Cruzn66

Create your project threads here if you prefer to keep them out of the regular forums

Moderator: Moderators

Cruzn65
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Re: Cruzn66

Post by Cruzn65 »

bit more work this Saturday, Mike got cutting and welding on the rear left hand side internal rain rail and I swapped out the headlight bucket he kindly transported back from his Canberra trip.

Here is the section that was pictured back at the start of the post. After scratching away Mike discovered a "mexican" patch. We agreed it needed to be removed and it shows as the square section cut below.

The photo below shows the rotten section removed including the mexican patch which is a little harder to see.

The fit of the new fabbed up section

Welded in and ground down the new section stated to take shape.

Another good few hours spent making some progress with time after for a quick beer or two :drink: Still a few more jobs to work through before stage 2.
early Mustang enthusiast\collector of all bits Mustang
Nuts
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Nuts »

Progress! That's what we like to hear. :like: Well done Craig and Mike I suppose.
My Motto - Don't get Caught! If you do, Blame Someone Else!

MUSTANG - Fantastic Not Plastic
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

Nice work fellas!
scott66stang
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by scott66stang »

Good job Boys :like:
Cruzn65
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Cruzn65 »

with Nationals behind me (as disappointing as they were for SOME CAM :poke: ) and Mikes car out of his garage at the painters, it made sense to get some more work done on the project.

With plenty of words of encouragement at the show and seeing Mike get over the resto hump I found some inspiration.

So with Mike looking lonely standing in his garage with nothing but an empty space and a welder in one hand and grinder in the other I was able to supply him with another patient :)

We started the rain gutter some weeks go and part of our time on Saturday was spent fabbing up the gutter itself. It isnt welded in but looks like this... the old and the ugly the new and the awesome :)

Moving from the rain gutter to the quarter panel repair we spent most of the day cutting and welding the new bit in place.

here is the starting cut

Mike cut the length in sections so we could determine how far we needed to go but in the end decided it was going to be better to go all the way across.

next step lift the spot welds and remaining bit of metal

Then I cleaned up the surface. Looking at the wheel well down at the rocker it was evident there was a bit more rust.

Mike suggested cutting the rocker end off to get at it better.... I fell over.... by the time I got back up he had copped the end off.

After repairing the wheel well section Mike grafted the rocker end back on. we cleaned all the metal with the usual metal prep products as well. The new section was hole punched ready for spot welds and then tacked in place.

Then the length was welded in place....

and then welds cleaned up

Then beers were had :drink: :drink: Thanks to the guru another good days work and one step closer to getting th bodywork sorted.
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

Nuts wrote:Progress! That's what we like to hear. :like: Well done Craig and Mike I suppose.
& Pete as it looks like his shop ....... ;)
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

Cruzn65 wrote: Image
Put the guard back on the grinder. Those discs have a habit of exploding & as one who has seen someone loose an eye, I suggest the guard be fitted NOW .... :impatient:
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet
scott66stang
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by scott66stang »

I too am guilty of no grinder guard Kerry, and i have had a few let go, but at least i wear welding gloves and face shield when doing it Mike. :poke:

On another note, good bit of progress boys, that rain gutter is a pain in the .... alot of time involved. Lucky i dont have to do much to my one.
xpconnor
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by xpconnor »

Good work fellas
"The Mustang is full of Awesome"
Exhausted
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Exhausted »

ozbilt wrote:
Nuts wrote:Progress! That's what we like to hear. :like: Well done Craig and Mike I suppose.
Some of the repairs were done in my shop mainly by Mike with Craig supervising :outtahere:
mikes68
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by mikes68 »

These most recent pics were at my place...

I ALWAYS wear goggles / faceshield... okay, so a little lax on the gloves but I still all 3 of my fingers!
Fifty Years Afloat

We can't alter the direction of the wind,
But we can adjust our sails
Cruzn65
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Cruzn65 »

Exhausted wrote:
ozbilt wrote:
Some of the repairs were done in my shop mainly by Mike with Craig supervising :outtahere:
yep this was at Mikes place, he felt naked without a Mustang project where his is normally parked... plus it has been living there since just before the nationals knowing we were going to have another go at these repairs.

yep Mike is the man behind the tools... Im one of the tools. The tool for getting in the way, cleaning, asking stupid questions and getting beer :) I have certainly learnt a lot, much of which would pass anyone by that pays for someone else to do the resto. I really appreciate Mike's patience, I'm sure the job would take half as long if I didn't interrupt.

Hopefully when it comes to putting Mike's back together I can be of assistance. :drink:
Cruzn65
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Cruzn65 »

scott66stang wrote:
On another note, good bit of progress boys, that rain gutter is a pain in the .... alot of time involved. Lucky i dont have to do much to my one.
Yes anyone buying a convertible should look at this section as I haven't seen too many that have lasted this long without some need for repair. The other side has less damage but still needs a bit of attention.
scott66stang
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by scott66stang »

Cruzn65 wrote:
scott66stang wrote:
Yes anyone buying a convertible should look at this section as I haven't seen too many that have lasted this long without some need for repair. The other side has less damage but still needs a bit of attention.
As Mike would know as he used mine as reference, its funny how rusted my whole convertible [s]is[/s] was but that gutter is in very usable condition, pretty much just a little rusted on the overlap joins. I could just sand blast and seam sealer if i was real slack.
xpconnor
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by xpconnor »

scott66stang wrote:
Cruzn65 wrote:
scott66stang wrote:
As Mike would know as he used mine as reference, its funny how rusted my whole convertible [s]is[/s] was but that gutter is in very usable condition, pretty much just a little rusted on the overlap joins. I could just sand blast and seam sealer if i was real slack.

Mines the same. Only a couple of small holes to weld up and clean up the joins and it should be good to go. Don't fancy having to try and fab up a gutter, well past my skill set.
"The Mustang is full of Awesome"