GT350 tribute

For those of us who are lucky enough to have a working Mustang instead of a project!
StephenSLR
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Re: GT350 tribute

Post by StephenSLR »

ozbilt wrote:Collector cars are not "historic" cars.
Ah, so what deems a car to be a 'collector' in the US and is there any driving restrictions, etc.?

s
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

StephenSLR wrote:
ozbilt wrote:Collector cars are not "historic" cars.
Ah, so what deems a car to be a 'collector' and is there any driving restrictions, etc.?

s
Collector car is a car deemed to be "collectible" & usually 25 years or older.

Driving restrictions are only put on the car by the insurance company, DMV consider it full rego, so if you pay the insurance premium, then drive it at will.
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet
StephenSLR
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by StephenSLR »

ozbilt wrote:Driving restrictions are only put on the car by the insurance company, DMV consider it full rego, so if you pay the insurance premium, then drive it at will.
Cheers, so it's basically like choosing 'Extreme' on the insurance policy < 4000 km per year. Amazing that they have separate plates for it though, are they just novelty like the footy ones on Myplates.com?

s
StephenSLR
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by StephenSLR »

Well,

I picked up the car from SMS last night, it was closing time so my first experience with LHD on Aus. roads was during peak hour and at night, :lol: .

I'm still on Colorado plates so the thought of getting pulled over just added to the experience. Taking off for the first time with gearstick on RHS and how loud the engine is, I was instantly reminded of when I did a few NASCAR laps in Vegas.

The drivers side mirror couldn't be adjusted, when I got out I noticed a philip head screw at the tip of it - adjustment screw?

Lane changing and turning corners had me on full alert, the side mirrors are tiny but the good thing with the fastback is, turn around and there's a huge rear windscreen with a great view.

Also, I couldn't close the doors without the lock button popping up even when holding the handle button in. I had to close the door then lock it with the key - is this how they are?

I live in units and I may have some issues with the noise, after pulling in a neighbour came down to see what the commotion was ... and he loves it! :thumbs:

I drove the Torana over to my sister's and it felt like a modern car in comparison, the handling is so much better though this doesn't detract anything from the fastback. It'll be mainly for weekend cruising so, more fun to drive in my opinion.

Chris at SMS was right about the control arms, I hit a pothole and really felt it, though some of the shock would also be due to the large wheels/low profile tyres and it more than likely has stiff shocks as well.

Catching buses and trains back from my sister's I didn't get home till after midnight so didn't have a chance to go over the car in more detail.

It feels great to have it finally home.

Next stop - lap/sash seat belts.

s
MachAttack
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

Post by MachAttack »

Excellent news Stephen, I take it you got those issues sorted out with the engineer in the end. Happy cruising!
:like:
nassi
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by nassi »

Also, I couldn't close the doors without the lock button popping up even when holding the handle button in. I had to close the door then lock it with the key - is this how they are?
Yes, keyless locking started with the 67 model year.
StephenSLR
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by StephenSLR »

Thanks for that, I also notice the steering wheel doesn't lock when you take the key out of the ignition - normal?

s
nassi
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by nassi »

StephenSLR wrote:Thanks for that, I also notice the steering wheel doesn't lock when you take the key out of the ignition - normal?

s
That didnt happen until the 1970 model year.
StephenSLR
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by StephenSLR »

Thanks,

One more, on a 1969 302 engine, where is the serial no.?

s
nassi
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by nassi »

Possibly on the RHS of the block toward the front just above the sump.
On many windsors it is at the back of the engine at the top just behind the intake manifold (may be an Australian thing).
Another place I've seen it is front RHS just behind the alternator.
I'm not saying any of these places are correct, just that is where I've seen them.
cheers
StephenSLR
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by StephenSLR »

Was just thinking about what I needed for rego. Holy crap, I need a weighbridge ticket .

Time to take it out for another spin, :mrgreen: this time in a bit of rain but at least in the daylight and I got to run it on the freeway.

The ride really isn't that harsh, I didn't hit any potholes as big as the one the other night.

I don't really care for those prongs on the gearstick, they'd dig into my fingers so I'm trying to get used to gripping with only two fingers.

I noticed there is a bad blind spot, coming off the freeway and turning left, that sloping pillar on the right blocks quite a bit of view but I was patient and decided to be sure and wait for the traffic to pass.

It was a good feeling driving around got the thumbs up from the road workers and turned a few heads driving past mechanic workshops.

A classic moment in Matt's video is the guy saying, 'the clahk on the dash even works', yeah it works though I can't seem to set it. I tried pulling the stalk both in and out and turning but to no avail. :shrug:

On the way back I noticed a red light on in the speedo, wasn't too sure about it, high beams are usually blue but I tried the indicator stalk, nope, looked on the floor, nope, gotta be somewhere. When I came to a stop I moved the floor mat - spotted. Funnily enough I first checked the RHS thinking it's be near the tunnel, :lol: it's where I'm used to seeing them.

One thing I want to fix, if I can, I could smell a bit of petrol quite a few times, it'd come and go, any ideas where this would be coming from? Do double pumper carbs get a bit whiffy, could it be petrol tank breather tube or fumes escaping from the filler neck in the boot, I noticed it had a hose clamp at the bottom near the mat.

s
StephenSLR
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by StephenSLR »

I've yet to wash it and it still came out pretty good in the pic even though it's a bit dusty after I drove it in the rain a few weeks back.

I drove it down to Geoff from All Vehicle Restraints, we had a chat about seat belt options.

I thought I'd get a few opinions on rear belts. I was told I can't keep the current rear belts but I can opt for no rear belts.

If I choose to have rears I have to have ADR approved belts, I assumed this meant lap-sash but Geoff says I can get ADR lap belts.

I can have set this up as a 5 seater or 4 seater but I'm thinking just 2 lap belts for the rear to save me drilling holes in the panels. I notice those in QLD tend to have lap-sash in the rears, I suspect this is due to L02 regs.?

s
Last edited by StephenSLR on Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
jusTANG
PatCH the Platypus
PatCH the Platypus

Post by jusTANG »

Stephen,
I have 3 laps across the rear of mine. the centre belt just shares the same holes as the other two belts so I didn't drill any more holes.

cheers,
j
Cheers,
j
StephenSLR
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by StephenSLR »

jusTANG wrote:Stephen,
I have 3 laps across the rear of mine. the centre belt just shares the same holes as the other two belts so I didn't drill any more holes.
Cheers, I thought that would be the case, at the moment I can't see myself ever having three people in the rear though so I may just go with two.

They did call them 2+2 after all. :)

s
jusTANG
PatCH the Platypus
PatCH the Platypus

Post by jusTANG »

yes very good point

a coupe is a little different on the back seat
(I also have 3 tin lids so it was needed)

I have also needed it once to take 4 young guys to a formal so has come in handy.
Cheers,
j