Rob's Fastback

Create your project threads here if you prefer to keep them out of the regular forums

Moderator: Moderators

hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Re: Rob's Fastback

Post by hybrid »

Ahhhh yes. A "clean" engine is a must.
Imagine opening the bonnet and having someone see a dirty old cam. The SHAME! :lol:
Equus
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by Equus »

Hi Another update.
i used the KBS product to paint the engine bay and gearbox. I also needed to touch up the edge of the fender and the inner fender to cowl bracket.
Do not laugh at my attempts - i do not profess to be a professional anything!!!!

Before

After- brushed on the Satin black which is still to glossy- They did say i can thin it up to 20% to knock back the gloss.

Gearbox- Used KBS corporate blue Motorcoater product( trial as i will do my block with this) - loved it Easy to brush on and covers well.

Fender edge

cheers

Rob
In the middle of the journey!
gbx78
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by gbx78 »

mate, any effort is a good one, i doubt anyone on here would laugh at anyone giving something a go whether professional or not .. i think it looks great and at the end of the day as long as your happy thats all the matters .. :thumbs:
Equus
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by Equus »

gbx78 wrote:mate, any effort is a good one, i doubt anyone on here would laugh at anyone giving something a go whether professional or not .. i think it looks great and at the end of the day as long as your happy thats all the matters .. :thumbs:
Thanks for the encouragement :thumbs:

Rob
Equus
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by Equus »

Further updates after some more fun !!

I started modifying the spring perches -

and have re fitted the wiring looms after some repair;

cheers

Rob
mwizz
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by mwizz »

Good work Rob
ponyride
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by ponyride »

Nice work Rob. I like the look of the KBS paint you used for the gearbox, it certainly looks like the right colour for the Ford Corporate Blue.
Rick.

Old things amuse all minds.
Equus
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by Equus »

Update :
Started work on cleaning the engine- recruited the kids - next i will have them porting the heads!

cheers

Rob
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

Noticed the young bloke wearing his PPE (gloves) while the young lady, well lets just say she might be the tougher one ..... ;)
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet
Equus
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by Equus »

ozbilt wrote:Noticed the young bloke wearing his PPE (gloves) while the young lady, well lets just say she might be the tougher one ..... ;)
The young bloke has seen dad working with PPE in the garage.
And Mum has had a hand in softening him up :argh:
Ausjacko
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Ausjacko »

My eldest was a good helper in the shed before she 'grew up'. Ahh, the good old days...

It is good to see the family involved.
'68 J-code GT Fastback
'67 S-code GT coupe, 'Pink Bitz' formerly known as 'Hookin' up a brother'
'69 M_____ GTS Fastback 'Blasted'
Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Shaunp »

Mate I'll give you a tip on masking. When mask an edge like the fender top, door jamb etc, you reverse mask it this way you don't get the same sharp masked edge. Bascally you fold the tape back on it's self rather than just masking to the edge, and you just sniff the colour up to it, you kind of get a blended edge rather than an extreme cut off.
Equus
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by Equus »

Thank mate , that is why I like it here :thumbs: luckily in this instance I avoided much of a line . Then again it looks better than what the previous owner had attempted.

Cheers

Rob
Equus
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by Equus »

Hi Guys,
further update- started working on the engine. Originally was going to home port my E7TE heads but found a good buy on evilbay for a set of good GT40 heads. Even though the engine was running well. The cam has been changed and new timing chain fitted. ARP oilpump driveshaft.
Painted the block and waiting for the heads to be returned as they are being surfaced and the new valve stem seals and springs are being fitted.

Here is my attempt at painting the block- i hope this KBS motorcoater holds up well.

Rob
Equus
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by Equus »

Continued working on the engine - heads are on, Then re assembly of the front - timing case,waterpump, harmonic balancer,

Guess what the harmonic balancer just touches the excessive casting around one of the water pump bolt bosses(see arrow!) :argh: - damn i will need to remove the pump and do some metal massaging!

Rob