project mustang question

Create your project threads here if you prefer to keep them out of the regular forums

Moderator: Moderators

tceddia
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

project mustang question

Post by tceddia »

hey all

im a new member and im looking to buy a 1965-66 mustang project car in the coming few months and was hoping for some opinions to where to look. is importing from the US safe? worth while?

im basically looking for a shell. i want to be able to fix it up over a couple of years. i dont have a huge budget, but i want to be able to get my foot in the door buying a mustang, then fix it over time

any info would be great

thanks in advance

Tristan
soc123_au
Mustang King
Mustang King

Re: project mustang question

Post by soc123_au »

Hi Tristan, by not a huge budget give us a figure. Buying out of the US is an option but has plenty of pitfalls. The best advise I can give is don't buy a rustbucket. Have a good browse around the forum & you will find plenty of great info. I would go into more detail but I am on my phone & not a pc. Posting from a phone is a pain. I am sure you will get many more replies soon though.
Foresight
Zebras for hire
Zebras for hire

Post by Foresight »

Hi Tristan and welcome

First up what body style are you chasing and what is your budget so we can figure out if you are on the right track. It is safe bringing cars in from the US but you should get someone that you can trust to check over the car.
Cheers,
Lee & Q
69 428 mach 1 - Guess who...it's Q!
69Boss
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by 69Boss »

Where is Kosa? His fastback maybe?
A word of advise....Never get into a sword fight with Steve.....He has some slick moves!!!
Sorry that should read SICK moves!!!
GT350H
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by GT350H »

Agree, dont buy a rust bucket. Take your time.
I reckon that $10,000 for a decent Coupe and $15,000 for a fastback.
Both will need plenty of work, but at that price, they should have "minimal" rust.
tceddia
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by tceddia »

thanks for the replies.

i was hoping to spend around 6 grand for a mustang coupe project. i was looking around the net and came across some for around 9 10 or 11 thousand, but all had work done to it. i dont have a problem replacing panels, engine, transmission and interior, and doing a paint job. so a shell would be better for me i think....i think haha

just want it to become my everyday car in the next couple of years
66 c-code mustang coupe
289ci engine
IGALOP
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by IGALOP »

This all has a familiar ring to it! Deja Vu perhaps.
Selling the Mustang story to all those who will listen!
There are many listening in Gippsland.
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

6 grand landed is a big ask mate.

Mine needed a LOT of work as you can see by my project thread. I got the car cheap in the US, but by the time you get it shipped and through customs, 6 grand doesn't leave much money for purchase.

Although a shell with no engine etc is definitely possible.

BTW Steve, depending on the phone you have, Tapatalk will make using the forum much easier from a phone.
cage
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by cage »

For 6k you can forget about the US as the transport and fees will take care of most of that. Look for one in AUS and for that amount a shell is pretty much your only option. Good luck, you will need it.
"The simple answer is, even if I have decided I still don't know what to do."
MustangMedic
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by MustangMedic »

Nuts has a project shell for sale......
Cheers.
Medic
(Always work smarter not harder!!!)
67 C Code coupe
tceddia
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by tceddia »

well looks like ill have to put my dream on hold then hahahah

gee i thought 6 grand for a empty shell was gonna be easy. was gonna spend up to 15 grand fixing the thing up over 2 years. maybe ill go a different way and just save till i can buy one that is in ok shape

was looking on ebay motors america and some 66 coupe shells were selling for 2 or 3 grand. the import fees getting it from US to here must be ridiculous then

thanks everyone for your input, appreciate it heaps :)
66 c-code mustang coupe
289ci engine
GT350H
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by GT350H »

tceddia wrote:well looks like ill have to put my dream on hold then hahahah

gee i thought 6 grand for a empty shell was gonna be easy. was gonna spend up to 15 grand fixing the thing up over 2 years. maybe ill go a different way and just save till i can buy one that is in ok shape

was looking on ebay motors america and some 66 coupe shells were selling for 2 or 3 grand. the import fees getting it from US to here must be ridiculous then

thanks everyone for your input, appreciate it heaps :)
Yep
soc123_au
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by soc123_au »

The transport costs etc are the same weather its a shell or a complete car. A shell can even run a bit higher as its harder to move around. Dont give up looking though as you never know what may come up, I would be looking localy though for what you are after.

In an earlier post you said you dont mind replacing panels, panels are easy enough. A rusty shell though is a money pit. Check out my photobucket link in my sig & you will see some examples.
donoauto
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by donoauto »

I'm wrong , but I use the rule of anything from $5k-$8k to land a car in the country once everyone has their slice of the pie. Send a message to "Shermatt" or "Ken123" as they are trusted importers & discuss prices with them.
(PRAYER) Oh thank you Wild Turkey American Honey & Cola in those small thin bottles, for giving me the strength to act like a half wit, and say stupid things at inappropriate times, semi-anonymously, on a public forum.
Amen.
jusTANG
PatCH the Platypus
PatCH the Platypus

Post by jusTANG »

a few weeks to late.....that 66 coupe that was going a while back would have been a great one for you. so as the boys say dont give up hope keep a eye out as they do come up.
in the mean time save up and you may get something a bit better that just needs a tidy up.
jmho.......
Cheers,
j