64 and a half

Create your project threads here if you prefer to keep them out of the regular forums

Moderator: Moderators

Hawko
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

64 and a half

Post by Hawko »

I thought I would finally put my project up here as I enjoy reading and watching everybody else's builds.
I started out wanting something that was fairly straight and clean and came across a 64 1/2 coupe that had already been painted only 20 minutes away from where I live so I rang a mate who is a panelbeater to come and have a look with me at it. The paint job was not the best so will be resprayed but the body was clean which was my main aim. So here is a pic of it in the garage as purchased.

[Image

It is in remission as all cancer has been removed. It has new doors,rear quaters and a new front guard as well as the floors. I was lucky enough to get some pics of the work done.

I'm not trying to build a show pony but just a nice clean car with a few minor mods.
I'm sure this will probably be more of a question thread.
Cheers
Foresight
Zebras for hire
Zebras for hire

Re: 64 and a half

Post by Foresight »

looking forward to it :thumbs:
Cheers,
Lee & Q
69 428 mach 1 - Guess who...it's Q!
ChilliChadd
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by ChilliChadd »

+1. ARe you keeping the same colour
Chadd

_______________COUPDUP_______________
bages
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by bages »

Looks good Hawko :thumbs:

What donk and trans are you gonna use? keep the pics coming I need some motivation !! :cry:
Nuts
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Nuts »

:thumbs: Cool Hawco, love these Projects. Keep us posted please.

And Bages, "Get of your backside and do stuff"!! It ain't gunna happen just looking at it! :poke:
soc123_au
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by soc123_au »

Nice project, back to original or a bit of a restomod?
bages
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by bages »

Nuts wrote::thumbs: Cool Hawco, love these Projects. Keep us posted please.

And Bages, "Get of your backside and do stuff"!! It ain't gunna happen just looking at it! :poke:
thanks but its more a case of so much stuff on, rarely getting near it and when I do get a break the last thing I want to do.....
Hawko
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Hawko »

I have the same problem as you bages. No time.
I work as well as run a small business and have 2 young kidlets so spare time is very minimal. I've had the car for over a year now and I'm only just starting to touch it.
I'm pretty sure at this stage I'm going to keep it silver.
I have bought a crate motor for it. It's a 347 roller 440hp 430lb-ft. I have also picked up a C4 stage 2 with a 2500rpm stall.
I guess you would class it as a very mild restomod. I'm installing front torque boxes, Shelby drop and camber adjustment. Inside I may add a autometer gauge set and a shifter.
bages
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by bages »

sounds like a great combo Hawko :)

I watched an old episode of Overhaulin this morning with a 65 they slapped a 347 in, sounded sweet!
Hawko
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Hawko »

My little helper and I removed all the steering and front suspension as all new components are to be installed.

Gotta love tie wire. Once I cut it the whole draglink droped out.
I've bought a disk brake conversion kit for the front end as well.
I took the control valve and drag link to work to overhaul it but once I opened it up I found the spool was seized. It needed 15 tonne to press it out and the bore was all pitted so another one was sourced and I will put the kit through it before it all goes back together.
Hawko
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Hawko »

On the weekend I took the diff out and put the car on a rotisserie so as I can clean the underneath up and weld in the torque boxes in. Unfortunately I don't have enough clearance above the car to spin it over. Hell I hardly have enough room to walk around the car. Damn I wish I had a shed. Whilst removing the rear shocks I found another little supprise. Both top shock mounts are knacked.
ImageImage
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

Really common, weld the cracks & reinforce the holes. That will keep it alive for another 50 years as it will never get the treatment it had over the last 45.
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet
Hawko
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Hawko »

Thought about that but ordered a replacement part as I had a order coming anyway. $175 and didn't really add anything to the freight.
Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Shaunp »

I'd just weld a washer over them.
Hawko
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Hawko »

Had a couple of spare hours this arvo after taking the kids to the circus so I thought I would start to clean the underneath.
Even though I didn't think I had enough clearance above to spin the car I gave it a go slooowly. Well I was wrong again. I had heaps of room I had at least 30mm. :thumbs:
The paint on the new floor sections peeled off in sheets like plastic. I guess it wasn't done correctly. The original sections were covered in a good 6mm of tar so I started to scrape that off. As you can see I still have heaps to go.
I cleaned up a section at the rear near the shock mounts to see what it would have looked like from the factory. It is a San Jose built car so I thought it was going to be red oxide.

Now I did warn that this would probably be more of a question thread, so here goes with one of the many.
What is the best thing to do with the seams where the floor panels have been welded in? Should I weld them up? or Paint and seam sealer?

Cheers