does this look right?

Information on importing your car or parts

Moderator: Moderators

tceddia
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

does this look right?

Post by tceddia »

this is my invoice for my mustang. payed 3000 for the car, 2200 for the shipping, and now these charges. First time buying one, so im just seeing if this looks about right. Any input?

thanks
mikes68
Mustang King
Mustang King

Re: does this look right?

Post by mikes68 »

Yep, that all looks pretty standard stuff there Tristan...

This should have all been explained to you by your shipper though up front but that does not always happen. Everyone wants their cut of the pie and I don't see anything out of the ordinary there.
Fifty Years Afloat

We can't alter the direction of the wind,
But we can adjust our sails
Cruzn65
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Cruzn65 »

its a shame I cant see anywhere an actual definition for these things or what is actually done for this money......
early Mustang enthusiast\collector of all bits Mustang
Pinto-Pete
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Pinto-Pete »

Cruzn65 wrote:its a shame I cant see anywhere an actual definition for these things or what is actually done for this money......
that'll be in the "just cause" column :poke:
I'm Batman...

Crane Operator
Mammoet Australia
Rye Park Wind Farm
Frank70
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Frank70 »

Hi there.

Yep , that looks exactly the same as the invoice I got today for my import.

Almost $ for $ identical !! I suspect we have the same broker.

I think the fees are high, but others seem to think they are right.

Cheers,
Frank.
1970 Mustang Fastback 302 Toploader
1964 Ford Galaxie 500 Sedan 289 C4
1970 Chevrolet El Camino 350 Father/Son project
1995 BMW M3
2002 Ford Falcon XR6
tceddia
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by tceddia »

hey Frank

midlife crisis imports? is that who your broker is?

my car is due to arrive in melbourne on wednesday the 13th of july.

how about yours?

the vessel name is hanjin duesseldorf
66 c-code mustang coupe
289ci engine
Frank70
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Frank70 »

Hey.

Yep , Midlife Crisis Imports.

I was expecting about $400 less just going by others have paid.

Was initially told my car was due about mid August. Then I got a call saying this week, so it must be the same boat. I thought he had made a mistake as I knew someone else importing a similar car to mine. So we may be sharing a container !

What are you getting ? I am getting a 70 El Camino.

Cheers,
Frank.
1995 BMW M3
2002 Ford Falcon XR6
ken123
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

Post by ken123 »

mikes68 wrote:Yep, that all looks pretty standard stuff there Tristan...

This should have all been explained to you by your shipper though up front but that does not always happen. Everyone wants their cut of the pie and I don't see anything out of the ordinary there.

Hi everyone just want to clarify all charges were gone through with Tristan,prior to purchase...regards ken.
Frank70
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Frank70 »

ken123 wrote:
mikes68 wrote:Yep, that all looks pretty standard stuff there Tristan...

Hi everyone just want to clarify all charges were gone through with Tristan,prior to purchase...regards ken.
Hi Ken.

Interesting that you say that as you didn't go through this at all with me.
You didn't even tell me who my broker was !

In fact I am still waiting for you to tell me which ship my car is on !

Cheers,
Frank.
1995 BMW M3
2002 Ford Falcon XR6
jusTANG
PatCH the Platypus
PatCH the Platypus

Post by jusTANG »

I thought that seemed ok for a import, what are the additional charges you will get (minus the usual bullshit cleaning charge, plenty of prior discussion on that so will leave it alone lol) or is that it all?

Just in interest thats all, to see the real cost.....mmmmm options :headbang:

Ken, I don't doubt the charges and that were explianed however being a new person to imports alot goes over ones head, I have personally read post after post about shipping trying to get the guts to pull the trigger but some of what is said just goes over the head unless your done it before and understand.
I suppose its like so much info on here I ask it to be dumb downed to a level I can understand. I am sure no one meant anything against you as you have a great name on here as being very good to deal with........ just seems alot after paying the same amount to ship the car
Last edited by jusTANG on Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers,
j
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

Couple of things to clarify.

Shipper cannot tell you what ship it is on until it leaves the port, I think it may even have to have left the country (for example, if the ship picks up in San Francisco then goes to Long Beach, then your agent is notified when it is on the high seas).

With me, I organize my own agent & receiving yard this end (always use the same people), my US shipper (sometimes Ken) would just send the paperwork to the agent this end he tells me what is happening. That is what I pay them for, they do the lot, all I need to know is when to pick stuff up & how much to pay.
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

BTW, there was no cleaning fees on the invoice above, but a fumigation fee instead. So that container was bagged & bombed, nothing will be alive in that lot.

There was also dunnage, so must have been 3 cars at least in that box, 1 up on a wooden frame.

Not unusual for them to open a container & see spiderwebs everywhere, that is when they bomb them. Usually after that they do not worry about pressure washing them if the cars are reasonably clean (as I said above, nothing is alive in there)
Kerry

Frank70
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Frank70 »

Well given my car is due this week, I think Ken would have known the ship by now.

I never heard anything, never had the charges explained to me or even told who the broker was.

Any emails I sent after the car was shipped were pretty much unanswered.
Plus the car was shipped prior to getting the import approval.

I had some parts I wanted to go with the car and they didn't make it as Ken already shipped the car. I am still waiting to hear back from Ken as to whether they can go in another container, but I pretty much gave up and organised my own shipping for them.

Cheers,
Frank.
1995 BMW M3
2002 Ford Falcon XR6
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

Frank70 wrote:Well given my car is due this week, I think Ken would have known the ship by now.

I never heard anything, never had the charges explained to me or even told who the broker was.

Any emails I sent after the car was shipped were pretty much unanswered.
Plus the car was shipped prior to getting the import approval.

I had some parts I wanted to go with the car and they didn't make it as Ken already shipped the car. I am still waiting to hear back from Ken as to whether they can go in another container, but I pretty much gave up and organised my own shipping for them.

Cheers,
Frank.
Ken would have notified your agent, that is what happens. It is your agent this end that explains the fees, you cannot expect Ken to know what they will charge, he only knows his end.

However you should have been told who the broker was, do not know what went wrong there, that is why I always use the same guy, but as this is probably your first time importing, that was not an option.

As for shipping before the approval, not good. What was the date shipped & when was the approval granted? There must have been some crossed wires in that instance.
Kerry

HappyOne
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by HappyOne »

They seem to be roughly in line with what I paid some 12 months back - a bit higher in some areas but not by too much.

I could be wrong on this statement but, the way I see it, the charges that are charged by the handling company on this end are hardly the fault of the person at the other end being (USA) those fees are set by a combination of the handling company and the Government as far as I'm aware aren't they ??

I’ve never met Ken (I’m sure his a great guy) as I purchased my car through Matt (Shermatt International) no one told me the full costs at this end either but just doing my own homework I realised that we had to pay a fee at this end to get it in the country. However, I was told the name of the ship my car was on by the shipping agent which Matt put me in direct contact with.

The bottom line is, it will all work out in the end l’m sure and you’ll look back and have a chuckle about it all once your out driving it for the first time – unless it breaks down that is and you ned to arrange a tow truck back !! LOL

:thumbs:
Last edited by HappyOne on Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Never Die Wondering ...What If ????

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they Wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day. "