Non Mustang Projects that where not meant to be Projects

Non-Mustang related Projects

Moderator: Moderators

scott66stang
Mustang King
Mustang King

Non Mustang Projects that where not meant to be Projects

Post by scott66stang »

Was going to start up a "What stops you working on Your Mustang" Thread, but realised i can fill 6 mths worth which is about the amount of time that i have done sweet F All on my Fairstang project apart from the custom extractors.
Now im not talking about the small jobs like fixing the sprinklers, kids toys, servicing the cars, mowing the lawn, doing the fire breaks, cleaning, cooking, washing, sewing, changing endless amounts of shitty nappies and keeping 7 foster kids and the wife happy :yawn:

So this is my whinging or venting thread and hopefully also my accomplishment thread once the jobs are finished, could go on for years if its anything like my other projects. :-D

No particular order, but i have just about accomplished this project that wasnt meant to be.

Well it started back on fathers day when I brought myself this already disasembled you beute 4 post hoist for $700 with new pully pins and overhauled hydraulic ram that the previous owner had done. If it was a new hoist it would of taken a day to fit, this has gone on for about 3 months.

A few weeks later i sandblasted and painted it.

Then I moved my 2 post hoist to the centre of the shed and assembled the 4 poster in its place. This also meant that all the stuff that was sitting in behind the unused shed door and in the centre of the shed had to be put somewhere, which is why my shed is even more messier than before.

However it wasn’t going too good because the previous owner that was refurbishing it put the air release safety catches together wrong , so I had disassemble and re overhaul them to work out how they worked. Then also found the hydraulic hose was missing and it was weeks before I got a new one made. The pump oil sump was dodgy so fixed that and the electric switch box was missing.
Anyway got it so the hydraulics and the air release worked and was finally able to lift the hoist only to find that the cables kept popping off and getting caught in between the pulleys and it took hours each time to disassemble to free it and reassemble. So it has just sat half raised on an angle until recently when I had to get it going so I had space for the next project…. I will tell you about later.
Turns out the previous owner also threaded the cables wrong but I now have it sorted and have temporarily bodged up the electrics and air release to the point I can safely use it.

Stay tuned for the next chapter[align=right][align=center]
Last edited by scott66stang on Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.
ponyride
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Re: Projects that where not meant to be Projects

Post by ponyride »

8O Nice work Scott!
Rick.

Old things amuse all minds.
scott66stang
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by scott66stang »

My daughter decided to start up a animal farm/petting zoo business where she travels to kids parties, work functions, daycare centres, schools etc
She brought a business that had just been put together but hadnt really got started which had the trading name, website, animals and horse float. Great idea i said, it is right up her alley with her love for animals and if it gets her off them dangerous friggin race horses she was riding everyday at the previous racing stable job i was all for it and glad to help.
This is a trial run on my back lawn

Well F me had to do the running around to get her a loan, build yards and shelters, fix up the horse float and last of all find a suitable car to tow the float, the 91 Celica i previosly rebuilt wasnt going to cut it.
I was looking for a cheap EL-AU falcon wgn with towbar and preferably on gas as i have heaps of spares including a wrecked EL wagon. But no, i dont want a wagon she says, and she soon spotted a cheap 4wd ute for sale down the road.

It is a recently fitted dedicated gas 89 4wd Triton ute asking $2000, i checked it over and it looked good mechanically but i could see the water pump outlet was shot with a swelled hose.
The owner allowed me to take it home and hook up the float to try it out. It drove really well but shit it stank, the owner had 3 blue and red healers that looked like they lived in it , the cab was covered in all their hair.
Anyway i was happy with the mechanicals and after checking inside the door jams and around the body i could only spot a little rust in the back wheel arch and i managed to knock it down $300 in price.
The next day i went and got a new water pump hoses and fan belt and after battling with a broken water pump bolt in the engine block i was happy to finish.
Wasnt until the next day i spotted a bit of rust on the roof above the windscreen, i didnt check there :bash:
No worries i will just clean it up along with the rear wheel arch , put on a little filler and touch it up with paint.
So I removed the windscreen molding and gave it a little sand blast,
oh dear 8O

Last edited by scott66stang on Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
tim_morrison82
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by tim_morrison82 »

Sandblasting a cheap run about is bound to turn into $$$ fast!
Dreaming the dream... Living the reality...
scott66stang
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by scott66stang »

So i treated it inside and out with the roof lining peeled back filled a few holes with braze and mig welded some patches in and bogged up the rest of the pitting.
Then ended up painting the whole roof and touched up the rust in the rear arch. Got some double sided tape, cleaned up and refitted some of the side moldings on the drivers door that also had a spot of rust under and a section on the other side of the cab.
Still chasing a rear canopy door, the one that came with it was too bent to fix and the glass missing.
But this unwanted project is finished and my daughter has been driving around in it for 2 months and her business is doing well so far.

scott66stang
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by scott66stang »

tim_morrison82 wrote:Sandblasting a cheap run about is bound to turn into $$$ fast!
Or in my case alot more waisted Mustang time.

