69 CJ build and other cars

Create your project threads here if you prefer to keep them out of the regular forums

Moderator: Moderators

MaxPower
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Re: 69 CJ build and other cars

Post by MaxPower »

I did find a couple of nice GPS options, Nassi. I think I posted a link to one earlier on. But the engineer specifically said it had to be a fixed mechanical drive of some sort. It could go off the diff, the extension housing or a wheel, that was fine. It could be either a cable or electronic, that wasn't an issue either but it had to be fixed and proven that it was calibrated correctly.

I've just had another look at the floor and I think by fixing the tunnel central, the sides off the tunnel can flare out to less of an angle and close up the gaps on the sides. I have to trim some more around the rear corners to clear the side trim mounts but I think that may work.
It's going to take a bit of manipulation I think as the floor is way off sitting in the rails in some spots and also as I have moved the cross member back, it needs to be shaped better around it.

Scott, I'm not sure exactly what the floor was to suit. I think it is a one fits all type. I've had to cut a section of the back corners as they were to suit a 65/66 I was told.
"There's 3 ways to do things. The right way, the wrong way, and the Max Power way."

"Isn't that the wrong way?"

"Yeah, but faster!"
nassi
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by nassi »

scott66stang wrote:I think you have a floor pan for a convertible as they have the extra inner sill rail the pan sits under. The coupe and fastback ones are bent up 90 deg to weld to the inner sill panel.

Or that one is made to butt up to 20 mm or so of the old floor pan left on.

Love the work your doing BTW :like:
The convertible floor pan will be at least 50mm narrower on each side.
MaxPower
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by MaxPower »

scott66stang wrote: Love the work your doing BTW :like:
Missed that bit. Cheers! ;)

nassi wrote: The convertible floor pan will be at least 50mm narrower on each side.
Definitely not a convertible pan then.
"There's 3 ways to do things. The right way, the wrong way, and the Max Power way."

"Yeah, but faster!"
MaxPower
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by MaxPower »

My new clutch is built and was delivered to my shop this arvo for which I was sent a couple of pics. The friction plate is on its way to me so will hopefully have it in a few days.

"Yeah, but faster!"
MaxPower
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by MaxPower »

Clutch plate arrived this morning.

I got the block and rotating assembly crated up to send off today to the machine shop.

"Yeah, but faster!"
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by boofhead »

Neat crate work.
I will someday think of something clever to say.
Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Shaunp »

Jim Berry Clutch hey. Also I know Woody does some type of oiling mod to these blocks not sure what he does, I know he blocks some stuff and reroutes oil some how, and oil to the rockers some other way.
MaxPower
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by MaxPower »

Yep, Jim was great to deal with. I've seen his name pop up here and around a few times so gave him a call. He even dropped off the pressure plate and flywheel for me to where the engine is about to be sent to up your way. Jack Bros are doing the block and X-static are doing the balancing.
Jim got this done pretty much on the spot too as he is moving shop, I think he closes down in a week or two for a month to do so. He was getting as much done as possible beforehand.

There are a few oil tricks for these blocks. I think they put a Holley jet in the heads to reduce the flow to them as they hold too much oil up top standard. I need to dig out the books and refresh the memory.

"Yeah, but faster!"
Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Shaunp »

Peter Tighe (Ivan Tighe"s of Tighe Cams son)helps him out. Good luck with Jack Bros, I havent dealt with them since the 80"s. Been around for years so they must do something right. X-static are very good.
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

MaxPower wrote: I think they put a Holley jet in the heads to reduce the flow to them as they hold too much oil up top standard. I need to dig out the books and refresh the memory.
That can be an issue on many ford applications. They restrict the flow up top in Clevo race engines too, but it's generally only an issue when you're doing high RPM for long periods.
MaxPower
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by MaxPower »

Shaunp wrote:Good luck with Jack Bros, I havent dealt with them since the 80"s. Been around for years so they must do something right. X-static are very good.
I have a friend at Performance Wholesale who has organised it all for me. I'm sending the crate up to him and he's helping me out. I don't know much about either shop but I have definitely seen X-static's name pop up a bit.

On Saturday it was 4 years since I got to drive it for the first time and when I purchased the car. It's taken a lot to get to this point.

hybrid wrote: That can be an issue on many ford applications. They restrict the flow up top in Clevo race engines too, but it's generally only an issue when you're doing high RPM for long periods.
I remember reading the service bulletin from back in the day, have a copy of it somewhere, that Ford's remedy to the FE keeping too much oil in the top end and starving in the bottom was to add an extra quart of oil and fit a different dipstick with a higher fill marking.

"Yeah, but faster!"
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

:lol:

Quality fix.
Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Shaunp »

hybrid wrote::lol:

Quality fix.
Just like Nissan tried on 3L diesel GU Patrols, but they were trying to stop no 1 piston melting, before the warranty ran out, so the owners had to pay for the new engine, post warrenty , worked on some.
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

MaxPower wrote:
I remember reading the service bulletin from back in the day, have a copy of it somewhere, that Ford's remedy to the FE keeping too much oil in the top end and starving in the bottom was to add an extra quart of oil and fit a different dipstick with a higher fill marking.
Q has that mod (was a CJ mod) ...... ;)

It is a service update. I have it here somewhere. It called for the same dipstick with a center punched mark at the appropriate level.
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet
Pinto-Pete
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Pinto-Pete »

ozbilt wrote:
MaxPower wrote:
Q has that mod (was a CJ mod) ...... ;)

It is a service update. I have it here somewhere. It called for the same dipstick with a center punched mark at the appropriate level.
Works for me...
I'm Batman...

Crane Operator
Mammoet Australia
Rye Park Wind Farm