67 GT500 Tribute

Create your project threads here if you prefer to keep them out of the regular forums

Moderator: Moderators

soc123_au
Mustang King
Mustang King

Re: Big Block Challenge

Post by soc123_au »

Hopefully the coil is happy there long term. I like clean engine bays, when you stand at the front and look at it all you see is engine. There is nothing mounted on the towers or front skirts. The remote oil filter & overflow are on the back of the rad/support, but don't really catch the eye. Pretty happy with it considering the efi & all the other bells & whistles.
67GT500
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

Post by 67GT500 »

Is that a 429 Steve?
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by boofhead »

Its a tiny 390 (with a whopping crank sprining around inside the block aka 445). Nice setup.
I will someday think of something clever to say.
soc123_au
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by soc123_au »

390 block. Have to have something original to the car. In hindsight I should have gone a Genisis 427 block. Could have gotten over 500 ci. As Boof said it is about 445 now, should go fairly hard I hope.
67GT500
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

Post by 67GT500 »

Reason I asked is you ac location. Is it a sanden? Didn't think a compressor would fit in the oem alternator spot. With the engine in the bay it's hard to judge.
mert
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by mert »

Is the 445 a Survival Motorsports kit? Just got my "Prison Break" boxes last weekend and should have the engine built and broken in in a month or so...
8R01S
8R03S-GT
8F01X -EXP500 Repli-bute
8R01C-Cal Special
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by boofhead »

Yes it is Mert.
soc123_au
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by soc123_au »

All the bits are from Survival. Upgraded to steel crank, H beams & Diamond pistons.

The compressor is the sanden one from the C1 kit. My car was missing everything from the timing cover forward when it arrived so the complete kit ticked all the boxes.
soc123_au
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by soc123_au »

What heads are you going with Mert? The FElony heads look like decent value. I probably would have gone with them had they been available at the time.
mert
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by mert »

I am actually using the terrible, awful, horrible original cast iron C8AE-H's. ;) Very mild porting, mostly just matching width and some light interior smoothing at the normal "bumps" in the stock casting, and some light bowl blending and larger valves. Maintain velocity at lower RPM's, not "max flow"... as I won't be running at 6000+ rpm very often.

I went with the I beams and Mahle dished pistons. Will be using a 428PI aluminum intake, 428CJ heads and a period correct Holley off a 390 Torino (same as the Mustang) with a Comp XE274H cam. 3.00:1 Tru-Trac rear thru a R servo C6 on Goodyear Speedway 350's.

Not really concerned with "Max Hp", but think it will have reasonable torque across normal RPMs... where it will run 99+% of the time...
8R01S
8R03S-GT
8F01X -EXP500 Repli-bute
8R01C-Cal Special
soc123_au
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by soc123_au »

It sounds much more sensible than mine. Should still tear the tyres off the rims if the mood ever strikes as well.
67GT500
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

Post by 67GT500 »

I've read how hard it is to tell what CI an FE is without stripping it. Since you guys are the first I've chatted with that have real FE knowledge, when I bought the car I got an engine rebuild receipt. Here's a link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nk7pjd9k6vffd ... ebuild.pdf

Previous owner tells me its a 428 Q Code from a 66 T-Bird. Dyno's to 200hp ATW without any mods other than an MSD 6AL and Holley 750.

Thoughts?
soc123_au
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by soc123_au »

Depends on the rest of the drive train. C6 & 9" suck a bit of horsepower. 200rwh sounds a tad down though. As long as it feels good to drive, the numbers game is just a pissing contest.
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by boofhead »

Sounds about right to me for a stock engine. Steve is right in that the running gear (especially the C6) soaks up a lot of power. In any case, a big block is for low rpm torque and I would suspect you have bags of it. Makes the car nice to drive (even in traffic), sounds fantastic for sure, and you can peal the tyres if you so desire.

Interesting point for me in this thread was to pointer to new head castings being done by Survival. They are almost reasonable (for the size engines we are talking about) which is great. The biggest issue with FE is the limited performance heads - glad that is (slowly) being addressed. Having said that, the few times I have run around in FE powered cars I have loved it - so I do not think the owners are missing out.
soc123_au
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by soc123_au »

The new Survival heads do look the business & well priced for FE gear. Mine ended up with CNCed stage 10 Edelbrocks so we will see how they go. The FElony heads flow better than the standard E heads.

Blue Thunder are still probably the bench mark, but for me to have gone those I would have had to change a heap of other stuff as well that wasnt really required. I still have the Dove ones as well, but they are better for something without such a wild cam and high compression.