67 Convertibuild

Create your project threads here if you prefer to keep them out of the regular forums

Moderator: Moderators

scott66stang
Mustang King
Mustang King

67 Convertibuild

Post by scott66stang »

09-07-10

This is the new addition to the stable , 67 c code vert I took delivery of last week from Melbourne loaded with parts for my 66 fastback from BLKPNY . I viewed alot of pics that Steph sent me and on arrival there was no surprises as far as rust goes . This will be a back to back build of my 2 Mustangs , with the 66 Fastback taking priority. There is heaps of work to do with totally rusted floor and recently discovered accident damage on closer inspection. I had already purchased the floor and one rear skin locally well before delivery of the car as they came available , and have now compiled a nice long list of parts that will have to wait till spring , as autumn and winter has shred the money tree out the back to bits.

Last edited by scott66stang on Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
scott66stang
Mustang King
Mustang King

Re: 67 Convertibuild

Post by scott66stang »

Plans are not a restomod as the fastback, but something a little different . RHD conversion again with std suspension and disc brakes , not going factory colour at this stage. I thought the original colour was the browny red as in the pics above but now have discovered it was lime gold with white/parchment interior and roof after a strip down and tag decode. Both are nice colours but not for me , i like red but that is well and truly done on convertibles. I am leaning more towards a late model Ford purple colour (Menace) with white/parchment roof and interior as my wife and 3 daughters will also get to drive this one on occasion and have given the thumbs up .

Last edited by scott66stang on Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
scott66stang
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by scott66stang »

So after an assessment of the body and chassis, and a list of parts needed I was able to get stuck into it while the fastback is waiting for the temp to rise so I can do some painting.
1st of all I made up a Jig to keep it in shape while the floor is cut out . I dragged out a HQ holden chassis I had laying around ( who says Holdens are good for nuthin) this makes it mobile and I made it high for easy access underneath.

Last edited by scott66stang on Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scott66stang
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by scott66stang »

I have now removed the seat riser and 90% of the floor , cleaned out the rails and treated. I will have to repair or replace the rh inner sill rail and rebuild the rear torque boxes .

Last edited by scott66stang on Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scott66stang
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by scott66stang »

Meanwhile because I have the new LHR ¼ , I have cut of the old one that had been badly damaged and bogged up. And just test fitted the new to readjust the door gap , will need to clean up the frame and patch inner wheel arch before welding panel permanetly.

Last edited by scott66stang on Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scott66stang
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by scott66stang »

11-07-10

Got the repairs on the RH inner rail done today , but still need to rebuild the rear torque box area. The LH side is in good nic so will be good once cleaned up with a sand blast. The rail has rusted from the outside in , between the floor and rail so the inside was good and I got away with a repair rather than replace. Was a small section which had a small hole and lots of pitting between the front torque box and the under floor reinforcement pan , and a bigger area at the rear torque box.

Front section first

Last edited by scott66stang on Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
scott66stang
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by scott66stang »

The back section I decided to do a little “Tutorial” :pop: for those who havent done this sort of stuff and wanted to have a crack.
I forgot to get a pic of it cut out :banghead: but you can see the section in another pic where I have decided to bend up and plug weld in a extra reinforcement behind the patch , just to be satisfied it is strong in that crucial area.

Area to be repaired

First cut out the section and lay a piece of paper folded to shape if necessary , taped in position over the hole . Then run a “dirty finger” which you will have if your doing the job right , over the cut areas to leave a marked line. Cut out and transfer the pattern on to the steel also marking any folds , cut out marked shape with shears or a thin grinding disc and bend to shape after checking 2-10 times you are folding it the right way. Stuffed that up many times.
Make sure both mating surfaces are ground very clean , position metal and tack weld with the 2 pieces flush in one corner , you can then pull out or hammer in the other corners and tack before fully welding. Use a flap disc to clean up and check welds.
Hope that this will help someone. :cheers:

Extra reinforcement

welded in , plug welds marked in red

marking cut out

Transferred and cut out

Ready for welding in
welded and cleaned up

Last edited by scott66stang on Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:33 pm, edited 4 times in total.
scott66stang
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by scott66stang »

14-07-10

left and right rear torque boxes are now repaired and all the chassis rails except the front and under floor reinforcement pan have been sandblasted and primed

Last edited by scott66stang on Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
scott66stang
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by scott66stang »

New floor section welded in and seam sealed. Now i need to clean up and refit the seat riser and wait till i get the new "rear floor to shock support to boot" section from the US along with the rest of the parts i need.

Last edited by scott66stang on Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scott66stang
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by scott66stang »

Busy day today , removed the inner and outer cowls , dash , steering column

As you can see the Rh side firewall , floor and kickpanel has previously had a bit of a bash and has been bogy repaired. I wasn’t too concerned about this , especially after I checked all the chassis measurements and all was good . I am doing the RHD conversion anyway , and with everything apart and getting replaced new it should go back into place with careful measurements. Before I pulled it apart , I also borrowed my mates porta pack and pushed the rh pillar and kickpanel into position and realigned the door to the rear quarter for future ¼ panel replacement.

Last edited by scott66stang on Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

Wow!
I thought mine had a lot of work needing done.
That's awesome stuff.. very good work!
scott66stang
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by scott66stang »

hybrid wrote:Wow!
I thought mine had a lot of work needing done.
That's awesome stuff.. very good work!
Mate this will be easy compared to the Fastback because i will be replacing panels rather than repairing , and the RHD conversion will be a straight cut and swap , whereas the Fastback firewall was modified to take the huge fairlane climate control heaterbox , pedalbox and brake booster. And after removing the dash i can see that will be easier than the 66 too.
Im quite happy with it overall because i paid under 10k for it and only looking at 10k to finish with new wheels interior and top. Ive already got the XY discs and new suspension bits i setup for the Fastback but can go on this now because i brought the RRS stuff for that , im sure i will go over budget a bit with more wants.
ChilliChadd
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by ChilliChadd »

scott66stang wrote: , im sure i will go over budget a bit with more wants.
You're bound to go over budget, it's too hard not to with a parts catalogue close by :cheers:
scott66stang
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by scott66stang »

ChilliChadd wrote:
scott66stang wrote: , im sure i will go over budget a bit with more wants.
You're bound to go over budget, it's too hard not to with a parts catalogue close by :cheers:
I know but ive gone through it many times and i keep coming up with 5k au not incl shipping and thats with a few small parts for the fastback. So im pretty happy. The only thing that will blow it is if i decide to go with the RRS rhd conversion kit at $5100 which will bring it around 2-3k over the 10k but save heaps of time.
Napes
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

Post by Napes »

Really impressive! And I thought I had rust problems! ;)