New sheet metal question.

Technical Discussion on Pre-1973 Mustangs

Moderator: Moderators

nassi
Mustang King
Mustang King

New sheet metal question.

Post by nassi »

Is there one brand that stands out or alternatively a brand to avoid.
TIA
cheers
mustangpanels
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

Re: New sheet metal question.

Post by mustangpanels »

Hi nassi,

As for brands It is very hard to pick brands as most items are made in Asia and re-boxed for the retail outlets in the USA.

There are not many factories making the same parts but ther are some, also some have good and some have bad fitting parts.

As for fitting of panels OE when the Mustangs were new they never fitted perfect anyway so even if there are any OE new old stock around you would still need to re-work them if you wanted them 100%.

I am an importer of panels my suggestion is talk to people and see who they have purchased from and if the items fitted to their likings and then ask the supplier if their suppliers have changed, this would insure the same fittment as you have asked the customers.

I deal direct with Factories throughout several Asian countries and will only deal with the same ones, If they are out of stock I wait as I know the quality is to my standards and the standards of my customers.

Cheers

Gary
www.mustangpanels.com.au
Mustang owner and supplier of Mustang body panels.
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

I am assembling a 66 fastback with all new outer panels (inc 1/4 panels & door skins) that Gary supplies. I will do a pictorial "how to" & show how all gaps are adjusted or created. I will be in the "tech shop".

As Gary said above, all these cars were "massaged" at the factory for fit & the same applied when fitting "factory" panels. Even the old days of fitting 60's & 70's GM (Holden) Ford & Chrysler (Leyland was the worst), everything had to be belted into shape to make it fit.
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet
nassi
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by nassi »

Thanks guy's thats the type of answer i was hoping for. I'll pass it on.
cheers
scott66stang
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by scott66stang »

I got two rear floor pans for the 66 FB one fitted great the other needed hammering . I had the choice of a asian import or old stock US made convertible ones where the outer lip was turned down for a vert. I got the better vert one and bent the lip up , but as Gary says they were not constructed perfectly in the first place.
nassi
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by nassi »

Thanks Scott.