Husky's 65 Restomod

Create your project threads here if you prefer to keep them out of the regular forums

Moderator: Moderators

Husky65
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Re: Husky's 65 Restomod

Post by Husky65 »

Hey Trav can you explain to me a bit more about what the weak point would be.
Attached below is a picture of the stock VE stub. As you can see the caliper only bolts to two holes, which is part of the stub axle.

Now, in this setup, I have essentially attached the caliper to only two holes of the stub, if you were to count the bracket as part of the caliper(once torqued to the caliper with the correct bolts). If the bolts were the right grade, torqued correctly, and the stub axle was strong enough, where is the weak point? Is it the stub axles design?
From a leverage point of view, it will sit just as far out from the stub as the VE Redline setup.

Thanks mate

Last edited by Husky65 on Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
trav68
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by trav68 »

They have obviously done what i was alluding too.. just going size for size with caliper bolt (and matching qty). Only down side is by drilling out you are reducing edge clearance slightly in cast spindle.. which may or may not be significant.

For a big brake upgrade ( for a car you will track) I like thought of using all holes in spindle ( 3 disc or 4 drum), a beefy bracket out of appropriate material and decent fasteners....attached to suitable spindle ( big bearing).

Trav
Husky65
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Husky65 »

Yeah no dramas. Definitely not looking for a track type braking system, but just want to make sure this thing is fine for the street from an engineering point of view. I have had the UPC kit, for around 2 years now and have done some pretty hard driving on them, including some motorkhana days, and obviously nothing bad so far.
To be honest, and I'll be completely honest, I put the brembos on because I wanted to see if it would work. Not because of the braking capacity. The PBR's were fine for me in those regards.
trav68
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by trav68 »

It comes down to how much meat ( ie material thickness plus strength which also effects stiffness/deflection) the factorye VE point has versus your situation.

You have two points to co sider st the spindle you are using 2 attachments ( bearing in mind Ford engineers used 4 bolts) plus the interface of caliper to bracket. From photos I think that bracket would be more susceptible to deflection but probably less of a consideration given balanced pistons compared with a sliding arrangement
trav68
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by trav68 »

Having a quick think i think this is one failure mode...

If you got an axial load ( ie towards or away from vehicle centreline you could fail the ears too.
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

trav68 wrote:Having a quick think i think this is one failure mode...

If you got an axial load ( ie towards or away from vehicle centreline you could fail the ears too.
Agree and I would also use a mount bracket that uses all 4 mounting points as Trav is suggesting.
Last edited by ozbilt on Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet
Husky65
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Husky65 »

So I think the reason they only use 2 holes is because of the depth of the caliper mount means they had to mount it to the rear of the stub. If it was forward, the caliper would hit the wheel spokes. Being rear means they can't use all 4 holes. Looking at the Baer kits for eg, they are all radial mount, allowing them to use the front face of the stub and use a bracket using all 4 holes.
I guess the thing is, if I go back to the pbr's, I still have the same issue inherently. I would need a complete new kit. I know of a few of the UPC mustang kits that have been engineered. So I guess the question is what do I do?
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

Husky65 wrote:So I think the reason they only use 2 holes is because of the depth of the caliper mount means they had to mount it to the rear of the stub. If it was forward, the caliper would hit the wheel spokes. Being rear means they can't use all 4 holes. Looking at the Baer kits for eg, they are all radial mount, allowing them to use the front face of the stub and use a bracket using all 4 holes.
I guess the thing is, if I go back to the pbr's, I still have the same issue inherently. I would need a complete new kit. I know of a few of the UPC mustang kits that have been engineered. So I guess the question is what do I do?
Not sure what you are trying to say here. IMO having a leading caliper gives you much more room as a trailing caliper is restricted by the steering arm.
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet
Husky65
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Husky65 »

Sorry I was talking about why the UPC brackets mount on the inboard side of the stub axle. Because it mounts inboard, you can only use 2 holes for the bracket, whether that is the leading or trailing holes, because the rest of the stub upright gets in the way. Because the VE calipers have their mount at the very 'inboard' of the caliper, the easiest way to do it is obviously the way they went.
I think it could be re-done better with a 4 hole bracket, but sounds expensive
Last edited by Husky65 on Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.
trav68
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by trav68 »

You could use a horse shoe (C shape) bracket to pick up atleast 3 (or possibly all 4) drum back plate bolts with fairly stout bracket with some decent thickness - cant remember exactly what back of spindle looks like and were you have/don't have clearance.

At work but quick sketch.
Husky65
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Husky65 »

Hey mate. Definitely can't do it from the back. You have all the uprights and chunks of steel in the middle. I'll show you a pic.
However I'm going to see if I can make a template to have the bracket on the front of the spindle and mount the caliper behind it
Husky65
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Husky65 »

Anyone know of a mob in sydney that could cnc a bracket if I came up with a template in a quick turn around?
Husky65
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Husky65 »

Ok so I came up with a template. I have an a4 sheet with a 100% good to go scale of what I think will work. I used the paper and dirty hands trick to get it right, as I tried to do via measurements and kept getting it wrong.

Can a machinist work with this?

Husky65
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Husky65 »

Also, I can only fit an 8mm plate or the bolt hex head will hit the back of the hub. Is this fine? Too much? 6mm or 7mm would give me more clearance, but is that enough? I have seen a few 1/4 adaptor plates but not sure if that's a no no
Last edited by Husky65 on Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Husky65
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Husky65 »

Scratch all that I just realised it won't work. Plan from here is to mill the brackets down to offset the caliper for the 355mm ford rotor. Once that's all done I will assess and look at other options down the track.