Steering setup and alignment

Need help on paint, paint prep, welding, engines etc?

Moderator: Moderators

shane427
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Steering setup and alignment

Post by shane427 »

Would be very interested to hear how to setup up the steering, in my case 65' non PS. Have just replaced the lot and bolted it up, adjusting the tie-rods to be the same length as the old ones I took off.

Have read about shiming the upper arms for camber ect etc but still a little confused.

I just want to get it reasonably close, and then will get a full alignment before getting registered. Are there things to watch out for going from PS to MS? I ahve left the steering gearbox the same for now.

The art of alignemnet to me is like black magic, any useful advice is greatly appreciated. May even be a good tech article?
moe
Mustang King
Mustang King

Re: Steering setup and alignment

Post by moe »

What sort of driving do you want to do?

I'd recommend getting an export brace to reduce flex in the shock towers.

You might find these links useful(one more theory, the other, how to):

http://www.mustangmonthly.com/techartic ... index.html

http://www.mustangmonthly.com/howto/mum ... index.html
shane427
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by shane427 »

Cheers Moe, export bace is on the list. Reccomendations of places to source.

Have re-read the articles. Is it correct that:

Camber - shim the control arms. What thickness shims or is it trial and error to get the 1 degree or so?

Caster - can't adjust on 65-66' without installing adjustable strut rods? Is it important anyway

Toe - adjust tie-rod length to get slight toe in. What is a ballpark amount for general road use with V8. Does power and weight adjust toe requirments or just driving usage?

Cheers,
Shane
Pedro
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Pedro »

This advice form the American Boss 302 Forums

On a 1970 Mustang with power steer, assuming your front end is in tip top shape, especially the caster or "radius" rods (they cannot have any play).

Caster 3 or more degrees positive
Camber 0.5 - 0.75 neg
Toe-in 3mm
nassi
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by nassi »

Perdo's numbers look good. Remember to move the car back and forward before taking any measurements.
Where abouts in perth are you?
cheers
Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Shaunp »

If it has power steer give it more caster. Caster makes the steering heavier but also makes them steer way better . So give it as much as you like +4.5 to +5 even. Some modern cars run +8 1/8" of toe is ok, and -0.5 camber. Trouble is you'll need to find some one who is prepared to do how you want.
You adjust the caster on pre 67 cars by shiming the top arm as with camber. You use more shims under one bolt to alter the caster. Same as you do on pre commodore holdens. It has the effect of moving the top of the stub axle back and front depending on the diffeance in shim numbers However you can turn extra thread on the caster bars to allow adjustment as per late cars. Always shorten cater bar spacing tube by 1/8"