347 Build

Create your project threads here if you prefer to keep them out of the regular forums

Moderator: Moderators

lukep6470
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Re: 347 Build

Post by lukep6470 »

I'm running an MSD TFI billet I got on the cheap. For some reason the OEM ford TFI dizzy wouldn't go in the Dart block. Every dimension I measured was identical if not smaller than the MSD yet the MSD went straight in. I wasn't keen to force the issue so I just ran with it.

The MSD had an intermittently faulty pickup which didn't help with getting the motor started either.

Luckily my neighbor is a mechanical engineer with an extensive workshop so I was able to press all the bits off to get the shaft out and swap over the pickups.
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by boofhead »

I am running a MSD TFI billet as well, so is Hybrid and so is gbx78, I just thought you were going to move to a 36:1 wheel. Any way, interesting with the fitment issue with the dart block. I hope to see it once you have it all tunned up. Cam does not appear to be to large just happily idles away.
I will someday think of something clever to say.
lukep6470
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by lukep6470 »

That's at a 900rpm target and way rich. Also I haven't balanced the throttlebodies. I think I can get it smoother and lower.

I decided to run the motor in with the dizzy and the take a closer look at EDIS later.
lukep6470
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by lukep6470 »

OK so with the throttlebodies balanced and an AFR of 14.2 at idle I've got it running at 850rpm with a bit of a lope. It can take a burn to the Microsquirt without stalling in gear.

I've also managed to decode the custom grind sheet from Comp Cams

35-000-8 Ford 302 HO or 351W street roller special material works with most standard distributor gears.
Lobe 5445 - Extreme energy Hydraulic
Lobe 5447 - Extreme Energy Hydraulic
HR 112.0 Separation

Boofhead you were right they are flat tappet profiles but used on a roller billet. Maybe they suggested that for the daily driver high mileage requirement with the ITBs.
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by boofhead »

Excellent work with the idle. Getting it to all work well together with ITB is great. As you know, I am keen to go that way myself. Hence I am always interested on your solutions and progress.

I have been very interested in custom cam lobe profile selection for some time and their selection in your case was a surprise to me. Having said that you have to be on the money as to why they chose the flat tappet lobes as the base. Lower intensity profile makes the cam a little smaller though is less harsh on the valve gear. To add to my surprise was the fact they selected an intake lobe design for the exhaust when there are XE flat tappet dedicated exhaust lobe profiles. All very interesting. I personally prefer high intensity lobes so for any given duration the area under the curve is larger. The down side is often noisier valve gear and requirement of higher valve spring pressures.

I am very interested in your results because I have never known someone who had a cam ground from flat tappet profiles onto a roller billet. The approach though does open up the possible lobe choices.
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by boofhead »

Luke,

Maybe I am over thinking it but I would like to look at the method and settings you are using for the Accel Enrichment on your ITB setup. I know you have it well tuned (at least with the older 289 it was great). I have been playing with my setup just a little and I am not completely happy with what the logs are telling me verses what I want to see happen. Another perspective would be good so I do not over think it to much.

Thanks.
lukep6470
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by lukep6470 »

I found I had a little bit of noise from my TP sensor so I had to tune that out. Of the enrichment curve. I also took a less is more approach as dumping too much in seemed to cause backfires.

I've yet to see how those settings go on the 347. I'll get screenshots out of my laptop of my tun over the next couple of days.
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

You can upload your MSQ to the downloads section if you like.
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by boofhead »

So your running 100% TPS with tradition AE or are you also running with EAE?

Any way, I would be interested in seeing your AE TPSdot and PW adder points as well as the general settings. I am particularly interested in initial smaller TPSdot movements and associated PW for AE. The noise on your TPS input line would have made it even harder for you. I am thinking you have a 2000 CFM intake so the initial crack of the eight TB's must cause a rush of air with a large drop in Vac hence controlling that point is my main focus. Screenshot would be good even if for the 289 which would be great if you can. It just helps to see what others have used successfully. The over rich backfiring is a helpful point to watchout for - I have not seen it in my tune though you never know - so thanks.
lukep6470
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by lukep6470 »

AFAIK it is 100% TPS

I think it is very easy with multipoint and bigger injectors to drown the motor as you can have the equivalent of 8x holley accelerator pumps running at once.

I'll grab my current MSQ and upload it tonight.
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by boofhead »

Interesting - I was thinking of going to partial mapDot - if I have time between packing tonight I was going to look at my logs and determine if that might help the initial crack. I could just be looking for perfect when that is not possible.
lukep6470
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by lukep6470 »

Here's a screenshot of all the AE tables.

boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by boofhead »

Excellent. I see your using EAE as well as AE - my logs would show some false AE events at tpsDOT threshold of 20 though I have been slowly lowering. I do need some AE at times around tpsDOT of 20 though I have a higher rate because I have not currently enable EAE. I was thinking EAE would be the answer though I wanted to see what you have been doing. Thanks for the image - it is very helpful.
lukep6470
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by lukep6470 »

I can't remember where I poached the EAE settings from. It may have been from a V8 on the MsExtra forum.
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by boofhead »

So you have not fiddled much with the EAE settings after you had poached them - interesting. Good to know it is a good starting point. I assume you had changed the AE settings though since they are quite different or are they based on the same source?

I must admit I find this aspect so interesting. I can play without pulling the car apart for a short while anyway :lol: .