LulaMae

Create your project threads here if you prefer to keep them out of the regular forums

Moderator: Moderators

Garagemahal
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

LulaMae

Post by Garagemahal »

So it's nearly a year since I bought my 66 convertible, and nearly 6 months since it's been on the road. I thought it was time I should put up some photos. Have put this in the Project section because I've very quickly discovered that it will never be finished. :)

The background story is that I saw her on the Evilbay but let the auction end. Its a San Jose built 66 C code 2V 289/C4. Got in contact with the guy who was a little nervous about dealing with someone so far away from Missouri, but he was ok for me to get someone to have a look. Got onto the HAMB and asked if anyone was up for checking it out. A guy named Mike who was a mechanical engineer and a hard core hotrodder offered to help out. He ended up spending about half a day with the car, put fridge magnets all over to check for bog, took a stack of photos and wrote me three pages on it. I tried to pay him, but he wouldn't let me as a "goes around, comes around" kind of thing.
Anyway, did the deal for a price the seller and I were both happy with and organised shipping. Then held my breath for 4 months until it arrived. Was crapping myself when I went to pick it up after reading some of eth horror stories. Knowing what I know now, from reading this forum, there is no way I would buy another car sight unseen.

Car arrived and was thankfully better than I was expecting and better than what some people have unfortunately found. It's a solid, honest car, resprayed around 10 years ago. The paint is ok from 10 feet but is quite thin in some places. Panels need quite a bit of alignment work in time, but that can wait for a repaint. Had to replace three light fittings, a new rear axle seal and bearing (so did both) with the only really unfortunate surprise having to pull the gearbox to fix a couple of seals, but I had it rebuilt while it was out so made the most of it. Passed rego fine.

The chrome is a little pitted and maybe 6/10 but seems to be original. All the bits are there and work - electric roof, even the cigarette lighter works. The radio apparently works, but I like the exhaust note from the flowmasters too much to use it. Cowl doesn't leak, but needs a new heater plenum. Have a new ally radiator to put in at some stage (thanks blkpony) and picked up a 13" walnut wheel when I was in the US for work a few months ago. STill to go on and unsure if I want to get rid of the original.

Plans are to keep driving the wheels off it. Will do a front disc brake conversion this winter and will pull the engine for a refresh and grind hardened valve seats in in the next 18 months or so. Sooner if something breaks. Both may slip if the weather stays good and I can't get it off the road.
Cheers

Matt

Here's some photos.

I'm planning on living forever - so far it's working out well...
mwizz
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Re: LulaMae

Post by mwizz »

Looks like a great car, well done.
unilec5544
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by unilec5544 »

Seems to be in good condition, thats the best way to fix the car if you can drive it as well.

What does the top look like?
Cameron
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Cameron »

Really nice. I light those white walls.

Definitely stick the walnut wheel on there. If you need some pics of the front disc conversion - let me know as i have just completed it recently.

Blackpony does kits for those too is thats the route that you want to go down.