Wiper conversion??

Create your project threads here if you prefer to keep them out of the regular forums

Moderator: Moderators

unilec5544
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Wiper conversion??

Post by unilec5544 »

Busy converting my car to RHD, at the moment changing over the wipers.
My wipers are still parking to the right, i have read somewhere that i need to change the gear in the box to correct this. Its a 65 FB with a 2 speed motor.
Appreciate any help, Cheers Neil.

Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Re: Wiper conversion??

Post by Shaunp »

You just turn the main crank arm on the front of the box 180* on the shaft. Don't need to touch inside, at least that's what you do on a 67. The shaft has 2 flats, so you just kind move around a rotation. It just has to be in the oppersite place to where it is now so the park on the bottom. Worse case just cut and re weld if you can't turn it around on a 65
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

Shaunp wrote:You just turn the main crank arm on the front of the box 180* on the shaft. Don't need to touch inside, at least that's what you do on a 67. The shaft has 2 flats, so you just kind move around a rotation. It just has to be in the oppersite place to where it is now so the park on the bottom. Worse case just cut and re weld if you can't turn it around on a 65
You can turn them same as a 67... :thumbs:
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet
donoauto
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by donoauto »

I also had to swap over the links going to each pivot to get the correct "length of sweep" across the glass from each arm. If you look closely on each linkage, they are stamped LH & RH.
(PRAYER) Oh thank you Wild Turkey American Honey & Cola in those small thin bottles, for giving me the strength to act like a half wit, and say stupid things at inappropriate times, semi-anonymously, on a public forum.
Amen.
Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Shaunp »

Yeah that to
unilec5544
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by unilec5544 »

donoauto wrote:I also had to swap over the links going to each pivot to get the correct "length of sweep" across the glass from each arm. If you look closely on each linkage, they are stamped LH & RH.
Thanks Shaun & Kerry, All good it works much better now :thumbs: .
The 65 2 speed motor has the same length arms, but they are still marked LH & RH reason is that the bushes that connect them to the main arm are different sizes, no idea why.
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

unilec5544 wrote:
donoauto wrote:I also had to swap over the links going to each pivot to get the correct "length of sweep" across the glass from each arm. If you look closely on each linkage, they are stamped LH & RH.
The 65 2 speed motor has the same length arms, but they are still marked LH & RH reason is that the bushes that connect them to the main arm are different sizes, no idea why.
Mark is talking about the short arms to the wiper pedestals, not the long actuating arms. From memory the short ones are different lengths, also the tabs where they join the long arms are opposite.
Kerry

unilec5544
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by unilec5544 »

ozbilt wrote:
unilec5544 wrote:
Mark is talking about the short arms to the wiper pedestals, not the long actuating arms. From memory the short ones are different lengths, also the tabs where they join the long arms are opposite.
Ok the smaller arms you refer too are 10mm difference in length, apart from grinding off the flared pin head, can't see how else to get them apart. Does it make that much difference to the operation of the wipers?

donoauto
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by donoauto »

Just reverse/swap the whole long arm , including the smaller pivot assembly as pictured , from side to side. There was some steel tag that I had to bend out of the road so it didn't foul. You want to mirror image it, so to speak.
The difference with mine was that the driver's side wiper arm had a large enough sweep to creep over the side of the windscreen moulding on the a-pillar & the passenger side had a smaller degree sweep. I get a much better coverage of the screen by the wipers now.
I hope i make sense.
(PRAYER) Oh thank you Wild Turkey American Honey & Cola in those small thin bottles, for giving me the strength to act like a half wit, and say stupid things at inappropriate times, semi-anonymously, on a public forum.
Amen.
unilec5544
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by unilec5544 »

donoauto wrote:Just reverse/swap the whole long arm , including the smaller pivot assembly as pictured , from side to side. There was some steel tag that I had to bend out of the road so it didn't foul. You want to mirror image it, so to speak.
The difference with mine was that the driver's side wiper arm had a large enough sweep to creep over the side of the windscreen moulding on the a-pillar & the passenger side had a smaller degree sweep. I get a much better coverage of the screen by the wipers now.
I hope i make sense.
Yeah, unfortunately thats not as easy as it sounds, the 65 2 speed, must be different to later models because of the different bearing sizes at the motor.
I may just place the windsreen in position and attach the wipers to see what they sweep like.

ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

Cut the ends off the long arms in the same spot on each & swap. The reason the smaller arms are differing lengths is if you look at the sweep of each wiper, you will see that one sweeps further than the other. That is what you have to reverse.
Kerry

Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Shaunp »

Just put some cable ties on the spigots to check sweep, you don't really need the glass, The tail of the ties will give a good idea how close you are.
you'll need to swap the arms to the oppersite side. I don't understand why you can't swap the links and spindles to the opersite side. So left becomes right and right become left. Dosen't it just reverse if you bend the limiting tabs.
donoauto
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by donoauto »

unilec5544 wrote:
donoauto wrote:Just reverse/swap the whole long arm , including the smaller pivot assembly as pictured , from side to side. There was some steel tag that I had to bend out of the road so it didn't foul. You want to mirror image it, so to speak.
I hope i make sense.
Yeah, unfortunately thats not as easy as it sounds, the 65 2 speed, must be different to later models because of the different bearing sizes at the motor.
I may just place the windsreen in position and attach the wipers to see what they sweep like.

Yep, that sure is different to my '67 one. I only have the one pivot shaft coming from that short link on the wiper motor. Then the 2 arms going off to the left & right are stacked up on top of each other, retained with a c clip sort of thingy. I'm sure that i remember that i still had 2 different sized bushing (like you) on the link arms & the pivot was stepped, large on base, thin on top.
What gets me with your style is that unlike 99% of wiper motors, your little pivot arm (shown in photo , joined to wiper motor) couldn't possibly do 360 degree rotation as the underside link arm would obviously jam on the motor. Never seen those before.(but i don't have any grey hair either- still a bit wet behind the ears, me thinks)
Amen.
unilec5544
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by unilec5544 »

I will find some time today and cut and reweld the arms. I only have the bracket tacked in so I can move it quite easily if need be.
Thanks for the help guys.
donoauto
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by donoauto »

Check you park position before you final weld the bracket in place also. Mine parked out of sync. & I had to redrill the 3 mounting holes & rotate the motor on it's bracket a little to get them to match at park & take off in the same direction when I 1st turned them on.
Amen.