Non-Mustang related Projects

Moderator: Moderators

shermatt
The Fatkid
The Fatkid

Saving Mercanstein

Post by shermatt »

Saving Mercanstein

SEMA, Las Vegas. If you have never been to the event, it would be safe to say that you just haven’t lived life to its full extent when it comes to the automotive industry and its events that it has to offer around the world. SEMA blasts them down your throat

From the newly released production supercars from the big dogs to the latest gadgets available on the market from all over the world. They have it all and to see it in one day would be a miracle.

It’s a floor to ceiling fashion house of seductive man toys. Ladies, high heels are not compulsory on this event if your accompanying your man friend, trust me its long haul. If its not your thing, find a shopping mall and hook up at the end of the day, say 9pm on the first day

Every year that I have attended, there has always been one car that just stands out from the crowd. Last year was the 69 Camaro that just won hands down in my books but this year (2010) I saw god for the first time!!

In front of me stood the most amazing 61 190sl roadster I am ever likely to see. Built on a 2008 SL600 V12 chassis this little piece of oldschool had taken on a whole new life and just roared awesomeness.

Built by Hot rods and Custom Stuff in LA, the car took 18 months to build using a near new 2004 SL as the donor and 2 separate 61 roadsters to wrap around the bare German super beast chassis to finally bring to life what some people know of in the Mercedes world as “The Mercedes BENT”

After speaking to the builder personally for quite some time, he informed me that the total build price or sale price was close to $600,000USD and the car was already pre-sold. As soon as I picked up my jaw, I soon realized that when you’re talking Mercedes, you’re talking dollar signs.

The early 190sl roadsters fetch high dollars climbing from $35,000 for a project all the way to $145,000 fully restored.
He informed me that car had to be lengthened across 7 points and widened 6 inches at the front and 7 at the rear to accommodate the late model chassis with the V12 6.0L twin turbo engine boasting 750ftlbs of torque

That part of the story sounds good already. The front custom grille was machined from one piece billet aluminum at a small cost of $5000USD. Considering that a standard 190sl grille reproduction will run you around $3,000USD, that isn’t to bad.

The custom 20 inch wheels were machined to resemble the yesterday era and also came at a hefty little price but at $5000USD for a set of boots to finish off this machine, and why wouldn’t you.
The little merc isn’t just a show toy. This car hits the track and does it extremely well. Boasting 600Bhp in such a little roadster you can imagine the feeling would be quite stimulating.

I have always loved the Merc’s especially these old roadsters. There very rare, very hard to find, very expensive to restore and extremely expensive to buy restored. If your lucky enough to find a 55 190sl which was the first year they were built with very limited numbers, you would be one of a limited elite number of people in the world that own one. Only 1,727 built and 830 shipped to the USA, there up there with the Shelby’s with production numbers

A good friend of mine who is also a fellow exporter out of Texas calls me some months after SEMA to inform me that he may have something that would be of interest to me knowing my love for the oldschool merc roadsters

He says that he found an old 190sl in parts in an old guys garage but he wasn’t sure what year it was but the original numbers matching engine was fully rebuilt and it came with a lot of new spare parts. It was missing a few things and the he had lost all the data and Vin number tags and could not find the title. He says that if you inspect the odd car down in Florida for me, that he will pick this car up and deliver it to us down here in Florida and all I had to do was pay for fuel.

Im not quite sure how much this is going to hurt at this stage and I cant disclose what happened from this point on but it didn’t hurt at all. I am pleased to say that Sheri is now among one of these elite few that own one and it just so happens to be a 55 190SL roadster. Build number 666.

Mercanstein is alive!!

After some grueling 12 minutes on the internet, I had located a full set of blank data and Vin Tags, 9 in total, and at a cost of a can of coke and 2 big Macs (in the grand scheme of things), had a title on its way along with a build sheet.

We have looked at so many options with what we plan to do with the resto and at one stage it was going to be that candy apple red that she likes so much with tan leather interior but after seeing this photo, we have gone with silver with red interior.

As for engines, I have the original one that came with the car and has already been rebuilt but Im not in any hurry to sell it. I have 3 options at the moment. 289 windsor with all ford driveline, a 1996 black lid SR20 turbo with a 5 speed or a 1993 SC400 Lexus V8 with Auto trans.

Its currently needing some floor pans that I have chased down so I will try and keep this thread updated and see how Mercanstein unfolds

The possibility of RHD conversion is also on the cards but Im still on the fence with that one
MustangMedic
Mustang King
Mustang King

Re: Saving Mercanstein

Post by MustangMedic »

Cool project Matt, keep it all coming.
Cheers.
Medic
(Always work smarter not harder!!!)
67 C Code coupe
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

Nice one Matt...that will be one good looking car!
Nuts
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Nuts »

Hey Matt, I thought you said no more projects! Allways had a soft spot for the early SL's, this one should be nice :dance: B
blkpny
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by blkpny »

Wow! I've never seen anything like it!
Originality doesn't count for much? Wouldn't it be worth repainting it the original colours? Or a modern take on the original colours?
Driveline, what about a 80's or 90's Mercedes V8?

