Husky's 65 Restomod

Create your project threads here if you prefer to keep them out of the regular forums

Moderator: Moderators

Husky65
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Re: Husky's 65 Restomod

Post by Husky65 »

I'm assuming he had a brain fart and either thought it was 16 or he thought it was in timing mode showing full advance. I think I've decided I'm going to learn how to tune it myself.
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

I know a mob that are really good and started out only doing dyno tuning and nothing else.
They're at Girraween though, so not really close to you.
Husky65
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Husky65 »

Unigroup? Do they touch the old ford stuff?
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

Yeah unigroup.
They should be able to do pretty much anything.

I've had a Nissan with a PowerFC there, as well as a mates Megasquirt.
Drop them a line if you're still looking. Can't hurt.
Husky65
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Husky65 »

Yeah I emailed them a couple hours ago, got a swift response....negative on the ford stuff. I am going to get a wideband and tune it myself
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

Wow that surprises me. They've been around so long I thought for sure they would have done it. Especially with how popular the turbo sixes are these days. Unless they use a different method in the later stuff.
Husky65
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Husky65 »

Yeah from AU on they were all obd2, so they can just flash tune them very easily. Pre-AU is a different story, basically requires data logging and then changing software values before you burn the chip, then a simple but tedious process of repeating that.

Anyway, just took the plunge and bought a techedge wideband kit from ti performance, as well as a j3 chip burner. Now I just need to do some reading into how to work the Tuner Pro software.

I also realised yesterday that the chip I have atm has the wrong MAF transfer table in it. It is for a 90mm lightning maf, however I am running a factory 80mm off a lincon. The transfer tables are pretty different, and would explain why my car is running so godamn rich
Last edited by Husky65 on Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
nassi
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by nassi »

The AU is not OBD2, it is a bit of a hybrid. BA onwards is OBD2.
Husky65
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Husky65 »

Ah ok didn't know that.
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

How much did that all cost? Might have been cheaper to buy a Megasquirt :mrgreen:
Husky65
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Husky65 »

The techedge wideband kit was 300 and the chip burner was about 120. I already have a chip with a basic tune on it so that saved me a few dollars. The Tuner Pro software is free.
I'm happy with the ford system at the moment, once I get to tune it we will see how we go.
Husky65
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Husky65 »

Got my tuning gear today 😀

I actually had to buy a new laptop as we only have apple stuff here, but it was only 200 bucks for a brand newy, so 650 all up for the gear.

I don't have time to install the data logger gear for a couple weeks, so I just pulled the chip and uploaded the contents to have a look at it using Tuner Pro.
The injector data was for 19's, I have 24's. And the maf transfer data was for a stock afm(I think), and was wayyyy out from the 80mm maf I have.
So I changed these two items, and also disabled the egr, which apparently plays with spark a fair bit and is known to cause bucking issues.
I left it at that for the time being, disconnected the battery to clear kam and put the chip in. Heaps different. Idle is more steady, no smoke at idle, started easier.
Took it for a quick spin around the block. Wow, no bucking at all under engine braking. And just goes when you put your foot down. So much better than before. Who would have that the wrong injector and maf info would have such ill effect on the motor 😋

Can't wait to get the data logger stuff up and running to have a real look at what is going on.

hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

Cool, techedge make nice stuff.
My first unit was a techedge that I built myself. Still have it, but don't really trust it any more. Mainly because I built it :lol:
But at the time, there weren't the cheap options around that there are now.
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by boofhead »

I built a Techedge unit as well. Running well in the Mustang. Very good gear.
I will someday think of something clever to say.
Husky65
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Husky65 »

Yeah it looks to be a nice bit of kit. I like how it replicates a narrow band o2 sensor signal for one of the outputs, so I can just replace the stock o2 with the WB and still have the ecu reading the NB correct signals. Saves me welding in another bung.