Pulling my date correct engine down!

Create your project threads here if you prefer to keep them out of the regular forums

Moderator: Moderators

Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Re: Pulling my date correct engine down!

Post by Shaunp »

ozbilt wrote:Reason I say what I did above, is that I always got a premium for 67 heads with the tubes in them.
Got 2 sets here both been plugged though, ported as well so the hump is gone. Tim's engine was bult in 67 though, maybe old stock, a look at the casting around and down the port will tell. The engine I'm running is based on a 68 289 (302 block type 289)
Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Shaunp »

Ok this is what I have worked out, 302 4v heads are really just closed chamber 289 heads. 302 2v heads have the internal smog tube.Your heads have the pedestal for the external smog tubes, you can see it in the pic, they are just not drilled. Im thinking the 68 cars built prior to 68 may not have had smog gear hense the heads you have. Your car being a Cali car would have them though. I reckon the stuff I have here very similar to what would have been on your car. You would need to drill and tap your heads to fit it though. I also found some J heads like yours for sale with out the smog rail drilling. You can buy the nuts and rails new.
My Marti report says for my 67
Closed crankcase emission system
Exhuast emission control
car was ordered 12 oct 66, built 23 nov

I also have the A code air cleaner from my car.
tim_morrison82
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by tim_morrison82 »

ok, extract from Bob Mannels mustang and fords small block v8 62-69...

chapter 8 1968 289/302 V8

the only functional difference between the 289 V8 and the 302 2v heads was in the smog control plumbing. the 289 v8 head had continued the windsor foundry design of being cast for internal air logs. the 302 v8 head, on the other hand, was of cleveland foundry design and used the externally mounted air logs. both 289 and 302 2v heads featured the same large 61.7-64.7 cc combustion chamber volumes.

the different heads were easily identified under the valve covers as the each carried the appropriate 289 or 302 markings. the 302 head was further marked as a 2v or 4v. the 4v head used a 53.5-56.5 cc combustion chamber volume, which yeilded an advertised compression ratio of 10.0:1. (the fact that the 302 4v head had the same volume as the pre-1968 289 should not be overlooked by hobbyists. heads from pre-1968 289 v8s, mounted on a 302 v8 would produce the factory 302 4v compression ratio).

smog control had become an issue in many states by 1968 and ford implemented a corporate policy to control emissions on all its engines. Two systems were used in 1968. One was called Improved Combustion control, or Imco, which had its origins back in late 1967 with L15. This system consisted of finely tuned distributor and carburetor calibrations. Ford also took measures to prevent excessive adjustment of the carburetor idle mixtures.

over in the distributor area, ford went to a dual diaphragm, vacuum advance arrangement on all engines, with the exception of the 302 4v with automatic transmission. this new distributer advance arrangement of vacuum hoses between carburetor and intake manifold controlled the vacuum sources to the distributor. on all cars except the full-sized ford, further control was provided by a distributor vacuum control valve mounted on the top of the thermostat housing. this valve operated much like the one found on late 1967 Mustang/Cougar 289 V8 equipped with california smog control and air conditioning, which had been located on top of the intake manifold's heater water outlet fitting. the precise configuration of 1968 vacuum hose systems varied depending on model, transmission, and options.

on cars equipped with manual transmissions, ford went a step further by installing a thermactor, or air pump, system much like the 1966/67 california smog control systems. the 1968 system, however, was simplified, and no parts interchanged between the two. Air from the new pump was directed into the backfire supression valve now located directly behind the pump. from there air was directed to the cylinder head exhaust ports. on the 289 v8, this was via internally machined passageways. on the 302 v8 it was via externally mounted air logs.

the belt arrangement for the 1968 thermactor differed from the 1966/67 california system. without air conditioning, the crankshaft pulley drove the air pump with the air pump belt running over the water pump pulley. both crankshaft and water pump pulleys were 3-groove designs used with 15/32" width belts. as in 1966/67, if power steering was not installed, the alternator was run by 2 matched belts. When air conditioning was installed, the air pump pulley was changed to one that had a larger diameter and a 1/2" groove. as in previous years, the air pump pulley then served as the adjustable idler for the air conditioning compressor drive belt.
Dreaming the dream... Living the reality...
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

tim_morrison82 wrote: the only functional difference between the 289 V8 and the 302 2v heads was in the smog control plumbing. the 289 v8 head had continued the windsor foundry design of being cast for internal air logs. the 302 v8 head, on the other hand, was of cleveland foundry design and used the externally mounted air logs.
OK, that is the bit that does NOT make sense. 67 289 smog heads are identified by the smog tubes as they are "external", the 68 heads not having that. What is said above is the exact opposite. :loopy:
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

