My 68

Create your project threads here if you prefer to keep them out of the regular forums

Moderator: Moderators

ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: My 68

Post by ozbilt »

steve851 wrote: Who is TCP by the way?
TCP = Total Control Products, now owned by Chris Alston in Sacramento. I was heavily involved in that company's beginnings with R&D & general ideas of products.

However, I still believe that a well set up standard type front end is way superior to any aftermarket stuff including rack & pinion.

The reason I became involved in TCP was I was looking to make all the pieces for converting early Mustangs to RHD. That was when I first moved to the US & back here all cars had to be converted. The change in law allowing LHD put paid to that idea.
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet
steve851
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

Post by steve851 »

Is a long time since I last posted anything. But thats not to say i haven't been progressing with my project. Since my last post, the body has been a shell for the past few months. I've been working on the many small dents I have found all over the body (funny how you think you've got them all, and then you find another) I've also cut the rusty bits out out of the front floors and the battery compartment and with my basic welding skills Ive replace the offending items.

All etch primed and sealed after replacing the inner battery bay

I dont know about the rest of you but it felt really odd making the first cut into a car body
Like I said, basic welding skills, but it seem to have done the job, now for the fun part...welding the underside.
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by boofhead »

Good work - the boys of WA are a very clever group of individuals.
I will someday think of something clever to say.
67fastysm
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by 67fastysm »

yep good work ! we have just finally finished all mine so i know what its like .
Age is a high price for maturity
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

steve851 wrote: I don't know about the rest of you but it felt really odd making the first cut into a car body
I do not remember, it was a long time ago (1967) ....... :coat:
Kerry

nassi
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by nassi »

ozbilt wrote:
steve851 wrote: I don't know about the rest of you but it felt really odd making the first cut into a car body
I do not remember, it was a long time ago (1967) ....... :coat:
To you it would have been painless................. getting paid for it and someone else's car. :rotfl:
scott66stang
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by scott66stang »

All looks good to me Steve, keep up the good work...and pictures...we like pictures. :thumbs:
steve851
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

Post by steve851 »

well i haven't posted anything here for awhile but I have been progressing. First up as i don't have the luxury of a rotisserie I went for the slightly more risky option of tilting the body up whilst resting it on a couple of tyres
And after a few hours of degreasing, scrubbing and wire brushing I ended up with this.
So the next thing was to get some consistency of the colour on the under side. I used a s subframe black and put sound deaden-er over some key areas such a seams etc. No doubt someone is asking "did he put seam sealer on the seams".....of course i did.
nassi
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by nassi »

While I'm NOT recommending the method........ I do appreciate the ingenuity.
And before the OHS folk jump in........................... I'll bet you have all done something similar when the need outweighed the heed. You just didnt post the pictures. :lol:
steve851
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

Post by steve851 »

Well as I always say Nassi...."Improvise,adapt and overcome"
nassi
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by nassi »

steve851 wrote:Well as I always say Nassi...."Improvise,adapt and overcome"
:like:
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

Used to do that with rally cars out in the bush, throw down a couple of tyres & roll it on it's side. Only difference was that they were fully assembled cars .... :lol:

Of course there was the issue of fluid leakage, however the forests seemed to have recovered ...... ;)

Ahh the good ol days ....... :like:
Kerry

nassi
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by nassi »

ozbilt wrote:Used to do that with rally cars out in the bush, throw down a couple of tyres & roll it on it's side. Only difference was that they were fully assembled cars .... :lol:

Of course there was the issue of fluid leakage, however the forests seemed to have recovered ...... ;)

I have just forwarded this post to Greenpiece.
Hopefully they can use it in there revegitation programme. :lol:
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by boofhead »

and recycling program...
I will someday think of something clever to say.
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

nassi wrote:
ozbilt wrote:Used to do that with rally cars out in the bush, throw down a couple of tyres & roll it on it's side. Only difference was that they were fully assembled cars .... :lol:

I have just forwarded this post to Greenpeace.
Hopefully they can use it in there revegitation programme. :lol:
boofhead wrote:and recycling program...
The oil came out of the ground, we just put it back in a different spot ..... :poke:
Kerry