That 67 coupe

Create your project threads here if you prefer to keep them out of the regular forums

Moderator: Moderators

Ausjacko
Mustang King
Mustang King

Re: That 67 coupe

Post by Ausjacko »

Please take a …

Seat. We have been looking at seat options for a while now. The recovered standard seats are fine but offer little by way of long distance support or neck restraint in event of a prang. What’s more, Big Mc installed the three-point seatbelt mounting points but there is little point using them if we don’t have high back seats. Medic fitted the 69 seats to his car a while back and they look great. This got us thinking…

Reading other project threads, the options appear to be using the ‘69 or later high back seat or falcon ute seats; ute seats so you get the recline forward option. BA or later Falcon seem to be the go with XR or the FPV models coming with side bolsters and leather for some models. But, all of them come with either XR or FPV embroidered or embossed into them; not handy for a Mustang. You will have to find a solution for the seat tracks as the standard F mounting platform will not bolt straight in and even if it did, it will result in you sitting about 100mm higher. Just on that, I measured the headroom between the XR seat (less platform) and the standard seat with new buns. I would say that headroom is about 5mm less in the XR option; acceptable for me as I shrink in old age.

A friend used the ‘69 seats with the new TMI sports buns. The seats bolt straight in on the standard tracks/rails. He had them recovered in leather and this looks great but was costly and he found the seats a little wide as they fouled the armrest when the door was closed. Costs: seats $500, TMI buns at $150, recovering in leather $1300= $2950. BA seats: seats $250, sliders $70, bits to fit $20, recovering in leather $1300= $1640. BA seats here we come! Note, we did not use the electric adjustments or the platform where the electric motors are mounted.

Ronin had a pair of BA XR ute seats and sliders that we took off his hands AND he dropped them down prior to the show in February. First step was to remove the plastic trim. Make sure you remove the centre cap on the seat lumbar adjusting knob. There is a phillips head screw under the cap that needs to come out before you pull the knob free. All knobs will pull free with the side trim unbolting and unscrewing. A couple of bolts connect the seat base from the back. Just on the outer side trim, they all come with a hole for the forward/rear electric adjustment. Not sure how I am going to cover this or if I will bother at all.

After removing the head rests (they just pull out if you depress the tab on the side), the next bit to come off is the plastic trim on the rear of the seat. After removing the screws at the base of the trim, carefully lift one side and push use a screwdriver or similar to feel for the plastic side tab toward the middle of the seat that holds it to the frame. Push the tab in and it will disconnect. Do the same for the other side and with these free, the trim should slide down and away. Notice in the image how the hook shaped tabs at the top of the trim keep it secured to the top of the frame

With the back trim off, you can access the headrest tubes (the things the headrest metal posts slide in). These will push out from inside the seat if you squeeze and push the end of the plastic tubes. At the bottom of this shot, you can see the lower end of a tube that I had already removed. The remaining tube is still installed, just behind the seat frame toward the top of the shot.

There is no need to remove any of the lumbar adjusting sling or springs.

With the trim removed it is upholstery ‘degloving’ time. This is really straightforward as there are no hog rings or wire listing to be cut here (thank god says Nuts); this is a modern seat designed to be installed in three-minute stations. The upholstery is held taut on the edge of the frame by lengths of small C shaped plastic channel that are sewn across the edge of the cover. Carefully lever these off and you are away.

An example of the plastic C channels that hold the edge of the seat cover in place on the frame

As I mentioned, no hogs rings here. Industrial velcro (it is probably called something else but it works the same) hold the upholstery into the valleys of the panels as shown here. Hold the bottom layer close to where you are separating it to avoid damaging it:

The blue hook rail is in the valley of the seat foam and gives the cover the shape along with the cut of the foam.

With the upholstery off the seat, the foams simply pulls away from the frame tubes; that’s it. You should now have a frame (which looks to be well made) the foam and the upholstery.
A shot of the rear frame

I used lengths of 5mm plate and mounted these over the original XR seat bolts.

In a later shot you might notice that the plate is not centred around these bolts. It is slightly offset toward the centre of the seat for two reasons; the XR bolt pattern is not a square, being slightly narrower at the front. Secondly, to fit the seat rails at 355mm centres, they could not be centred with the XR bolts. The seat holes in a ‘67-68 Mustang are laid out in a 355mm square pattern.

Here is a shot of the seat rails mounted to the 5mm plate. I mounted them upside down on the first attempt-doh!:

And how they are finished

A couple of things I had to do to make the universal sliders work:
I bolted the sliders to the plate. You could weld them if you were more confident than me that you would not wreck them.
I ground down the XR mounting bolts flush with the nut on the plate at the rear to allow clearance of the slider as it extended.
I slotted the mounting holes in the plate to allow for some adjustment.
I tack welded the head of the new mounting bolts (5/16th UNC x 1.25inch) to the seat rails to make it easier to install the seats in the car (like the original seats).

