A New Fastback On The Block (Aussie Adventures)

Create your project threads here if you prefer to keep them out of the regular forums

Moderator: Moderators

Kosa
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

Re: A New Fastback On The Block (Aussie Adventures)

Post by Kosa »

shane427 wrote:Mate keep up the good work and take heaps of pictures so you rememeber how everything goes back. Don't get too down on more rust in the floor sections. They need replacing anyway so hey whats more holes.

How are your front and rear frames rails? - get underneath have a poke around with a screwdriver and take some pics for the experts to look at.

yer im not, im not to bothered man i just had this rusty disease grrrrr

brb off to get those pics for u ;)
Kosa
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

Post by Kosa »

all done, there uploading on my photobucket as i type.

http://s898.photobucket.com/albums/ac18 ... mit/Rails/

dig in. doesn't seem like rust on the rails but some on the pans around em'
shane427
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by shane427 »

Haha by expert...I was calling out a few others that have already posted in this thread :poke:

I only have only a few years on you mate, and few more more months as a mustang owner :)

Your rear rails do look fairly good though.

The front looks as though it has a kink (pic 10) and pic 8 looks a little suspect.

I patched a section of my front and am fabbing up a new section to replace the section around the spring hanger on the rear. Not that hard... but in your case if you need to take out the floors, it may be better to just replace.
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

Those pics show the rails in good condition. The rail extensions can be repaired while the floor is being cahnged (recommend a full floor change)

The 1/4 panels will probably get changed as well as it really is quite inexpensive to replace the outer sheet metal on one of these cars (compared to a new car).

That metal you are talking about (the magnet will not stick to it) is the leaded join for the the 1/4 panel to the roof skin. Leave that alone for the moment. If playing with lead always wash your hands immediately with cold soapy water.
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet
Kosa
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

Post by Kosa »

ozbilt wrote:Those pics show the rails in good condition. The rail extensions can be repaired while the floor is being cahnged (recommend a full floor change)

The 1/4 panels will probably get changed as well as it really is quite inexpensive to replace the outer sheet metal on one of these cars (compared to a new car).

That metal you are talking about (the magnet will not stick to it) is the leaded join for the the 1/4 panel to the roof skin. Leave that alone for the moment. If playing with lead always wash your hands immediately with cold soapy water.
i was thinking a full floor actually, would look alot nicer/cleaner then just replacing sections.

Yes on the dot! k will leave it, hmm so that means that one of the two where replaced in its time, interesting...
whats wrong if i touch it?

ooo iv also noticed, one tire is larger then the other three(rear left hand side). my grandfather thinks it might of been raced around one of those big oval race tracks, where one side needs larger tires? i reckon its just a stuff up on the owners part.
Foresight
Zebras for hire
Zebras for hire

Post by Foresight »

Lead = dead
Ok a bit dramatic but its poisonous

A lot of the time with the wheels people tax the proper ones and chuck what ever they can find on them

It's great fun working on your car isn't it? Can't wait to get back to mine
Cheers,
Lee & Q
69 428 mach 1 - Guess who...it's Q!
HappyOne
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by HappyOne »

Kosa,

Just sat down and read this thread from start to finish.

Looks like your project is going to be a great journey and will bring you a lot of satisfaction along the way.

It will be very inspirational for others following its progress….love the fact that any set backs your uncovering are being looked at as part of the process in this journey and your drive and passion is still focused on the end game result.

Thanks for the good read mate; I really hope your positive attitude stays the distance!!

Cheers

Happy One
:thumbs: :headbang: :thumbs:
Never Die Wondering ...What If ????

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they Wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day. "
Kosa
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

Post by Kosa »

Foresight wrote:Lead = dead
Ok a bit dramatic but its poisonous
wow ok... note to self.

Foresight wrote:It's great fun working on your car isn't it? Can't wait to get back to mine
got that right it feel awesome :D . im just not sure where to go from here... fenders?
Kosa
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

Post by Kosa »

HappyOne wrote:Kosa,

Just sat down and read this thread from start to finish.
:Clap: dedication mate lol
HappyOne wrote:Looks like your project is going to be a great journey and will bring you a lot of satisfaction along the way.

It will be very inspirational for others following its progress….love the fact that any set backs your uncovering are being looked at as part of the process in this journey and your drive and passion is still focused on the end game result.

Thanks for the good read mate; I really hope your positive attitude stays the distance!!

Cheers

Happy One
:thumbs: :headbang: :thumbs:
cheers mate, expect more and more pic's and questions to be answered as it rolls on. no more work will be done on it today unfortunately, girlfriend and work got in the way... grrr lol
Kosa
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

Post by Kosa »

well another day with the mustang, and unfortunately the first day of scratching the head and saying "why"... i could take the floors... but why..

well i hit the whole front end today.. and as u could already start guessing im a lil disappointed...

i wasn't quiet sure what comes off first the fenders or the front end so really i had a guess and started with the fenders revealing the first sight of some serious sadness...

Left fender

further into the infected area. ( i believe there's ment to be a bit of metal some where here??

i swear customs didnt clean it... yes that is dirt and dust..

the right side didn't have as much rust ... that i could see lol, this side actually still had the cover thingy on it. fiber glass could still be seen in there though :(

also isnt there ment to be like another half of the radiator support some where here??

i saw this and though... that doesnt look right, later on i dug a screw driver into it and found bog mixed with like a fiber glass?? was weird, didnt seem like there was a point to have it on there but only to deceive...

Well is was a bit of a shock to find this stuff and it kinda frightens me making me wonder what other hidden nasties there will be... i just hope it stops somewhere... i know i could have it worse but it ain't fun when its your own car... i feel ur pain fellow restorers.

some please say there still just panel replacements?? lol
soc123_au
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by soc123_au »

Dont panic Kosa, nothing we wernt expecting. All the stuff you have uncovered requires the same sort of repairs/replacement as the Cage mobile.
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

Some more American handy work :)
scott66stang
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by scott66stang »

soc123_au wrote:Dont panic Kosa, nothing we wernt expecting. All the stuff you have uncovered requires the same sort of repairs/replacement as the Cage mobile.
Agree , 9 times out of ten the lower cowl needs replacing anyway and if it isnt leaking proberly would be close to doing so. The entire Front radiator support panel including that lower bit is only $80 usd.
cage
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by cage »

Keep your chin up mate. I have gone through every emotion you are going through right now. My whole front end including firewall, plenum, floors, back rail was craked etc etc. It gives you the sh!ts but you are not alone mate. This stuff is not hard to get hold off. My advice which is really Steve's advice is to replace these parts and make yourself a structurally solid bad arse car mate. I bought mine in Nov and a year later you can see the stage it is at. Take your time and spend your hard earned on the structural stuff mate and therfore you can start building on a solid foundation. Call me anytime mate if you need to get your frustration out. Should be fun phone calls.
"The simple answer is, even if I have decided I still don't know what to do."
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

cage wrote:My advice which is really Steve's advice is to replace these parts and make yourself a structurally solid bad arse car mate.
Sounds like you also got "The Talk", better still, you, along with Kosa, listened.... :thumbs:
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet