Technical Discussion on Pre-1973 Mustangs

Moderator: Moderators

HappyOne
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Happy's day out - tow ride back home - need some help guys

Post by HappyOne »

Well guys,

I had an eventful day today which started out fantastic as they usually do.

We (the wife & l and two kids) decided to take the car for a run up to Mt Tamborine for the morning. Nice 40 minute run up there.

The car sounded real sweet going up, after I had a new exhaust system fitted yesterday – actually sounds like a real V8 now. It was sounding a bit like a old six and ran a bit rough.

But it certainly makes a difference and the car just ran a lot better. That was until we got back in after stopping at the bakery for morning tea. Started to car and it just started spluttering and surging – a few pumps on the gas peddle soon spat it all back into shape for a few minutes then it came back again on the drive down the mountain.

We ended up breaking down at the foot of the mountain…..I was thinking maybe we got some crappy fuel when we toped up on the way up there?

So I took the air cleaner canister off and could see the front two jets in the carby were still spraying fuel. Took the strainer filter out and sure enough there was some (only a few) rusty particles in the filter, so I, guessing some may have passed between the filter and into the body of the carbie.

Another problem that was identified by a nice bloke (Andrew) who lived in the house near where we broke down next to his drive way – happens to have a real nice XY GT Falcon – and is a bit of a novice mechanic ….. He found that there was very little spark being generated for the points in the distributer.

The thinking is, it could be in need of a new coil (which is a yellow top …maybe original) and or a new condenser.

We ended up having to get it towed home the guy was going to charge me $130 but he helped us out big time and I pulled him away from a family BBQ so I slung him $180 bucks for his efforts ….he only lives up the road, so I figger it maybe best to keep him happy for future needs!!

Tonight I’ve pulled the fuel tank out and I’ll replace it with the new one I’ve got and tried and flush out the carbie a bit but both front and back chambers seemed pretty good.

But just wanted to get some thoughts on what you guys think of the lack of spark …does it sound right to you all with the coil and condenser ......I know their not expensive anyway and I replace them just in case….but could it be something else as well!!

8O 8O :(
Never Die Wondering ...What If ????

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they Wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day. "
blkpny
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Re: Happy's day out - tow ride back home - need some help guys

Post by blkpny »

My old points dissy used to burn the points, after a while, because the resistor was shagged.

Electronic is the way to go, unless you understand points, or have a sadistic passion for them!
Resto-Mod & Repro Mustang Parts, from the biggest & best suppliers in the Biz. For a sample of what we have, check out www.custommustangs.com.au if you don't see it there, give us a call 03 9782 8850 0438351400
Or stop into our Showroom 2/14 Lakewood Blvd, Carrum Downs
Mustangs are Addictive!
66 Coupe 418w C4 3.50 9" Convo's 10.9@122 FOR SALE
94 SN95 Coupe Supercharged V6 Daily
65 Coupe Project
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

Prob the points, rarely a coil. If I had a $ for every good coil that has been thrown away......
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

BTW, I have Pertronix in my cars, carry a spare set of points in the glove box for years, never have had to use them.
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet
HappyOne
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by HappyOne »

blkpny wrote:My old points dissy used to burn the points, after a while, because the resistor was shagged.

Electronic is the way to go, unless you understand points, or have a sadistic passion for them!

Maybe thats the way to go BLKPNY,

The points are only less than a week old though as l had a full service done before sending the car off for roadworth cert.

Cant l get an electronic kit for this car?

Do you know what there worth?

Ed

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they Wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day. "
shermatt
The Fatkid
The Fatkid

Post by shermatt »

That sucks Ed.

I had that the other day with Sheri's new car (64 289)

Car was driving fine but a bit rough but had been in storage for so long I thought a good run would sort it. Stopped out the front of a parts joint and thought I would quickly replace the points.

Then the bitch wouldnt start

Ended up being there for 2 hours along with new plugs, points, coil, fuel filter (glass type)..still running a bit ruff but atleast I can eliminate those things for now....going to take it in today and get my mechanic to go over it and bleed the brakes and get them adjusted

New tank wouldnt go astray either...good call

I would also replace the fuel filter and maybe put a new needle and seat in the carby. Points, condensor, coil, plugs and leads...whats that gonna hurt (besides the back pocket) but atleast you know there done and brand new

While your at it, drop the oil and throw on a new filter (thats if its not done allready)

Whenener this kind of stuff happens to me, I just replace the lot so I can easily eliminate any thing else that happens on the road.

In any event, if pain persists, contact your doctor or seek medical attention
shermatt
The Fatkid
The Fatkid

Post by shermatt »

electronic...even better
HappyOne
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by HappyOne »

ozbilt wrote:BTW, I have Pertronix in my cars, carry a spare set of points in the glove box for years, never have had to use them.