Stay tuned for the next chapter, and then the very recent huge project that wasnt meant to be a project. :popcorn:
TimR67
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by TimR67 »

I like the new hoist Scott, it looks like youve been busy. Not much to report here, just the usual lawn mowing, fixing lawn mower, weeding, servicing everyones cars, although Im starting to plan my next project, a V8 into a ride on lawn mower
blkpny
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by blkpny »

Scott the Rust Magnet!
Resto-Mod & Repro Mustang Parts, from the biggest & best suppliers in the Biz. For a sample of what we have, check out www.custommustangs.com.au if you don't see it there, give us a call 03 9782 8850 0438351400
Or stop into our Showroom 2/14 Lakewood Blvd, Carrum Downs
Mustangs are Addictive!
66 Coupe 418w C4 3.50 9" Convo's 10.9@122 FOR SALE
94 SN95 Coupe Supercharged V6 Daily
65 Coupe Project
IGALOP
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by IGALOP »

So Tim, you got the pic I sent of that V8 Ride on?
Now to decide which ride on becomes the donor eh? The missus said you can't have ours, just yet!
Better get those welding skills put to good use as well as sourcing a nice compact Windsor or are ya gunna go a big block?
Do you plan on entering it in next years "Cutters Cup" at all?
Selling the Mustang story to all those who will listen!
There are many listening in Gippsland.
scott66stang
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by scott66stang »

blkpny wrote:Scott the Rust Magnet!
Also a Wood Rot Magnet as it turns out in the other project. :-D
scott66stang
Mustang King
Mustang King

Re: Non Mustang Projects that where not meant to be Projects

Post by scott66stang »

About 4 years ago I scored a 22,000 gallon steel and liner rainwater tank normally priced at around $4500 or more.
A friend a few kms down the road on a 20 acres had been brought out by developers” there is now a new housing estate there” and said I could have their rainwater tank. Good stuff I said, I have been living on bore water for near 20 years and only have a small tank that lasts about a week if full of rainwater.
So one day I got a car trailer and proceeded to dismantle it by myself, it had about 20 panels bolted together with 13 bolts per join 230 bolts. Stuff that so I kept them in 2 and 3 panel sections, still a lot of bolts.
First thing was to remove the roof, the middle sheet was 8m long, that went well and it was time to unbolt the 2 x 8m curved roof purlins. Managed to manoeuvre one off but the 2nd one decided it was going to topple over at which point I had no control over, it crashed down inside the tank ripping the liner in a few spots on its way down.
A new liner was around $2500 so once I pulled down the the rest and took it home it just sat in a corner with the liner just crumpled up in a pile.

4 years later I was just moving around on the bobcat behind the shed in the rain, looked up and had this spur of the moment thought that I should be collecting all this water flowing off that huge roof space.

Ill just put the tank together and just repair the liner with sikaflex should only take a couple of days.
So I started moving the old cars out the way , dug out the pad area, dug up some yellow sand from another area of my block and levelled it using an ancient dumpy level as a guide.

2 mths later I had erected the tank , repaired the liner , fitted the roof just in time for summer , in other words I wont be getting any rainwater this year.

Wrong after one of the driest summers last year, we now are having our wettest. I did managed to get the plumbing from the roof done for the last day of a good downfall and it was like Niagra falls watching it pour in from inside the tank.

2 mths later with the wet weather the tank is now ¾ full however still not in use as I have to hook up the pump and run pipe and power to the front of the shed where the current plumbing for the shed is. So this is on my to do list.
Foresight
Zebras for hire
Zebras for hire

Post by Foresight »

Sweet job on that 4 poster scott
Might have to come around and trial test it for you :Rotfl:
Cheers,
Lee & Q
69 428 mach 1 - Guess who...it's Q!
ChilliChadd
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by ChilliChadd »

Nice work on the hoist Scott,
do you ever stop?
Chadd

_______________COUPDUP_______________
scott66stang
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by scott66stang »

ChilliChadd wrote:Nice work on the hoist Scott,
do you ever stop?
Too scared to.... If i stop i may stack on shitloads of weight, short and stubbie runs in my family and all the Bundy i drink " for stress related purposes only " doesnt help one little bit. :cheers:
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

Nice one Scott... I feel for you mate.
That's why I'm trying to get mine knocked over before we have kids.

I hope your daughter appreciates it.. I'm sure she does.