Were they converted for the US market to LHD? or were they built that way? I'd leave it whichever way it was meant to be.
Resto-Mod & Repro Mustang Parts, from the biggest & best suppliers in the Biz. For a sample of what we have, check out www.custommustangs.com.au if you don't see it there, give us a call 03 9782 8850 0438351400
Or stop into our Showroom 2/14 Lakewood Blvd, Carrum Downs
Mustangs are Addictive!
66 Coupe 418w C4 3.50 9" Convo's 10.9@122 FOR SALE
94 SN95 Coupe Supercharged V6 Daily
65 Coupe Project
bages
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by bages »

All I can say is :bowdown: :drool: :headbang: :dance2: :fap: :woohoo: :thumbs: :joy:
scott66stang
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by scott66stang »

Ozbilting Awesome!!!!!! I love it...You have some really cool rides Matt.
Dynamic
Living the Mustang Dream
Living the Mustang Dream

Post by Dynamic »

:bowdown: amazing what you have there no doubt will captivate a larger audience I would love to see step by step updates of this good luck :cheers:
Pete
Mustang Project:
http://dynamicstang.blogspot.com
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

I have been building one for years in CA. Now belongs to the family of my friend that passed away last year. It is a 58, I believe (could be a 57) & I had built a complete chassis for it that has C4 Corvette front & rear suspension. It is getting a 351W engine & 5 speed gearbox that is fitted with doweled engine plates (installed from underneath). Under slung pedals, twin brake masters & bias knob. 300 SL seats & big window removable hardtop.

Car now has a 92" wheel base & is 5" wider than a stock one. Bumpers very similar to the one pictured at SEMA.

Car is coming to Duggo (at this stage) to be completed then sent back to CA.
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet
shermatt
The Fatkid
The Fatkid

Post by shermatt »

Kerry

I would LOVE to see pics

Matt
shermatt
The Fatkid
The Fatkid

Post by shermatt »

Went to our friends house last night (thats doing the interior for the Merc) for the super bowl and she had allready made up one of the backs for seats.

The colour doesnt really show in the light but it will in a daytime photo. Couldnt believe how nice the leather was (SUPER SOFT)

Should look good once its in the car

Matt
shermatt
The Fatkid
The Fatkid

Post by shermatt »

Kerry

post up some pics!!!
shermatt
The Fatkid
The Fatkid

Post by shermatt »

A bit of an update

A week after I posted this a 1994 LS400 fell into my lap. Car wasnt running and the guy said I could have it.

Car looks like this model but its not the actuall car

He said that he had replaced the crank angle sensors and the timing belt and it still ran like shi7.

We got it back to the work shop and quickly started to diagnose the problem.

Timing belt has been done properly. So we moved onto getting the codes manually from the ECU. Was very difficult as the engine wasnt actually running.

Got afew codes but nothing that made any sence.

So we went straight to the heart of the problem. We ripped out the ECU and pulled it apart. Looked like it had a tad of burn along the board so we went onto ebay to find another. ONLY one in the entire USA. Car came from California and the ECU's for cali are all anti smog (thats ok...I will sort that later)

ECU went in on Wednesday and the car is now running but NOT responsive to throttle so the next thing is the airflow meter

I also have a spare nock sensor for the engine so I will swap that over also and start eliminating all the normal faults for this V8.

We took the exhaust off on Friday but havent got the 2 cat converters off the back of the exhaust manifolds yet as it could possibly be the cats are melted and causing restriction of the exhaust.

When your listening to it running/barely idleing, it sounds like that could be the case. I have allready checked for air leaks after the AFM and there were a few but even fixed it still ran like a pig but its running as if it has a vacuum leak.

While running, I disconnected the AFM and it didnt really change much in revs

Monday, Im going to take out the cats, if it no run, swap out the nock sensor, no run, chase an AFM, no run, crank angle sensor.

But before I do that, Im going to ring a mate who has a diagnostic computer that can plug into the car and read the codes and chase the problem

Today is Sunday and Im supposed to be heading out on the bike with a few lads but if I want to get any of these projects finished, I need to go down there today.

Taking the car outside and blasting the entire under chassis so I can start on that.

We are more that likely doing a 5 link rear in the ar5e end and a heidts front end and were going RHD

Im going to build this car for daughter (Maddy) and send it to Australia

Im flying Shawn in from cali, a good friend who has done many of these types of conversions and was part of overhauling with Chip Foose.

You know...this guy

Im sure its pretty easy but if you have someone that can do it with their eyes closed it sort of takes a few days out of the build.

I will take some photos today and keep the thread updated as best as I can

Matt
jusTANG
PatCH the Platypus
PatCH the Platypus

Post by jusTANG »

Matt, you may need to remember the import changes for a modified car
Cheers,
j
donoauto
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by donoauto »

Maybe ok if he's a us resident??????????? personal car??????????
(PRAYER) Oh thank you Wild Turkey American Honey & Cola in those small thin bottles, for giving me the strength to act like a half wit, and say stupid things at inappropriate times, semi-anonymously, on a public forum.
Amen.