Green Machine. The return of the "Madden"

Create your project threads here if you prefer to keep them out of the regular forums

Moderator: Moderators

shermatt
The Fatkid
The Fatkid

Green Machine. The return of the "Madden"

Post by shermatt »

This story takes place in a dark lit building in Florida where a 68 S code laid on its side suspended to a rotisserie for over 15-20 years

As some of you may know, I had a 1968 S code convertible sitting down at Sunstate mustangs workshop that I had intended on finishing off where the previous owner left it.

The car was bought out of Ft Lauderdale (restored) and driven across Florida to Sherm’s workshop where it was decided that it could have been restored a lot better. Next thing you know, it’s a bare shell and slung up on the spinner

After the owner had given up on the exercise, it sat there until now. I knew of the car and checked it out every time I attended the building but never pulled the trigger until about 4 years ago. It then sat there for another 2 years until it was pried from my hands from a fella from Melbourne. AKA Chopper

A very convincing young lad he was and the force was strong in him but was also a very realistic jedi ninja on what I wanted to see done with the car. At the time I was helping build another car on a budget and told him that I wasn’t prepared to see it built the same way and told him that if you want me to restore it, that it would have to be done my way and in my time (1 year) and the main thing that sealed the deal was to be patient. Delivery time landed in Oz was estimated of September 2010

A price was laid out itemizing what he would be getting and what he wouldn’t along with a $6000 balloon that “could” be tapped into as we all know there’s always something not taken into account. I allowed $3000 of my time that I knew in advance wouldn’t cover the hours involved but at the time, I didn’t mind as it was still my car and I wanted it built a certain way.

With the work schedule I had, the old girl laid up for another 2 months until one day, I finally had a window of opportunity where we could get cracking on it. The car was moved from the dark abyss of Shermans workshop over to Oldsmar Florida (Oldsmar is named after Oldsmobile as it was the testing grounds for R.E. Olds and his cars)

The car was carefully loaded onto another rotisserie where it was decided to get it blasted in house and remove the entire floor pan and replace with new. A cost not expected but very well necessary.

The previous restoration mob had done a job that this car would never twist or buckle. That was the problem. Every seem to every panel that should have been spot welded had been welded with almost 1cm of what I call “spaghetti weld”. It was everywhere. One it looked horrible but two….It just looked horrible. It made the 1st day on the job very daunting as it wasn’t expected (like all projects) My $3000 quoted for labour was slowly being hacked into. Went through $100 of grinding wheels to attempt to clean it all up and 3 days of doiking around

Then it was back to me where it sat for another few weeks while I tried to find the time to get cracking on it. That just never happened. I had to finish off the Fatkids 500 and get it out of the way. Secondly, I wanted to get it ready for the Turkey Rod run up in Daytona. By the way, a 427 wins hands down over a 428. What a machine that thing was. Once finished, I only owned it for 2 days. Sold to a lawyer in Orlando.

With the new floor pan all done and all the spaghetti weld taken out of it, we now had a car with good bones to work with. There are still a few spots that I wish we could of rectified but they were of no real major concern. Whoever built the car, had used angle iron under the seam to the torque box rail and bent it into shape. That was cut out and linished back but still retains a 4mm space of redundant steel.

The exterior of the car was in fantastic shape and just needed to be re-assembled and get all the panels re- aligned so we could test fit all the panels before it went to paint. Something I had planned to do myself but good ol Chopper threw a spanner into the works and said the Fatkids most hated word…”metallic”. He had decided to that it should be painted to what the Marti report said along with the door tag. Lime green…blahhh!!!

More to follow

Matt
shermatt
The Fatkid
The Fatkid

Re: Green Machine. The return of the "Madden"

Post by shermatt »

Part 2

We finally found some time to get the car all refitted and all the panels aligned ready for paint.

Now it was time to prep the under chassis and clean up the 9 inch and give it a quick service while it was out.

The entire boot are had seem sealer that was as thick as, so we decided to strip the entire area and clean it up so once painted, it looked as it does on the outside. What a task that was but well worth it. (2 days of prep)

69Boss
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by 69Boss »

Hey Matt, Great story - Cool photos - Keep em coming :thumbs:

Barry
goldscode
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by goldscode »

68 S-Code Ragtop hey, bloody hell youd have to be happy with that!! l wouldnt give a shit what colour it was, l can only imagine what lt would be like cruisin that jigger around the coast top down listening to the 390 singing away out the back, cant wait to see this one finished!! your a Legend Matty !!!!
cheers Ralph
Chopper
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by Chopper »

A few more bits of info about this car,

http://mustang.org.au/forum/viewthread.php?tid=10298

When i saw the most recent pics of this project i have to say the gun nearly went of in its holster. :fap:

Chopper

Last edited by Chopper on Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
I don't want to discourage you from cooking so i will just buy new pots
ChilliChadd
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by ChilliChadd »

yes more pics Matty :thumbs:
Chadd

_______________COUPDUP_______________
goldscode
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by goldscode »

Love the Avatar Chop Chop ld feel the same way, Lime Gold on a Vert looks friggen awsome, only thing ld change would be the stock steering wheel, Burger with the lot , gotta be happy !!!!

cheers Ralph
shermatt
The Fatkid
The Fatkid

Post by shermatt »

Loven the avatar also

Found you a pressie today McMadden (you evil Sith lord)

Matt
Pinto-Pete
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Pinto-Pete »

u need to leave the honda logo alone Choppa...startin to worry now.....
I'm Batman...

Crane Operator
Mammoet Australia
Rye Park Wind Farm
thirsty390
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by thirsty390 »

That will be a mega cruiser when done.
Keep the pics coming!!!

Nice work
goldscode
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by goldscode »

Shit Chopper you know some people in high places how did you get Mathew Mconaghay to work on your car????
donoauto
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by donoauto »

:rotfl: :rotfl:
(PRAYER) Oh thank you Wild Turkey American Honey & Cola in those small thin bottles, for giving me the strength to act like a half wit, and say stupid things at inappropriate times, semi-anonymously, on a public forum.
Amen.
Chopper
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by Chopper »

goldscode wrote:Shit Chopper you know some people in high places how did you get Mathew Mconaghay to work on your car????
I have photos
I don't want to discourage you from cooking so i will just buy new pots
mwizz
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by mwizz »

Starting to look good, great work
shermatt
The Fatkid
The Fatkid

Post by shermatt »

The seem sealer was so thick in the boot, we hit it with a wire wheel and a grinder. Wasnt even going to attempt to blast it as it was that thick. Would of been a pointless exercise. We grinded it all out and then re-sealed all the seems. Heres a few of what I have

We found a few humidity blisters on some of the panels along the way so we decided to strip it back to steel. Didnt want to waste our time painting over a problem that would definately come back. Back to steel we go!!

Heres a few pics of the body work after stripping some of the panels one by one.

All the panels are slowly lining up and test fitted every panel. Starting to come together now

This is as far as we got untill the fatkid had to get back to other things. I knew I was not going to have time to finish the rest for some months so I contacted a fella to finish the body work and shoot the car for me. (that came out of my pocket)

Off to paint we go