We will hopefully get the seats recovered in the next couple of weeks. H had reign over the design so go ask her if you have a question. I did veto pretty quickly the talk of the pink embroidered horses. The upholsterer noted that as these seats have the plastic trim on the back that you could get away with using one large hide as opposed to two. At roughly $300 per hide that is a good saving and another vote in favour of this option.
'68 J-code GT Fastback
'67 S-code GT coupe, 'Pink Bitz' formerly known as 'Hookin' up a brother'
'69 M_____ GTS Fastback 'Blasted'
MustangMedic
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by MustangMedic »

Ian,
Looks the goods, so while you have the seats out, fit the three point harness like mine. I know a bloke that could do this for you....but, after seeing the seat project, you would do it easy and the write up even easier.
Cheers,
Ash
PS. Did I send you the picture of the 200kg Marlin I tagged and released.
Cheers.
Medic
(Always work smarter not harder!!!)
67 C Code coupe
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

Ausjacko wrote:
Here is a shot of the seat rails mounted to the 5mm plate. I mounted them upside down on the first attempt-doh!:
Yeah I did that too, and left it like that for a while. All it meant was that the adjuster bracket stayed put as the seat moved. Not a huge deal, but I fixed it after a while when I had nothing better to do.
Ausjacko
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Ausjacko »

Medic
No fish email that I recall.

JBB has a set of three point belts in his fastback and I will get mine from them
http://www.apvsafetyproducts.com/genera ... seat-belts
as they have a single lower mounting point as opposed to two.

Hybrid
I would have left them like that but the readers here have eyes like hawks and someone would have noticed ;-)
'68 J-code GT Fastback
xpconnor
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by xpconnor »

We should start a thread of all the stupid things we've done while restoring our cars. So far I have put the diff pumpkin in upside down, put the axles in the wrong side of the diff housing and fitted the front springs to the wrong sides of the car. And that's just what I remember off the top of my head. :$
"The Mustang is full of Awesome"
nassi
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by nassi »

for anyone else looking at this conversion, consider the AU ute seats as they do not have XR or anything else on the leather.
Ausjacko
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Ausjacko »

now isn't this where someone who just started at a wreckers could chime in with some advice on what seats have what... Pete??
'68 J-code GT Fastback
Foresight
Zebras for hire
Zebras for hire

Post by Foresight »

MustangMedic wrote: PS. Did I send you the picture of the 200kg Marlin I tagged and released.
Ash I think it's about time we had a fishing thread on here....

Edit:
http://mustangtech.com.au/Forums/viewtopic/t=5206.html
Cheers,
Lee & Q
69 428 mach 1 - Guess who...it's Q!
MustangMedic
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by MustangMedic »

There is potential for a fishing thread....for Queenslanders. Jacko mine are single point on the floor just like Darryl's....Hemco in Bendigo do them.
Cheers,
Ash
Cheers.
Medic
(Always work smarter not harder!!!)
67 C Code coupe
Nuts
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Nuts »

Foresight wrote:
MustangMedic wrote: PS. Did I send you the picture of the 200kg Marlin I tagged and released.
Ash I think it's about time we had a fishing thread on here....

Edit:
http://mustangtech.com.au/Forums/viewtopic/t=5206.html
Don't encourage him! I'm disgusted at his fish stories!
My Motto - Don't get Caught! If you do, Blame Someone Else!

MUSTANG - Fantastic Not Plastic
Pinto-Pete
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Pinto-Pete »

Ausjacko wrote:now isn't this where someone who just started at a wreckers could chime in with some advice on what seats have what... Pete??
In as far as it's toyota exclusively, what advise on fords are you after Ian..?
I'm Batman...

Crane Operator
Mammoet Australia
Rye Park Wind Farm
Pinto-Pete
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Pinto-Pete »

MustangMedic wrote:There is potential for a fishing thread....for Queenslanders.
Ash
Been there a fortnight already a naturalised Queenslander.... :poke: Take anyone those blokes....
I'm Batman...

Crane Operator
Mammoet Australia
Rye Park Wind Farm
nassi
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by nassi »

Pinto-Pete wrote:
MustangMedic wrote:There is potential for a fishing thread....for Queenslanders.
Ash
Been there a fortnight already a naturalised Queenslander.... :poke: Take anyone those blokes....
Yep, take anyone. But notice you were thrown back????
Pinto-Pete
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Pinto-Pete »

nassi wrote:
Pinto-Pete wrote:
Ash
Yep, take anyone. But notice you were thrown back????
457 visa....
I'm Batman...

Crane Operator
Mammoet Australia
Rye Park Wind Farm
nassi
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by nassi »

more like 24/7 visa