tim_morrison82 wrote:the belt arrangement for the 1968 thermactor differed from the 1966/67 California system. without air conditioning, the crankshaft pulley drove the air pump with the air pump belt running over the water pump pulley. both crankshaft and water pump pulleys were 3-groove designs used with 15/32" width belts. as in 1966/67, if power steering was not installed, the alternator was run by 2 matched belts. When air conditioning was installed, the air pump pulley was changed to one that had a larger diameter and a 1/2" groove. as in previous years, the air pump pulley then served as the adjustable idler for the air conditioning compressor drive belt.
That makes sense as the 68 thermactor pump bracket on the 68/9 small block (but not the B2) has a 68 part #, so the 67 does not work in the 68 configuration.
Kerry

tim_morrison82
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by tim_morrison82 »

lol! i have no idea, thats just what was written...

i can do similar for the 67 section?
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

Bit more reading for you Tim.

Seems I may be wrong on the tube thing as they talk about them here, but in all the years I only saw them on 67 289 cars, never on a 302 & never after 68 on a small block.

http://fomoco.phpbbnow.com/viewtopic.php?t=4836&start=0
Kerry

tim_morrison82
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by tim_morrison82 »

nothing written in 67, will write out the 66 one after dinner.
tim_morrison82
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by tim_morrison82 »

Chapter 6 - 1966 289 V8

Big news for 1966 were the emission control requirements laid down by the california legislature to be effective on january 1, 1966. ford geared up to meet this requirement on california bound cars right at the start of 1966 production. quickly acquiring the nickname "smog control", the system employed an air pump to inject air into the cylinder head exhaust passasgeways. here additional oxidation of combustion products reduced the level of contaminants dumped into the atmosphere.

two systems were initially used. one was called the "air gulp" system and the other the "air by-pass" system. the air gulp system tied the backfire suppression valve, mounted at the rear of the intake manifold, into the PCV system. early problems of engine overspeed on decelleration led to its discontinuation fairly early in 1966. the air by-pass system proved much more successful. when air was by-passed by the backfire suppression valve, it was dumped into the air cleaner. this accounted for the presence of air cleaner's rear hose fitting. the by-pass system continued through 1967.

the smog control system involved a lot of plumbing, much of which did not look very well organised. hoses ran along the right side of the engine and across the front of the air cleaner. air injector manifolds, commonly called air logs, protruded from each cylinder head. even the carburetor choke tube was reshaped just to go around the right side air log.

the air pump itself required a special cast iron mount and displaced the alternator to a lower position beneath it. new adjusting brackets were used for both the air pump and the alternator.

the airpump was driven by one of two methods. on engines without air conditioning, the air pump was driven by a short, 15/32" wide belt. this belt was in turn driven by a 3-groove water pump pulley. the added third, or forward most, water pump pulley groove was specifically designed for this purpose. the two other water pump pulley grooves were used to run matched alternator belts, or if power steering was installed, to run one belt for each accessory.

if air conditioning was installed, the air pump was driven by the air conditioning belt. to compensate for changes in belt width and speed, the air pump pulley was changed to one with a 1/2" groove width and a much larger diameter. in addition, the air pump now doubled as the air conditioning compressors adjustable idler pulley. in this way belt tensioning for both systems was accomplished as a single operation.
tim_morrison82
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by tim_morrison82 »

there is more about the modifications around the rest of teh engine to fit around the smog stuff, but its another 4 paragraphs... and i'm done reading and typing...
mikes68
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by mikes68 »

tim_morrison82 wrote:there is more about the modifications around the rest of teh engine to fit around the smog stuff, but its another 4 paragraphs... and i'm done reading and typing...
Haven't you got a scanner Tim...???
Fifty Years Afloat

We can't alter the direction of the wind,
But we can adjust our sails
Dynamic
Living the Mustang Dream
Living the Mustang Dream

Post by Dynamic »

time to scrap the matching numbers thing Tim, lets bomb the ozbilt out of your coupe :woohoo: :headbang:
Pete
Mustang Project:
http://dynamicstang.blogspot.com
S[_]SPECT
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by S[_]SPECT »

Theres a 390 for sale locally Tim.. just wants to cover the cost of pistons and machining.... XD
Cheers,
Birchy...
Dodgy Bros. Customs

Suspect 67 - http://www.mustangtech.com.au/Forums/vi ... /t=52.html
tim_morrison82
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by tim_morrison82 »

I do. But i don't want to break the spine of my book. I will have to re read the 68 section now i have pulled my engine down and know what everything looks like. Its an awesome book. I recommend everyone with a small block between 62 and 69 get it. Detailed is an under statement! I don't want to give it all away free.
tim_morrison82
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by tim_morrison82 »

How much is that Shannon?