Spraying Underneath of 1969

Need help on paint, paint prep, welding, engines etc?

Moderator: Moderators

1969cjet
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

Spraying Underneath of 1969

Post by 1969cjet »

My Mustang is going to the spray painter this week for some final body work and painting. Does anyone have any photos of what the underside of a completed 1969 should look like or point me in the direction I can find some photos. Thanks in advance.
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Spraying Underneath of 1969

Post by ozbilt »

1969cjet wrote:My Mustang is going to the spray painter this week for some final body work and painting. Does anyone have any photos of what the underside of a completed 1969 should look like or point me in the direction I can find some photos. Thanks in advance.
What factory? As they were all different.
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet
1969cjet
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

Post by 1969cjet »

Thanks Kerry

San Jose

Thanks Darren
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

1969cjet wrote:Thanks Kerry

San Jose

Thanks Darren
OK, so it is red oxide. Sikens make a red brown primer (least they did) that is a good match for what was there originally. Lance (muzz67) would be able to give you the good info on that.

Proofcoat/sound deadener is only on the rear wheel arches & rear of the front arches (against the firewall). It is black with the car's exterior colour oversprayed on it. Basically have the body bare (no parts on it) & then have the red oxide colour done, proofcoat & then shoot the colour to all exposed surfaces as if you are painting the car on a production line. So outsides of the rear rails etc get exterior colour.

Body has doors & boot on it, 1/4 extensions are spaced off as are the front headlight buckets. Front guards & bonnet and front loose panels are all painted separate, but at the same time. Rear valance is on the car.
Kerry

scott66stang
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by scott66stang »

Hey Kerry is a 66 san jose meant to be red aswell , or did it change? mine had what looks like the original black under all the crud.
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

scott66stang wrote:Hey Kerry is a 66 san jose meant to be red aswell , or did it change? mine had what looks like the original black under all the crud.
Lightly sand through the black, you should find the red oxide under it. I have seen those cars painted black over the primer, usually dark coloured cars though.
Kerry

ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

Scott, you are not thinking "concourse" now are you? 8O
Kerry

69candy
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by 69candy »

There is a fair bit of info here http://www.428cobrajet.org/. If you do a search you will find an excellent post on the subject. Hope to paint under mine in a few weeks
scott66stang
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by scott66stang »

ozbilt wrote:Scott, you are not thinking "concourse" now are you? 8O
Haha No , too late for that , just interested because i have seen the red oxide on other concourse mustangs and wondered about it.
The underneath of my car was taken down to metal Kerry , and there was no red at all , only a hard factory looking off black looking colour which showed up like new in the tunnel that was covered in old oil and grit.
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

Reality is it was usually paint slops that was painted under them. Mix all the common colours together & you get dirty greens & grays. San Jose usually had the red oxide though in later years.
Kerry

jademustang
Baby Mustang
Baby Mustang

Post by jademustang »

Kerry, which of your answers do we go with, "OK, so it is red oxide" or "Reality is it was usually paint slops that was painted under them. Mix all the common colours together & you get dirty greens & grays"
jademustang
Baby Mustang
Baby Mustang

Post by jademustang »

bump
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

jademustang wrote:Kerry, which of your answers do we go with, "OK, so it is red oxide" or "Reality is it was usually paint slops that was painted under them. Mix all the common colours together & you get dirty greens & grays"
Rule of thumb...

San Jose, red oxide with the proofcoat & overspray as stated above.

Other factories varied depending on year.
Kerry

soc123_au
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by soc123_au »

Red oxide underneath , the slop grey on a 69 should be used on the bonnet lock support, export brace & the upper front shock mounts. Overspray & proofcote as per ozbilts post. inside of the rear valance also red oxide, front valance & gravel deflector undersides should be painted body colour (there is conjecture on this point) Headlamp doors should be body colour on the inners with a generous squirt of satin black overspray over it.
Bosskraft
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by Bosskraft »

Some of the info posted above is not correct. San Jose cars did not have slop grey paint used on the hood latch support, export braces etc. They were black on 69's built at that location. Dearborn was the only factory to use slop grey on those parts in that year.

The upper shock mounts are not grey, but are actually black on a San Jose and Metuchen built vehicle. Dearborn cars were phosphated.

Below is a link to how a San Jose 69 should be done, which is virtually identical to most (I said most..) Metuchen built cars for that time. Of course, where this car below is yellow, your 69 body colour would be in that place.

Then, in the link below, you can see black oversprayed over the whole lot. That is the last thing to be done, as they oversprayed from the pinch weld on the sill's. This is an area often overlooked in a resto.

The headlamp doors or fender extensions as they are often referred to, are not all sprayed with black on the back side either. That is very much factory specific. Metuchen built cars are not painted on the back and some cars that I have pictures of were only painted on one side! The guy on one side of the line was lazy, having a smoke, perhaps a joint, while the other guy did his job. Got pics of that on an unrestored vehicle too.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2 ... 0096419510

If you have any specific questions, feel free to email me and I'll have pictures of super low mileage, completely unrestored cars to support my answers/advice.
Sean McDonagh
www.bosskraft.com
MCA Gold Card Judge