Oil filter

Need help on paint, paint prep, welding, engines etc?

Moderator: Moderators

65muzzy
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Oil filter

Post by 65muzzy »

Hi guys, a question for all the teckos out there. How long is the shelf life of an oil filter, mainly one that has been used then taken off the engine drained and left on the shelf. Does the filter start to brake down once used? Before people start to question WHY you would do that to a $7 filter, the filter in question costs is a lot more. Thanks in advance.
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Oil filter

Post by ozbilt »

If it is a "correct" filter, just use it for the shows. Get a new one if it has been on there for over 3000 miles.

What I am saying is have one just to go to the show & back, then remove & use a generic for normal/pleasure driving duties.

I keep one on the shelf for just such occasions.
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet
Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Shaunp »

As long as the seal is ok and it was sealed up so dirt can't get in it should be fine but I'd just buy a new one. Some those repro Rotunda type filters are just a cover on a cheap filter you can get them off I've read and slide them on the next unit.
65muzzy
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by 65muzzy »

[quote="ozbilt"]If it is a "correct" filter, just use it for the shows. Get a new one if it has been on there for over 3000 miles.

What I am saying is have one just to go to the show & back, then remove & use a generic for normal/pleasure driving duties.

Thats what I thought. I have kept the filter full with fresh oil in a sealed container, but didn't know if they start to break down. The filter in question has not done 3000 miles but is a couple years old.
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

It would be fine
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet