Should I convert to RHD

Technical Discussion on Pre-1973 Mustangs

Moderator: Moderators

Shayne93
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Should I convert to RHD

Post by Shayne93 »

I'm contemplating whether to convert my 66 to Right Hand Drive.
I'm in queensland, so it can be regoed LHD, but ive just seen a few RHD and seem pretty good.

What is the general oppinion here.

My donor car is a 93 NC Fairlane EFI V8 Auto, I plan on using a Mustang II power steered front end. If I was to go RHD, I would need to get an RHD rack or get the LHD one converted, and I couldnt use the Fairlane one as Mustang II uses steering rods forward of the wheel.

What does everyone think???
mustangpanels
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

Re: Should I convert to RHD

Post by mustangpanels »

Hi,

If you contact Ozbilt he will explain the pro and cons of conversions.

I have seen a RHD rack and pinion conversion done by Booskraft and Ozbilt and its great.

Cheers
Mustang owner and supplier of Mustang body panels.
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

Your call, but in my world I would leave it LHD as I do not care who does the conversion, it will never be as good as the factory. Plenty can get them close (inc me) but having the ability to buy parts & have them fit (as in LHD) is worth so much time & effort (read frustration).
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet
muzz67
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by muzz67 »

Kerry is right, and LHD is SOO much fun ! The added bonus is the car is saleable World wide.

Even though I have driven many LHD's overseas I was still going to convert mine, that is till son of Ozbilt got me to drive his LHD BOSS.

Game over LHD Rules.
Muzz67
Experience is a great school, but the fees come high!
blkpny
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by blkpny »

TCP do a RHD rack kit for these, Manual or Power Steer. It will work with the original style suspension, and they also do a coil over kit.
Ron Morris do Engine mounts to make the NC motor fit, with everything on it. See Frank70 about these. We do the TCP products.

I didn't do it myself, finding it no problem driving LHD, and definately not able to justify the hefty expense.
Resto-Mod & Repro Mustang Parts, from the biggest & best suppliers in the Biz. For a sample of what we have, check out www.custommustangs.com.au if you don't see it there, give us a call 03 9782 8850 0438351400
Or stop into our Showroom 2/14 Lakewood Blvd, Carrum Downs
Mustangs are Addictive!
66 Coupe 418w C4 3.50 9" Convo's 10.9@122 FOR SALE
94 SN95 Coupe Supercharged V6 Daily
65 Coupe Project
Dynamic
Living the Mustang Dream
Living the Mustang Dream

Post by Dynamic »

you just want to go through drivethroughs on your own with no hastles? :rotfl:
Pete
Mustang Project:
http://dynamicstang.blogspot.com
tim_morrison82
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by tim_morrison82 »

i vote LHD. its original, so it works.

original is definately more sort after when looking for cars.

i don't believe i can justify spending the amount of extra money required to convert to RHD, as far as car value goes. they don't sell for any more, or any less that a LHD car, yet you are still covering the $6-8k to get it done...
Dreaming the dream... Living the reality...
moe
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by moe »

I've had both; LHD gets my vote as parts are easier to get as they fit as the manufacturer intended. Steering is easier to sort out LHD. Also, less dramas in selling the vehicle to an interstate party.

Besides, the kids like going through macca's drive through LHD, so they get to do the ordering.
rockerfella
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by rockerfella »

However, if you're like me and have no kids and no friends, then RHD is the way to go for maccas drive through ease.

Kidding aside though I bought my car RHD and have so far had little problem with it, though aesthetically it's not perfect (doesn't line up too well with the dash). I think it depends a lot on how much you plan on driving it really. If it's gonna be a daily car it may be worth the expense. however if it's only gonna be for cruising on the weekend, and you have no trouble driving LHD, you may as well save yourself the 5 odd grand and keep it as is. It does look cooler also.

That said, my vote still goes to RHD if you can do it well.
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

Shayne93 wrote: I plan on using a Mustang II power steered front end.

If I was to go RHD, I would need to get an RHD rack or get the LHD one converted, and I couldnt use the Fairlane one as Mustang II uses steering rods forward of the wheel.
If you went with the Mustang II front end you would need to keep the rack in front of the wheels (front steer). Chase up a LHD rear steer rack (same dimensions) & when you place it in front of the wheels it becomes a RH rack.

FYI, front steer rack & pinion steering turns a tighter circle than rear steer (in general).

However I would be reluctant to convert a car any more.
Kerry

Shayne93
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Shayne93 »

I think I'll stay lefty, however the conversion that I am really keen on is the Mustang II front end with power steering
1966 Ford Mustang Coupe... [Build in progress]
ChilliChadd
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by ChilliChadd »

I'd stay lefty, not hard to drive infact I find it easier then righty, but I don't drive a righty that often anymore
Chadd

_______________COUPDUP_______________
stu67
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by stu67 »

All about what you want to drive. I plan on having my car for many years to come so a conversion to RHD is my preference.

I have driven a LHD on country roads and it is rather hair raising trying ot overtake someone when you dont have a passenger to spot, getting half the car out into oncoming traffic is something you have to try sometime.

All that being said, if i was building my car on my own then i dont think i would have attempted to convert it to RHD myself, i would have left it to a professional. The costs are ourageous. With my fathers help however we have managed to get it done rediculously cheap, looking at well under a 10th of the costs of a professional and it looks pretty schmiko.
eri67
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by eri67 »

Shayne93 wrote:I think I'll stay lefty, however the conversion that I am really keen on is the Mustang II front end with power steering

I think a well set up original style frontend with power steer would be more prudent, they where not designed for a front end such as the mustang II, I realize that it is a common conversion in the states, but, have you noticed some of the poor engineering that seems to be acceptable over there :outtahere:
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

eri67 wrote:
Shayne93 wrote:I think I'll stay lefty, however the conversion that I am really keen on is the Mustang II front end with power steering

I think a well set up original style frontend with power steer would be more prudent, they where not designed for a front end such as the mustang II, I realize that it is a common conversion in the states, but, have you noticed some of the poor engineering that seems to be acceptable over there :outtahere:
I agree with what you say about a well set up front end. However I have seen a Mustang II front end in a local car (jbb) & it would pass engineering here no worries. Not that I am a fan of them.

This is a car from the internet, not jbb's but his is done very similar.

Kerry