That 67 coupe

Create your project threads here if you prefer to keep them out of the regular forums

Moderator: Moderators

Pinto-Pete
Mustang King
Mustang King

Re: That 67 coupe

Post by Pinto-Pete »

nassi wrote:more like 24/7 visa
Nah 4n1 visa actually....
I'm Batman...

Crane Operator
Mammoet Australia
Rye Park Wind Farm
nassi
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by nassi »

Pinto-Pete wrote:
nassi wrote:more like 24/7 visa
Nah 4n1 visa actually....
Your to good for me mate. :like:
Pinto-Pete
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Pinto-Pete »

Am I mistaken or is this your place of origin..?
I'm Batman...

Crane Operator
Mammoet Australia
Rye Park Wind Farm
nassi
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by nassi »

Pinto-Pete wrote:Am I mistaken or is this your place of origin..?
No mistake mate.
Pinto-Pete
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Pinto-Pete »

Hahahah, well that explains the testiness.....
I'm Batman...

Crane Operator
Mammoet Australia
Rye Park Wind Farm
nassi
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by nassi »

Pinto-Pete wrote:Hahahah, well that explains the testiness.....
Damn, I thought that might have worn off, I left in 86.
:lol:
Pinto-Pete
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Pinto-Pete »

Cant unbend a banana... :lol:
I'm Batman...

Crane Operator
Mammoet Australia
Rye Park Wind Farm
Ausjacko
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Ausjacko »

Please take a seat continued…

Well doesn’t time fly. Since the last update, I found a new guy to do the seats. There is definitely nothing wrong with the first guy we were considering but something new came up; it is funny how these things pan out.

I had placed a number of calls and visited a number of upholsters when investigating options. Reading this facebook thingy, I saw a link to a guy who was in Melbourne who had done a pretty impressive job on a Falcon XFish; left a message with Drew from LeatherFx (http://leatherfx.com.au/).

In the interim, I had spoken to the first guy and had pretty much decided to go with him as his work is pretty impressive. Drew rings back about four days later and I nearly cut him short and say that we had already found someone. But, call it old age or going soft- whatever- I outline what we are thinking of and we have a chat. In short, Drew has relocated to Canberra and is running his business from here. He does a lot of leather interiors into new cars for the dealers but also does custom work. As we are talking, he suggests either a stitched mustang logo, which we liked but had not thought much more of, or embossing a logo; now he had my attention. He puts up a price for full leather that was pretty darn well great if he could deliver. He showed us heaps of photos of his work which effectively is recovering late model cars in leather. His work on BA seats was pretty good.

A visit to his house with H saw us selecting leather, colours, doubling stitching and suede inserts. The more options we entertained the more I suspected this was going to cost H another kidney (I hear those filtering machines are pretty good now). “Nope”, says Drew “this is all in the price I gave you”. In short, we opted for suede shoulder bolsters and D panel on the base, a double row of stitching around the leg bolster and of course hot pink stitching with an embossed Mustang logo on the seat back. As the supplier had not done a Mustang embossing before, I sent up two logos and they used the one with more detail- turns out to be the older style one.

The seat covers eventually arrived and Drew fitted them over the last couple of weeks. He dropped them over on Friday noting that with a bit of heat the wrinkles in the back will disappear. Being minus 3 deg was not helping. He showed me a couple of photos of another seat he did before heat- looking like one of ours- and after showing the difference. As I was keen to get the seats in, I took him on his word.

Here they are in our dirve:

Fitted the new APV seat belts while the seats were out. If you do order these things, make sure you stipulate you want them to fit the drop link to the belt. JBB and I had a bastard of a time trying to do this. We eventually got them sorted and fitted to the car. Thanks for dropping up to lend a hand John.

The seats took a little longer to fit. Firstly, I had to re-tack four of the bolts in place due to my dodgy first welding attempts. Those suckers are not coming off now!

Secondly, securing the seats down locked the side trim nice and securely to the floor thereby preventing it from sliding. Back under the car to loosen the nuts so I could remove the seat side trim. Took about five mm off each bottom edge of the trim. Refitted seats to the car – read back under the car. While reading this please note it was hovering around 3 deg all day and I don’t have heating in the garage but I have learnt and now use carpet to lie on.

Thirdly, after step two, I realised that the clunking sound when sliding these things was the top portion of the track hitting those little metal sled shaped things that go between the track and the floor. This was occurring as I did not fit spacers under the track. Back under the car and completely remove the seats.

Locate eight nuts and use these as spacers as this is all I needed. Re fit seats- read get back under the car. Break frozen snot candles from both nostrils which the grandson mistakenly thought were walrus tusks.
With the spacers now fitted, I realise that the front section of the carpet ends just behind the front seat mounting holes. So what?- well there is a line of overlocking that creates a bump in that region. With the seat sled thingys in place and tightened, they were now bowing up as the end was being held up by the bloody overlocking. Sliding the seat forward resulted in the track still fouling on the leading edge of this sled thingy AND the side trim was still catching on the floor. Back under the car to loosen the bolts so I could slide the sled thingys out. Side trim removed and a whopping 20mm taken off the lower edge of each along with nicely (if I do say so myself) shaped portion off the rear that was now hitting on the seatbelt retractor now that it could slide back that far.

Back under the car- blah, blah blah. Seat slides really well but there was still a little work left on the trim. More taken off to completely clear the retractor in the fully back position- which is where I need it.

The seats look great, match the rest of the interior perfectly and provide a great driving position. Once the chilblains subside and I regain feeling along the left side of my body (lost in the many hours laying under the car) I will be able to get some insitu photos. Until then, H and I will give the seats a test in the garage! Does suede stain easily?
'68 J-code GT Fastback
'67 S-code GT coupe, 'Pink Bitz' formerly known as 'Hookin' up a brother'
'69 M_____ GTS Fastback 'Blasted'
Astro
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by Astro »

Does "H" stand for hand :fap:

Apologies to the real "H" couldn't help myself.. :rotfl:

Cheers

J
I love big birds - I cannot lie...
nassi
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by nassi »

Suede is a bastard for stains. :lol:
Nuts
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Nuts »

They look shithouse Jacko!!

Was that a spelling mistake?? :mrgreen:
Last edited by Nuts on Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
My Motto - Don't get Caught! If you do, Blame Someone Else!

MUSTANG - Fantastic Not Plastic
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

Yes suede stains really bad, so both of you on best behavior please ....... :poke:
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet
chopmgw
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by chopmgw »

Those seats look shit hot :thumbs:
I smell oranges !

Michael
Ausjacko
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Ausjacko »

HI Everyone
Not sure how this facebook thingy works but here is what I hope is a link to some shots a guy took of the car at the regular Friday night RJs meet here in the natcap.

https://www.facebook.com/40749442272276 ... =1&theater

Cheers
Jacko
'68 J-code GT Fastback
'67 S-code GT coupe, 'Pink Bitz' formerly known as 'Hookin' up a brother'
'69 M_____ GTS Fastback 'Blasted'
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

Ausjacko wrote:HI Everyone
Not sure how this facebook thingy works but here is what I hope is a link to some shots a guy took of the car at the regular Friday night RJs meet here in the natcap.

https://www.facebook.com/40749442272276 ... =1&theater

Cheers
Jacko
Get him to hold the camera straight next time ....... :poke:
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet