Stu's ebay 67 Fastback restomod

Create your project threads here if you prefer to keep them out of the regular forums

Moderator: Moderators

stu67
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Stu's ebay 67 Fastback restomod

Post by stu67 »

Howdy all,

Well, thought it about time i start to intro my car and what I am doing to it. Many years ago, a good friend of mine let me drive his 65 coupe. From that moment on i was hooked and going to get myself a Mustang, the 67 Fastback being my drug of choice. Recently things have been good on the work front so i thought, lets do it. Good thing the wife agreed...

Contacted Matt at Shermatt and asked him to import a car i had already spoken to someone about. Matt warned me to let him check it out first but in the heat of the moment i jumped the gun and bought a lemon.... you may remember this thread about "Scam a Scammer"

The car arrived last december with many thanks to Matt and work started immediately and boy was there alot of work to do. Shermatt were great and stacked the vehicle full of parts, both new and old for me so i could save some $$ on buying them here.

Plan is :
Fairly plain looking exterior, keep the sexy stock fastback lines.
Lowered, nice but not outrageous wheels with large disks and updated suspension.
Worked late model injected V8, late model auto, lsd rear,
RHD converted.
To do everything myself with help of my father and enjoy the building process just as much as the finished product. Dads getting on a bit and its nice to spend some time working on something together again. Wont ever be a concourse car but thats not what i want, nor have the money to achieve.

This my first project car, will be a daily driver or used at least a few times per week and therefore needs to be reliable. I plan to keep it for a long long time.

Below are pics of what i thought i was getting....

AND this is what i got......

Well, work has begun as you will see in the next bunch of pics.....

TBC
stu67
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Re: Stu's ebay 67 Fastback restomod

Post by stu67 »

The engine was described to me as "Running when parked" at the time of purchase. Upon getting the car it was noted this was a very broad term, perhaps the seller meant "running before i parked it, stripped the heads, exhaust, radiator, all electrics" Engine looks to have sat for a long time with the bores open to the elements and water sitting in them.

Note the missing core plug....
Sump was full of corrosion.
Pistons rusted solid to the bores, looks like water has sat in the sump until the sump rusted through and it drained out.

Engine is pretty much ruined, not worth the time to chisel out the pistons, resleeve and repair everything, so the donor vehicle we need has to have a good, solid engine. Note that when the prop shaft dropped out the back of the c4, a lovely, red milky sludge drained out, so looks like water has been sitting in the gearbox for some time too.

The recent purchase of the following donor car will make a big difference...

Purchased an entire EF fairmont for $1k, its a wreck but the engine starts and sounds great, its been modified and dyno'd at 300 rear wheel HP. Gbox is good too with a LSD rear end, only problem with it is that a small Japanese vehicle tried to get into the front passenger seat and by the look of the damage, nearly got the seatbelt clicked in too. Structurally its a write off but mechanically its in top condition.
Last edited by stu67 on Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
stu67
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by stu67 »

First day of work.....
Unloading the beast...

Fred Flinstone floors...
Cutting begins, alot of metalwork to do but no time like the present...
Last edited by stu67 on Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
stu67
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by stu67 »

Second day of work.....
Floors cut out for the cabin, had to fabricate new leaf spring mount boxes and weld in.
Floor Cut outs done and new left and right floor pans located and tack welded in.

My 2 favourite tools, a hammer and a mallet.

stu67
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by stu67 »

Day 5.
Looks like my dad got bored during the week while i was at work (He is recently retired) and he decided to weld the floor pans in completely. His welding is alot better than my amateur attempts so probably a good thing, he cants keep his dirty mitts off ;2
The seat risers are still loose, will keep them this way and modify them to handle the front bucket seats
Locating the rear panels after removing the previous rusted mess..

Welded in and looking better, new rear panel support ties everything together nicer.
New tank makes it look even better, though we have had to use the magnabender to fabricate a rear backside for the diff tunnel.

Have some new lower quarter panel extensions that we are going to have to install to tie up the new trunk panels to, so cant complete them yet.... A job for a little later on.

Next up is stripping the Fairmont, going to be doing something a little different, using the entire set of Fairmont running gear, drive line, suspension and brakes. Rebuilding all of the mounting points on the mustang to accommodate everything so its going to be a major job, but it will turn into something very different. Will have to work out alot of things along the way and get some wheels with different offsets, but as price is a bit of a factor I can do alot of things with the donor car to save myself money and make my car the way i want to. Cant wait, getting excited!!
Last edited by stu67 on Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
stu67
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by stu67 »

Slow on the updates, but large one attached :)

Well, things have been on and off, my father and mother spent 9 weeks on the east coast so the car took a little of a back seat, but now its all systems go and things are back on track. Most of the horrible work has now been done and we are starting to put things back together which is a very rewarding process i am finding.... So, where to start....

Discovered the joys of POR15, this stuff is worth every penny....

Reapiring the pillars, yes we are no Ozbilt with our body work but it will all get touched up nearer the finish

Tail panel and rear valance are trial fitted with Tek screws to get everything lined up and square. Tek holes to be spot welded over.