Hi Kerry,

The Pertronix system - I've seen one on a shelf at Mustang Auto's ...but a few have also mentioned to me to get an electronic kit ????

is that what they mean buy that statement??

The Petronix systems about $300 or there abouts are'nt they ?

HappyOne
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by HappyOne »

shermatt wrote:That sucks Ed.

I had that the other day with Sheri's new car (64 289)

Car was driving fine but a bit rough but had been in storage for so long I thought a good run would sort it. Stopped out the front of a parts joint and thought I would quickly replace the points.

Then the bitch wouldnt start

Ended up being there for 2 hours along with new plugs, points, coil, fuel filter (glass type)..still running a bit ruff but atleast I can eliminate those things for now....going to take it in today and get my mechanic to go over it and bleed the brakes and get them adjusted

New tank wouldnt go astray either...good call

I would also replace the fuel filter and maybe put a new needle and seat in the carby. Points, condensor, coil, plugs and leads...whats that gonna hurt (besides the back pocket) but atleast you know there done and brand new

While your at it, drop the oil and throw on a new filter (thats if its not done allready)

Whenener this kind of stuff happens to me, I just replace the lot so I can easily eliminate any thing else that happens on the road.

In any event, if pain persists, contact your doctor or seek medical attention
Hey Brother,

Yep just about replace all that you mentioned.

But never noticed it until today- the bloody car has no fuel filter fitted.

I’m going to put one of the old fashioned glass bowl filters in it. At least then I can clean it out easily and keep a watchful eye on the fuel and any shit in the lines.

The surprising thing was Matt, when I drained the tank tonight there was fu*k all crap in the tank – in fact it was pretty darn good. But I’m still going to whack that new tank in anyways.

Monique and the kids were all good sports though!!!

She took some great photos ……NOT!!

The funny thing was … she remembered the first day we took our old Mustang boat out for the first time and it broke down as well ---- it was just a $1.00 fuse .. but still buggered up the day.

Don’t think I’m going to be that lucky this time …but it’ll be all good soon!

She just laughed …and the kids had fun hangin shit on the old man all arvo too!!

:thumbs:

moe
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by moe »

ozbilt wrote:BTW, I have Pertronix in my cars, carry a spare set of points in the glove box for years, never have had to use them.
That is what I did with my old coupe, and what I will be doing with the convertible.

There does seem to be a high failure rate if the ignition is left on and the engine is not running.
donoauto
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by donoauto »

HappyOne wrote:
So I took the air cleaner canister off and could see the front two jets in the carby were still spraying fuel.

8O 8O :(
Was the engine still running when you saw this?? If it wasn't , my 1st check would be stuck needle & seat in carby. Were you pumping the throttle when you saw this?? If you were , disregard my bum steer.
In relation to spark , definitely put electronic ignition in. I chose to buy a Bosch elec. replica dizzy of ebay & then put an original equipment Bosch module on it instaed of the chinese rubbish it comes with. Dizzy/coil/leads came in kit for around $180.
(PRAYER) Oh thank you Wild Turkey American Honey & Cola in those small thin bottles, for giving me the strength to act like a half wit, and say stupid things at inappropriate times, semi-anonymously, on a public forum.
Amen.
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

grumpy, I have a pertronix kit sitting here somewhere that I'm no longer using.
I've got an MSD distributor for mine now.

It's only the pertronix 1 (so you gotta be careful leaving your ignition on apparently as they can burn out). It's brand new though, so let me know if you want it. I think I paid $120 for it.. you can have it for $100 if you want it, and I'll post for free.

I don't have any experience with them though... other guys might suggest going for one of the later models, but I think Kerry uses Pertronix 1 with no issues.
nassi
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by nassi »

X 2.
cheers
LEEH69
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by LEEH69 »

That's not good news Happy,
only realised it was probably you after we passed you, if we were 5 minutes later we would have seen ya on the side of the road, BUGGER,
as long as you got home eventually, and you have an idea what the problem is,
Glad Mrs Happy is understanding, My wife loves the Mustang.....but when it break down she hates it with a passion, keeps telling me to get rid of that old piece of sh*t and buy a new one.

Na not gonna happen.....she just has to push faster.
Good luck with the fix anyway
HappyOne
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by HappyOne »

LEEH69 wrote:That's not good news Happy,
only realised it was probably you after we passed you, if we were 5 minutes later we would have seen ya on the side of the road, BUGGER,
as long as you got home eventually, and you have an idea what the problem is,
Glad Mrs Happy is understanding, My wife loves the Mustang.....but when it break down she hates it with a passion, keeps telling me to get rid of that old piece of sh*t and buy a new one.

Na not gonna happen.....she just has to push faster.
Good luck with the fix anyway
Lee ...true story one guy that "did stop" and followed me down the mountain mentioned that their was a nice blue mustang up on the mountain and the thought did pop in my mind that it might have been you.

oh well next time -- we'll catch up!!