Mustang 50th Birthday Tour

Discussion of upcoming events in the Events Calendar

Moderator: Moderators

Faststangfan
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Mustang 50th Birthday Tour

Post by Faststangfan »

I'm putting this out to guage any interest in putting together a tour to the States to match any 50th birthday celebrations for the Mustang.
Obviously this would be around April 2014.
So feel free to reply with any ideas or notifications of events being held.
Perhaps some of our stateside based members could offer advice on putting together an itinerary?

:tomcat:
(Me, flying to the states in 2014)
Living the dream.
1969 Mach 1 351c
1970 Fastback 302w
1971 Fastback 351c
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Mustang 50th Birthday Tour

Post by ozbilt »

I would suggest you all start saving your pennies now as this will be a huge event. I can guess it will be in the southern states on the East coast as that is where the weather is more predictible at that time of the year.

You can bet during the drive across that you will encounter heat, rain & snow at least.

There will be a guaranteed MAA trip across to the venue from at least Las Vegas.

http://www.mustangsacrossamerica.com/

We have done 3 of the trips with them (94/5 & 6) & Sean (BossKraft) & muzz67 did the the 45th Anniversary run.

We took our car across for the 96 run (had tries to get it there for 3 years as we were flying it there in 94 but a stuff up in communications saw it stranded in Sydney.

In Winterset Iowa ( birthplace of John Wayne & where "Bridges of Madison County" was filmed ) Note the NSW license plates that stayed on the car for 6 months until the NSW rego ran out ..... :-D

Mustang Monthly article....

Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

Maybe we could consider a trip up state to DC & then across to Chicago & do Route 66 all the way back to Los Angeles .....

Happy to put something together as I have done that trip before & in an old car (although the Mach was 15 years younger than it is now.... 8O )
Kerry

Faststangfan
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Faststangfan »

ozbilt wrote:Maybe we could consider a trip up state to DC & then across to Chicago & do Route 66 all the way back to Los Angeles .....

Happy to put something together as I have done that trip before & in an old car (although the Mach was 15 years younger than it is now.... 8O )

That sounds like the sort of trip I would be keen on doing.
In a rented Mustang cruising route 66.... I'm sure thats on my bucket list. :thumbs:
Living the dream.
1969 Mach 1 351c
1970 Fastback 302w
1971 Fastback 351c
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

Faststangfan wrote:
ozbilt wrote:Maybe we could consider a trip up state to DC & then across to Chicago & do Route 66 all the way back to Los Angeles .....

That sounds like the sort of trip I would be keen on doing.
In a rented Mustang cruising route 66.... I'm sure thats on my bucket list. :thumbs:
Then plan on a 5 week vacation in the US to do all of that.

Couple of days in LA to get your "land legs" & do Disneyland, Peterson Museum, Wally Parks Museum etc.

6 day drive to east coast venue for the Anniversary bash

3 - 4 days at the bash

2 day drive to DC, 1 - 2 days to look around

2 - 3 days to Chicago then another 3 days to look around Chicago (lots of great museums there !)

2 weeks to drive Route 66 & then a few more days in the LA area before getting back on the plane.

Figure on about AU$10K a head (2 people sharing a car), so a couple would be AU$20K , family (say 2 adults & 2 kids) would run AU$30K. That would be my guess on expenses at this time.
Kerry

Faststangfan
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Faststangfan »

So I figure between now and April 2014 try and bank $830 per month in a Tour Account and that should cover the $20,000 for a couple.

Looks like I will have to cut back on lap dances or find a cheaper wife.
(Mind you this one is no cheaper than the first one)

I will definately be a starter for a trip of that magnitude.
(Unless my wife sees this post. I may not be out of intensive care by 2014)
Living the dream.
1969 Mach 1 351c
1970 Fastback 302w
1971 Fastback 351c
mwizz
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by mwizz »

Sounds like my kind of holiday but my wife has other ideas
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by boofhead »

I would be keen. Need advance notice the clear the deck though very interested.
I will someday think of something clever to say.
Cruzn65
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Cruzn65 »

Faststangfan wrote:So I figure between now and April 2014 try and bank $830 per month in a Tour Account and that should cover the $20,000 for a couple.

Looks like I will have to cut back on lap dances or find a cheaper wife.
(Mind you this one is no cheaper than the first one)

I will definately be a starter for a trip of that magnitude.
(Unless my wife sees this post. I may not be out of intensive care by 2014)
save on the lap dances and get them from your wife.... god knows we pay enough for the privledge!! :rotfl:
early Mustang enthusiast\collector of all bits Mustang
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

boofhead wrote: Need advance notice the clear the deck though very interested.
April 12-17, 2014 is the run from Las Vegas to the venue. Allow 5 days before that so you would be departing SYD around April 6 or 7 of 2014. Add 5 weeks to that date.
Kerry

shermatt
The Fatkid
The Fatkid

Post by shermatt »

Just heard yesterday that dearbourn Michigan is going to be the host of the 50th
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by boofhead »

ozbilt wrote:
boofhead wrote: Need advance notice the clear the deck though very interested.
April 12-17, 2014 is the run from Las Vegas to the venue. Allow 5 days before that so you would be departing SYD around April 6 or 7 of 2014. Add 5 weeks to that date.
Advanced notice received - I am in.
I will someday think of something clever to say.
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

shermatt wrote:Just heard yesterday that dearbourn Michigan is going to be the host of the 50th
Who did you hear that off? I have not heard it through any of my contacts & I was with the MCA Pres & most of his board members only a month ago. However that does not mean to say it is incorrect.

If it is Dearborn, then I am not going. Place will be still iced over at that time of year & will be easy pickings for the 20% unemployed in that area. Not a nice place. Mean temps in the low 50's with lows in the 30's ( that is Fahrenheit )

To be honest, if it is up that way at that time of year then I believe not many will turn up.
Kerry

shermatt
The Fatkid
The Fatkid

Post by shermatt »

Heard it from Sherm in some general banter as I was walking through his showroom with a heap of 9" axles that I had borrowed from him

He was with all the mustang hobnobs from all of the local car clubs and stuff just chewin up his day...so I didnt stop as they talk for hours about all things FORD...not that is a problem but when your busy, you dodnt want them walking down to you pad to chew up any of your day

It may be speculation or a rumour.....its just what I heard walking through a grannys meeting

As soon as I heard that.....I was with Kerry 100%...no way in hell Id be going

ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

I will do some checking, but I am reluctant to think that anyone would consider holding an event of that magnitude in Dearborn. Like where would you find a spot to fit 5K + show cars, let alone decent parking for the trucks & trailers ?

NY would have made more sense as that was where the Mustang was announced to the world & the Worlds Fair grounds still remains today (you see it every year at the US Tennis Open) but again, bad time of the year for that spot as well.

This event would be driven by the MCA, with major backing from Ford. So my bet would still be North Carolina or Georgia. However I have known to be wrong before..... :poke:
Kerry