Fire wall and toe boards all repaired and painted with rust proof. Cant wait to cut the firewall and switch it up for the RHD conversion.

Multiple sheet repairs under the back seat. My father thought it prudent to re-weld both seatbelt connections for safety's sake.

Seat risers installed. Was amazed at the added strength these put into the floor pans. Used a trolley jack under each floor pan to bring them up marginally to the underside of the riser to reverse all the sagging while a 110kg lump was sitting on them...

My father holding the seat to check positioning. Thanks to Jtourvas for the seats, will fix the GT500 on them as mine isnt going to be a GT500 clone. Apart from that they are in superb condition. Note the burn marks on the wood, from jacking up the floor pans then spot welding. Car now smells like burnt pine!

Right hand drive just feels more natural....good thing i dont have the windscreen in else the car noises i was making might have left residue on the glass.

Test fit of the bumper to make sure all sits square still, valance not fitted. Gas cap looks good, thanks again to Jtourvas!

Trunk lid not sitting straight, nor the quarter panel extensions, but damn i like the way its starting to shape up. Bumper shines up very well, thanks Matt from Shermatt for packing it so safely :)

Well, getting there, not bad for a weekender job with my father doing bits and pieces when he feels like it during the week. Definately getting to the rewarding part of the process.

Next.....Engine is on its way out of the fairmont, so is the wiring loom, then the dashboard and i will fabricate my own dash and support fitting the electronics from the fairmont. Plan to have cruise control, electronic dash intruments and all the fairmont aircon etc incorporated. Going to be a squeeze but cant wait.

PIcked up most of an XW front end, so going to use these bits to get it past the licensing people, less headaches than trying to fit the fairmont front suspension and steering arrangement. $60 for the XW bits wasnt a bad find, just needs the disks replaced and calipers restored to their former glory :)

Hope to have the suspension and steering done inside the next month and the engine installed the month after that. Till then, apologies for the long winded post!

Stu
Last edited by stu67 on Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
stu67
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by stu67 »

Update...

Not alot going on, chasing down bits and pieces and doing a number of fiddly bits and pieces.....my father has spent alot of time on ebay of late winning various things..... so its all coming together.

Brakes are looking good, ready to go on, as is all of the front suspension. Just awaiting a few minor things like rubber boots and we are ready to roll.

Dash has been cut and welded to suit its new life as a right hand drive...

Got the old wheels and tyres off and replaced with some cheapies for now, so i can sell the 4 x white wall tyres i had the car shipped with. Makes a massive improvement, fills the guards out nicely and makes the car look alot more substantial.
Only dreaming of the day i get the CS 18's over...the white walls are for sale on the sales forum...plug plug...
Much healthier looking!
Last edited by stu67 on Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
stu67
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by stu67 »

Been a while since i have been on here, but here is a quick update....

Home made conversion to RHD complete.

No, that wheel is not staying in.

Front suspension rebuilt and installed, refurbished doors cleaned up a little, panel work still to go.

Converted dash fits well, need to rebuild the hinges on the glove compartment.

Havent been seated in a Mustang for 15yrs, forgot just how cozy they are compared to late model vehicles.

A fair bit of work has gone on that isnt in the pictures, like the brake booster being installed and she shelby drop completed. The EFI motor in the fairmont is ready to come out and will be slotted snugly in the engine bay this weekend, cant wait to see the stance with the engine in it.
Last edited by stu67 on Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nassi
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by nassi »

Good luck mate and thanks for sharing, i have a feeling i've seen it before though?
cheers.
stu67
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by stu67 »

Busy couple of weeks, but nice and productive!

Engine prepared and ready for pulling out. Amazed just how messy the stock wiring is, havent Ford heard of cable ties? Cutting the radiator panel out allowed the engine to come out nearly horizontally with gearbox still connected. A fair bit heavier but much easier.

The engine has only done approx 5,000km since it was rebuilt and worked on, so just a bit of cleaning and some new small fixes should do for now till the rest of the car is done and it gets modified further.

After a little measuring we decided to do the same trick on the Mustang as we did on the Fairmont, that being to slit the radiator panel to open up the front of the engine bay and allow for a more horizontal installation. The panel will be welded back on shortly after the engine is in.

Engine in, front panel temporarily placed in ready for welding. Entire install took approx 40 minutes, thanks very much to Scotts66stang for his info on the engine mounts a couple months back!

Now the fun begins, lots of wiring to neaten up and hide away, piping to run and problems to solve.
Last edited by stu67 on Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.
jusTANG
PatCH the Platypus
PatCH the Platypus

Post by jusTANG »

keep it updated, going good stu
Cheers,
j
Nuts
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Nuts »

Well done Stu. You make it all seem real easy. Of course it really is... Not!! :headbang:
cage
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by cage »

Awesome pics Stu. Mate you must be happy with the progress. I am thinking RHD now. Bloody Hell Stu what are you doing to me.
"The simple answer is, even if I have decided I still don't know what to do."
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

Coming along nicely.. and fast!
Does your newly retired dad want to work on mine while I'm at work too? :lol:
ChilliChadd
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac