My 68

Create your project threads here if you prefer to keep them out of the regular forums

Moderator: Moderators

donoauto
Mustang King
Mustang King

Re: My 68

Post by donoauto »

chopmgw wrote:Id buy a whole new control arm.
The cost saved in doing the bushes is minimal compared to the hassle of doing them or so Im told.
For sure buy a new one! The cost to rebuild is only a couple of bucks difference to a newby

edit: incl. ball joints as well
(PRAYER) Oh thank you Wild Turkey American Honey & Cola in those small thin bottles, for giving me the strength to act like a half wit, and say stupid things at inappropriate times, semi-anonymously, on a public forum.
Amen.
steve851
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

Post by steve851 »

Ok good point, but that did'nt answer my question about 7/16 and 9/16 OD Bushes BTW does the option of replacing the lower control arms apply to the upper control arms?
steve851
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

Post by steve851 »

Ok I've figured it out, it should read 1and 7/16 etc which be the OD of the bushing am i right? the question remains about the best option about the upper control arms... is it best to rebuild or replace the whole arm?
Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Shaunp »

Buy full kit of arms, caster bushes, spring perches etc from the US, costs the same and it's all new, and painted. With respect to the lower arm bush the differance is in the eccentric caster bolts, later Oz falcons have a larger dia bolt this why the bushes are different.
nassi
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by nassi »

steve851 wrote:Ok I've figured it out, it should read 1and 7/16 etc which be the OD of the bushing am i right? the question remains about the best option about the upper control arms... is it best to rebuild or replace the whole arm?
I pulled a set last week, I'll check tomorrow.
cheers
mikes68
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by mikes68 »

Shaunp wrote:Buy full kit of arms, caster bushes, spring perches etc from the US, costs the same and it's all new, and painted. With respect to the lower arm bush the differance is in the eccentric caster bolts, later Oz falcons have a larger dia bolt this why the bushes are different.
Okay, been hunting around some of the common sites for suspension kits and not sure what to go for... Looking to take it back to stock parts but some of the kit prices vary a bit.

Any suggestions? Anyone had good / bad experiences?
Fifty Years Afloat

We can't alter the direction of the wind,
But we can adjust our sails
steve851
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

Post by steve851 »

Mike I've been looking at a front suspension kit from CJ Pony that kit includes steering tie rods its about 400 bucks US but I'm wonder about about the quality of such a kit. Maybe we can throw the question out that to see if we can get some feed back.
mikes68
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by mikes68 »

Thanks Steve. Yeah I think I saw that one as well. Looks to be about the bottom end of the price range.
Fifty Years Afloat

mikes68
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by mikes68 »

I had a close up look at Travs68 FB on the weekend and have PM'd him a question about what he got and where from...
Fifty Years Afloat

Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Shaunp »

I got the one without the tie rods, because I have an XY falcon drag link and Falcon brakes, so can't use them. I think it was just less than $300.
mikes68
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by mikes68 »

Shaunp wrote:I got the one without the tie rods, because I have an XY falcon drag link and Falcon brakes, so can't use them. I think it was just less than $300.
How long ago and which site there Shaun?
Fifty Years Afloat

steve851
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

Post by steve851 »

Kentuckey Mustangs do a suspension kit minus tie rods for about 300USD
MustangMedic
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by MustangMedic »

What about TCP, and then there is never any doubt about quality or longevity.Just a thought.
Cheers,
Medic
Cheers.
Medic
(Always work smarter not harder!!!)
67 C Code coupe
mikes68
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by mikes68 »

So this is the one that was mentioned earlier in the thread from CJ Pony Parts... Suspension kit

$400.00
Fifty Years Afloat

steve851
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

Post by steve851 »

Indeed it is Mike, a conveniant way to order stuff, but as you said, the bottom end of the price range.
Who is TCP by the way?