Kim's 68 Coupe

Create your project threads here if you prefer to keep them out of the regular forums

Moderator: Moderators

mikes68
Mustang King
Mustang King

Kim's 68 Coupe

Post by mikes68 »

Hi all... just starting a new thread here on behalf of a mate of mine. In case you hadn't guessed his name is Kim and he has owned this 68 coupe for around 18 years I think. He spent around 5 years living in California and bought this at the time to use as his daily driver. He enjoyed it so much that when he came back home he did the right thing and shipped it back where it has stood in storage for the last 12 years. The VIN stamping shows this car came off the production line only a little over a thousand or so after mine. Kim has been quite keen when talking about it but has just not been motivated enough to clean her up and get it registered here so today I dropped in and we had a good look all over it. I must say that I wish mine had been in this good condition to start with.

The car is a C code auto and generally speaking it is in very good, original condition and shouldn't actually take too much to get it ready for the pits. The floors are really good with only one smallish rusty section under the passenger front seat which should be a relatively easy patch. I say relatively easy because if you remember back to my floors... well, need I say more?!?

The exhaust should be replaced but could possibly get away with just the rear pipe after the muffler (note single exhaust).

The battery tray is probably cactus but that is to be expected and hopefully the cancer is not too bad on the inner fender panel.

Kim told me that the engine has about 18k on it since he had a new long block installed way back in the USA.

The paint work is not good but I think is pretty superficial. It was originally a D code colour (my favourite colour - Acapulco Blue) but was given a respray at some time in a blue / silvery sort of colour. In many places it appears to have just worn away with a reasonable looking original Acapulco Blue showing through underneath so I would be tempted to go hard at it with some heavy duty cutting compound and see what coud be done before going for a more complete re-spray back to original colour. The roof of course needs to be done properly to stop that from deteriorating in our harsh Aussie sun.

The interior is in pretty good condition with only the smallest tear in the head liner. The carpet is clean with no wear so was likely replaced not long before Kim bought it. All of the trim panels are clean and intact. The dash pad needs to be replaced with it being about the only piece showing its age. The rear seat is near perfect however the front seats are both split but Kim has new seat covers and padding so they can be recovered. The door trims are perhaps a 50 50 but could be saved I think.

All windows go up down okay and are intact but the rear quarter windows could probably do with a lube to free them up a little more. Not bad but could be better. I guess all the seals (doors / windows) could be replaced as they are typically dry and a little cracked in places.

Nearly all of the panel gaps are even and nicely spaced.

Kim has a lot of spares that he bough and shipped back with the car including 3 additional sets of original hub caps (both red and blue deluxe centres)

I took a few photos to document it for him and also so that I can look at pricing up the "must have" work to be done so that he can get it on the road and enjoy it...

Right rear trunk drop off

Right rear torque box, rear floor quarter

Rust hole - right hand side under front passenger seat

Right hand front torque box / front frame rail extension, front floor quarter

Inside right hand fender looking rear

Inside right hand fender looking forward. Note battery tray reinforcement plate

Next few images speak for themselves

Just in front of the right hand rear wheel

Right hand quarter panel bondo cracked

Rear valance, bumper, tail light panel all in good condition. Minor ding on left hand side of trunk lid visible

Right hand trunk drop off in good condition

The roof has some typical surface rust however over the years has been treated with some rust inhibitor fortunately. It is quite rough to the touch however some good surface prep should take care of it prior to a good coat of paint.

Underside of hood in good condition with no dings or rust evident

Now here's a typical candidate for repair - the battery tray. Hopefully it won't have extended too much into the inner fender panel

Left hand side of firewall from engine bay

Looking down the right hand shock tower wrap. Pretty good here with little to now flexing evident

Same same down the left side shock tower wrap. Both front and rear on both sides still sitting reasonably snug

Left hand side of the firewall from the engine bay. The firewall overall looks pretty solid although some of the grommets are missing

Like the right hand side the next few pics need no introduction

Smallish blister forming in front of the left hand rear wheel

Left hand trunk drop off - once again good solid and dry condition

Looking rearwards at the left hand trunk drop off

Looking rearward of the rear floor quarter section

Left hand front frame rail extension and underside of driver's seat floor

Left hand front torque box

Small blister on lower front of driver's door

Left hand outer rocker looking forward - clean and solid

Right hand outer rocker looking forward - again, clean and solid

Left hand rear corner of trunk lid

Inside trunk looking down the left hand trunk drop off - verifies the good condition from the inside

Inside trunk looking down the righ hand trunk drop off - verifies the good condition from the inside

The transition panel is in excellent condition with no rust. Fuel tank looks great from the outside (top and bottom)

Both left and right trunk floor panels, inner and outer wheel wells all look in really great rust free condition

Looking up at the driver side lower cowl panel vent. All surface rust but solid condition.

Looking up through the heater box vent door on the passenger side into the lower cowl panel vent. From what I could see on the outside it also looks pretty good. Did a water test down into the vents of the upper cowl panel with no obvious leakage so that's a really good sign although I think at one point my mate may have directed the water straight over to the dam and I copped a face full

Next 3 shots are just moving across looking up at the centre sections of the lower cowl panel

The rear deck panel looking across left to right is in perfect condition with the paint looking as new along with a couple of pioneer speakers.

So overall, this car is in pretty good condition and hopefully I can help him get it going so he can start to enjoy it again instead of looking at it every day sitting in his backyard under a tarp...
Fifty Years Afloat

We can't alter the direction of the wind,
But we can adjust our sails
chopmgw
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Re: Kim's 68 Coupe

Post by chopmgw »

Geez that takes me back to when I first started my 68.
Good luck with the resto and thanks for posting.
I smell oranges !

Michael
tim_morrison82
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by tim_morrison82 »

I might be interested in some of the spare hubcaps, if he doesnt need them all. But we'll talk more in a few months.

Im always excited for a 68. Not many of them over here in the west!

(edit: in the west, RUNNING! Lol!)
Dreaming the dream... Living the reality...
mikes68
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by mikes68 »

tim_morrison82 wrote:I might be interested in some of the spare hubcaps, if he doesnt need them all. But we'll talk more in a few months.

Im always excited for a 68. Not many of them over here in the west!

(edit: in the west, RUNNING! Lol!)
Hi Tim, it will be some time before he gets this on the road and until then he will not be interested in even considering letting go of anything...
Fifty Years Afloat

ponyride
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by ponyride »

You've got a taste for projects Mike! Is that a HQ wagon in the background? If it's not too far gone I reckon you could tidy that up and sell it without too much trouble, help fund the Mustang project. The Qs are pretty popular.
Rick.

Old things amuse all minds.
mikes68
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by mikes68 »

ponyride wrote:You've got a taste for projects Mike! Is that a HQ wagon in the background? If it's not too far gone I reckon you could tidy that up and sell it without too much trouble, help fund the Mustang project. The Qs are pretty popular.
Yeah, around there Rick. I think 1974 to be precise. It belongs to Kim's dad and is still registered. Apparently it has been in the family for decades and has done 3 or 4 family vacations across the Nullabor (3 kids + Mum and Dad). Does need more work than the Mustang though...
Fifty Years Afloat