Newby

Create your project threads here if you prefer to keep them out of the regular forums

Moderator: Moderators

Bicks
Baby Mustang
Baby Mustang

Newby

Post by Bicks »

G'day guys! I'm new to the scene. I am looking to start a project car. I have always been keen to learn and I now have the time and the money to get into it however very little experience.

Roughly what I am looking for:

Earlier than 70's (love the classic style, dont like the Mach style)
Fastback would be great (understand they are getting pricey)
Wouldn't mind a coupe but with a V8 (with my limited experience I wouldn't really like to attempt a 6 cyl to V8 conversion)
Working condition highly desirable

I am happy to re-do interior, paint job and to recon the engine and replace parts over time. Would not be confident with handling major rust.

I have some mates close by eager to help but if I stuff things up, I would be looking to spend a lil more to get someone to un-muff it.

I've noticed that it would prob be cheaper to import than to buy one in Aus that roughly meets what I am looking for. I understand I could be looking at 10-15k. (if i could find one cheaper...great)

So I thought I would just say Hi and get some opinions on the direction I should take.

Cheers Bicks :drool:
IGALOP
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Re: Newby

Post by IGALOP »

If you can possibly do it, get a car from Australia.
There have been that many so called "project" cars imported that have caused massive headaches, it's not funny.
Get the best bodied car you can afford and have an experienced eye check it over for you.
What area of Vic are you in?
Good luck!
Last edited by IGALOP on Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Selling the Mustang story to all those who will listen!
There are many listening in Gippsland.
Bicks
Baby Mustang
Baby Mustang

Post by Bicks »

Sale, lol not far from you by the looks.

I will def keep looking in country.
nassi
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by nassi »

+1 on buying a local car.
IGALOP
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by IGALOP »

Bicks, a few Mustangs around Sale/Longford and plenty more if you include Traralgon, Maffra & Bairnsdale. Happy to show you mine if you want to have a look at a 67 Coupe.
PM me your email address/or phone details and I'll get in touch.
Selling the Mustang story to all those who will listen!
There are many listening in Gippsland.
unilec5544
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by unilec5544 »

http://www.mustang.org.au/forum/viewthr ... ?tid=15952

Even if you buy local get someone to check the car out for you.
HappyOne
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by HappyOne »

Suggest you way up how much you’re prepared to add to a project car in terms of restoration dollars.

It may be better to buy a car that is a good daily driver and restore over time. If you are importing a good daily driver, you will need at least $30K to achieve a fairly good result.

If you can find one here for around those sort of dollars that is equal - buy it here - otherwise use a reputable broker who will look after your interests.

As others have indicated, there are too many other examples of people spending around $10 -15 K only for it to end up in tears.

That is only paying about $5-8K for a car and the balance in shipping and duties etc

There are the odd decent project cars around here in oz for approx $15K.

In saying all that – I did import mine from the USA

P.S WELCOME TO THE FORUM

cheers

Happyone

:drink:
Never Die Wondering ...What If ????

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they Wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day. "
mwizz
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by mwizz »

Welcome to the forum Bicks
scott66stang
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by scott66stang »

Welcome mate, all spot on advise above. :thumbs:
rock66
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by rock66 »

[quote="Bicks"] I've noticed that it would prob be cheaper to import than to buy one in Aus that roughly meets what I am looking for. I understand I could be looking at 10-15k. (if i could find one cheaper...great)

Bicks,this is not necessarily the case, by the time you pay all your costs you could be up for alot more than first thought. There are alot of cars for sale here and you can look at what your paying for. Good luck with the search and welcome to the forum.
donoauto
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by donoauto »

Welcome Bicks. Get onto Shermatt.com & add yourself to his mailing list. Matt is an Aussie ex-pat living in Florida, brokering muscle cars. His latest email contained a few fastbacks around $11K-$13k. At that price, they obviously need work. As far as importing, I would only trust Matt or another gent on here called Ken123 (I think ken is on here, maybe he's just on MOCA forum), if I couldn't be over there to inspect in person myself. Nevertheless, scott66stang lists his car for sale here on Ken's behalf.
Good luck, tread wary & take your time.
p.s. you can roughly add $5k-$8k on top of the cost of the car to get it to your doorstep from USA
(PRAYER) Oh thank you Wild Turkey American Honey & Cola in those small thin bottles, for giving me the strength to act like a half wit, and say stupid things at inappropriate times, semi-anonymously, on a public forum.
Amen.
Bicks
Baby Mustang
Baby Mustang

Post by Bicks »

Thanks guys for all the advice....The hunt continues