Justang's X driver

Create your project threads here if you prefer to keep them out of the regular forums

Moderator: Moderators

jusTANG
PatCH the Platypus
PatCH the Platypus

Justang's X driver

Post by jusTANG »

I bought this car as a driver but since have feel in love with her and dont want to ruin her driving her so far or parking her in a supermarket carpark all day since starting back at work after a 12 month paid brake.
maybe pull my posts from the other site also when i have some time.
14 hour days are killing me, reminds me why i needed to take 12 months off, but any way here are some pic's of the driver in a slide show

click on image

works so much nice on facebook :poke:
Cheers,
j
scott66stang
Mustang King
Mustang King

Re: Justang's X driver

Post by scott66stang »

Love the pics , looks nice and straight too. I wish i could drive my 2 around. :cry:
jusTANG
PatCH the Platypus
PatCH the Platypus

Post by jusTANG »

thanks scott, is really straight and original. bought into the country about 16 yrs ago and a little old lady had it in CA. was driven daily for 7 years then put away until i bought her. Drove it home some 500km+ and drove it ever since. No show care but neat and tidy and original. Nice investment i hope. not so much driving lately but........
Cheers,
j
donoauto
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by donoauto »

Mate , looks like a great thing! Don't play it down , that's bloody tidy to look at :)
(PRAYER) Oh thank you Wild Turkey American Honey & Cola in those small thin bottles, for giving me the strength to act like a half wit, and say stupid things at inappropriate times, semi-anonymously, on a public forum.
Amen.
nassi
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by nassi »

Lovely car with nice gaps, but dont lock it away, use it as your driver so you get the most out of it. You can always rebuild down the track, maybe it could be your retirement project. In fact I cant think of a nicer compliment for a car.
cheers
ChilliChadd
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by ChilliChadd »

Very nice justang. And as nassi said drive it. I drive mine every day and since I got it last April have done just over 27000 miles in her and enjoyed every minute.
Chadd

_______________COUPDUP_______________
moe
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by moe »

justTANG, any updates??
jusTANG
PatCH the Platypus
PatCH the Platypus

Post by jusTANG »

copy and pasted from another forum. thought i would just move everything across so apologies for useless info or posts

JusTang's Driver.........Better late then never

Thought i should post up some pic's of the old girl and tell a bit of the story along the way.......
I have been looking for a few years well about 5. Want to do a Eleanor maybe with some twist's along the way but needed a daily driver for a while while i didnt have a company car so i picked this old girl up.
Liked the late 65 66 coupes so was on the look out in the normal area's and pick this up off evilbay.
Was very happy with the pick up maybe spent a little more then i could have but she has only 1 american owner and 1 Aus owner so 3 owner very original with nothing hiding. Had rego (++++), factory Air, pony interior, daily driver paint and chrome but straight as straight can be and only one little bubble of rust that Ozbilt has since said just a little stop and we will fix when we paint her in a few years.
Well we drove her home from Bendigo and only suffered from a little over heating if driven above 60 miles so a cruize home was on the cards.
The first thing was a full detail as she had sat for the last 8 years so was full of dust and paint needed some luv.
so the pic are after that polish as i was getting a lot of request's from friend and family for pic's.

Photo's removed

theres more if anyone wants to take a look i was messing around.
Photobucket: http://s253.photobucket.com/albums/hh69 ... %2066%20co...

happy to hear thoughts on the old girl
Cheers,
j
jusTANG
PatCH the Platypus
PatCH the Platypus

Post by jusTANG »

Just some pi's of how the paint started before it got to what you see today, chrome needed some work also lol

1/2 the bonnet was polished and 1/2 still to go

Took me almost a day to polish the bonnet and one front guard, went to a car detailer and had him have a go at 1/2 the bonnet to see if he could get it any better then i could and he couldnt so he said save my $$$$$ and do it myself. 4 days later it was done

All the chrome was like this so off with it all and gave it all a good polish

then it was time to turn to the interior another 2 days on it saw ALL the chrome removed and cleaned, even heater control bezel etc, seats were removed

1/2 the seat cleaned and creamed up with smartwax dressing

Before and after

It was well worth the effort to pull it apart and wash it all then use some protective cream on it all. Just thought i would share
Cheers,
j
jusTANG
PatCH the Platypus
PatCH the Platypus

Post by jusTANG »

Still can not believe i posted up these pic's the first time now i will do it a second time....OMG

now for the ugly of it all

;x oil leaks were the name of the day once she look all nice and clean
Cheers,
j
jusTANG
PatCH the Platypus
PatCH the Platypus

Post by jusTANG »

ok so after a quick degrease and a couple of trips down the high way to Ozbilts and of couse the Merrylands state concourse it was time to get down and dirty for the ACT rego Natzi's

thats some dirt and grime no wonder rego would need it cleaned up :w what was i thinking. All the sump bolts needed to be re tensioned and yes the dreaded control valve saga started.

thought i better clean up

so while i was at it i scrub the whole car underneath all nice and clean
Cheers,
j
jusTANG
PatCH the Platypus
PatCH the Platypus

Post by jusTANG »

I have been having trouble with my gauges of late, they didnt work then they did then they didn't then they did and then they went and never came back. :: The fuel needle never got above 3/4's of a tank from the day i got the car.
After some research on the forum on some older posts, I tested the input side was fine and then the out put side was nothing also I earthed out the sender side to see if it would go full scale, thanks nassi, a quick call and thanks to MustangNut always happy to help. I was sure it was the voltage regulator.

original

So pulling it apart found she was toast.....

Capital Classic's were out of stock of replacement ones so off to jaycar I went. I got a 7805 in a TO220 package and some heatsink paste. It was mentioned on the thread that it was placed in the original box, thanks Glen68 and after a chat with the salesman I went off to the remote control hobby shop and asked for some silicon wire (more Flexible). The electrical tec suggested this wire that would plugged into the fingers, i then could strip down the wires and solder them on.

I bolted the regulator to case with some paste between as suggested

wires connected and tested in dash, all went well first time. the middle leg was a earth so i added a extra earth as someone suggested. The colour wires are different to what would be normal.

so total cost was
$1.65 for regulator (7805 in a TO220 package (jaycar))
$4.95 for Heatsink (barely used any)
$1.00 for wire (hobby store)

thinking I would show what I did, I am no way good with electronic's and asked alot of questions to make sure i got it to work correctly. So my thoughts were any one else that is not real clued up with this type of thing could see how it could be done and maybe help someone. For all you experts i am sorry, seems so simple now
Cheers,
j
cage
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by cage »

Justang, where you been mate. I thought you would be all over this site.
"The simple answer is, even if I have decided I still don't know what to do."
donoauto
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by donoauto »

coming along well mate. Geez , that engine bay is a little bit hideous :bash:
Lucky it's got a good looking bonnet to hide it all :poke:
(PRAYER) Oh thank you Wild Turkey American Honey & Cola in those small thin bottles, for giving me the strength to act like a half wit, and say stupid things at inappropriate times, semi-anonymously, on a public forum.
Amen.
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

I love looking at "unmolested" cars.... 8O & j's is as good as they come when looking in the engine bay.... :thumbs:

Why I talked him into entering the car in "Driven Original" last year, it did really well. Sure it has been worked on over the years, but everything is still in its place. A neat car all round.
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet