point powering the ignition box unless the fuel pump is running (which is switched on by the MS). Not important just a thought.
I will someday think of something clever to say.
gbx78
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by gbx78 »

boofhead wrote:He he - working to hard you forget your ignition box in plan. As stated Tach goes from the ignition box so does the coil 12V and Ground wires. Trigger wire goes to Ignition box from relay board. Your choice to run the (affectively) switched 12V from the Fuel pump output on the relay box to the Ignition box. No point powering the ignition box unless the fuel pump is running (which is switched on by the MS). Not important just a thought.
ahhh cool! thanks for that
gbx78
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by gbx78 »

i was just reading up on MS2 and electric fan control. rather than buy a thermostatic fan control kit with sensor etc.. i figured there has to be a way that megasquirt can control it being it has the water temp sensor.

and it appears there is a way, although of course im confused, and perhaps the ms guys here could just clarify a little. I read you can use the FIDLE port as a spare port to run the elec fan relay, however as i understand i AM using the FIDLE port for Fast idle which is connected to my IAC on the throttle body. Saying that i have 4 IAC stepper motor ports that are not used, is there a way to use these instead for fan control ?

I saw some screenshots on Tunerstudio where you can set what deg to turn the fan on or off etc.

so just wondering if my hardware would be capable or would i have had to "request" this feature when it was being built? (i have ms2 3.57 i think version and has an extra DB15 male port on the end aswell)

here is what i was last reading re fan control: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 53&start=0

Also Boost control. I saw this in Tunerstudio but all my reading online points to needing a boost control kit/solenoid and possibly some internal bits... but just to clarify i think it was mentioned that i will be using MAP port on the MS2 via T section in the vaccum line, so as the manifold pressure increases with boost im guessing MS will adjust appopriately .. so there is no need for the boost control setting..

Is my understanding correct? or wrong?
gbx78
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by gbx78 »

looks like the IAC ports are programmable as outputs.. .. as per the screenshot in the above link..

thats soo coool!!!
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by boofhead »

Indeed use the MSII to drive a relay for the Fan. You do not have a spare relay on the relay board so you will have to wire an extra into you system. You will need a spare port to use (there are a few to pick from) and in most cases a small circuit needs to be built to drive the fan. As your using the prebuild 3.57 board it does not have a proto area so it is not as simple as the 3.0 board though more than do able. The programmable Ports are great and is used to set the temp etc that you have for the fan. You can also have a relay set up to drive the Air conditioning as well. For example, for have full throttle so switch the air conn automatically off.... lots of possibilities.

Your using speed density (MAP) so this determines your fuelling requirements. All you need to do is the modify the map I gave you is to change the upper 2 or three lines to bring air pressure e.g. 100 down a few lines and blend the data around it a little and add in some higher values above it. You do not need to go to much higher as your looking at maximum 8 PSI boost (at the moment - he he). My view - at this stage a boost controller is not required - I would assume you have boost relief valve some where in the system - that is all you need.
gbx78
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by gbx78 »

boofhead wrote:Indeed use the MSII to drive a relay for the Fan. You do not have a spare relay on the relay board so you will have to wire an extra into you system. You will need a spare port to use (there are a few to pick from) and in most cases a small circuit needs to be built to drive the fan. As your using the prebuild 3.57 board it does not have a proto area so it is not as simple as the 3.0 board though more than do able. The programmable Ports are great and is used to set the temp etc that you have for the fan. You can also have a relay set up to drive the Air conditioning as well. For example, for have full throttle so switch the air conn automatically off.... lots of possibilities.

Your using speed density (MAP) so this determines your fuelling requirements. All you need to do is the modify the map I gave you is to change the upper 2 or three lines to bring air pressure e.g. 100 down a few lines and blend the data around it a little and add in some higher values above it. You do not need to go to much higher as your looking at maximum 8 PSI boost (at the moment - he he). My view - at this stage a boost controller is not required - I would assume you have boost relief valve some where in the system - that is all you need.
that awesome .. thanks boofhead.. i like the idea of the fan and a/c control.. which unfortunately for ME means i have to implement 2 new wires in my plug and route them through the firewall and conduit.. but thats easy enough

Ive heard this "proto" term being used in the forums. what is it or mean?

EDIT: ohh and yes i have the options of a bypass or blowoff valve which i havent installed either one yet until i sort out my air discharge pipe
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

You shouldn't need new wires.
You should be able to direct the output through existing wires.

I'm controlling my fan through Microsquirt which is even harder to work on than a 3.57 board and mine is controlling a relay for the fan no problem.

Just looked into mine - Microsquirt doesn't have LEDs built in to the box... it has LED wires. I'm controlling my fan via one of those wires.

You should be able to drive it using one of the IAC wires if you're using fidle.
gbx78
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by gbx78 »

hybrid wrote:You shouldn't need new wires.
You should be able to direct the output through existing wires.

I'm controlling my fan through Microsquirt which is even harder to work on than a 3.57 board and mine is controlling a relay for the fan no problem.
not sure i understand there.. i dont have any wires hooked up to the iac ports on the relay board. Just the FIDle that goes to the throttle body. So i would need to plug some wires in and route them through?

I already have a power wire sitting at the front which is for electric fan (part of the AAW kit) so i just need the trigger wire to come from the relay board (and configure the software to act appropriately) and a relay which i guess ill just mount next to the fan. is that right?
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

Sorry I thought you mean adding wires to your MS.

Yes you will need to run a wire from the relay board from whatever output you decide to use - possibly IAC1.

A relay will need somewhere around 30mA to drive. You might just want to check that your IAC output will handle that current.
DIY should be able to tell you.
gbx78
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by gbx78 »

hybrid wrote:Sorry I thought you mean adding wires to your MS.

Yes you will need to run a wire from the relay board from whatever output you decide to use - possibly IAC1.

A relay will need somewhere around 30mA to drive. You might just want to check that your IAC output will handle that current.
DIY should be able to tell you.

ahh ok cool .. yes good point! i will check that with them. thanks!
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by boofhead »

You have the 4 IAC wires already in the loom to the relay board so they are logical wires to use. They come out as S1,S2,S3,S4. They can be used to drive the relays, e.g S1 = fan, S3 = air, as they can support 0.5 Amp so no extra circuit needed. See.

http://www.megamanual.com/ms2/spare.htm
gbx78
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by gbx78 »

boofhead wrote:You have the 4 IAC wires already in the loom to the relay board so they are logical wires to use. They come out as S1,S2,S3,S4. They can be used to drive the relays, e.g S1 = fan, S3 = air, as they can support 0.5 Amp so no extra circuit needed. See.

http://www.megamanual.com/ms2/spare.htm
yes i just bookmarked this link last night. I was having a read. I assume the trigger wire from the relay board doesnt push alot of current does it? being its just a trigger. I assume the big current draw is at the fan relay with the 12v power wire and ground. The trigger wire is a low current draw to just activate the relay?

i assume this is the same case for the fuel pump scenario, the FP on the relay board is just a trigger wire and the main draw of current is the power supply to the fuel pump relays then to the fuel pump.

is that correct?
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by boofhead »

Correct - as Hybrid said 30ma low current to drive the relay so it switches the high current side. Same principle in place for fuel pump and FIdle.