Jag for the Boss Missus

Non-Mustang related Projects

Moderator: Moderators

scott66stang
Mustang King
Mustang King

Jag for the Boss Missus

Post by scott66stang »

Found this Australian Compliance 1990 XJ40 Soveriegn on Gumtree a few weeks ago thought it looked alright.
The loverly wife liked it alot so i asked if she wanted it for her driver? Not that their is anything wrong with our current NL Fairlane ... but i did sell her BMW a while ago to help fund the Mustang. ;)
The Jag came with a spare donor 1990 Damlier Jag with low km and great interior but major rust in the plenum and frontend damage, to be used for the repairs. Unfortunately the original previous owner sent the donor bootlid to the panel beater and never past it on to this seller as promised, however before i left to inspect, a quick search and phone call priced a bootlid from a european wrecker for $275 not too bad.
Anyway the wife was keen on it so i rang the bloke to organised a looksy.
Problem was it was about 11/2 hours hike and after thinking... i have enough projects i cant finish :lol: and it was going to cost me either a couple of days transporting both the cars by trailer or $700 for a towtruck, i rang him back to say ive changed my mind. He piped up and said thats no problem mate if i pay the asking price he will transport it for me.
Damn! i was talked into going to have a look. :argh:
When i got there it was in the sun and actually looked better than in the photos and the deal was done.

These were the add photos

And the donor car

Last edited by scott66stang on Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
scott66stang
Mustang King
Mustang King

Re: Jag for the Bossmissus

Post by scott66stang »

When it was delivered home i chucked it on the hoist and checked it over. Apart from a small leak from what i think is the engine powered brake booster thingy all was clean. The donor car has new suspension springs and disc brakes so i will transfer them over. And the donor also has some very nice cream electric seats and console im thinking of using in the 67 Vert project.

The Good

The Donor Car Interior

scott66stang
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by scott66stang »

The Damage

scott66stang
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by scott66stang »

I have started work on it, will update soon

A 76 series 2 XJ6 i owned around 12 years ago, i converted to 302W and C4 Auto

soc123_au
Mustang King
Mustang King

Re: Jag for the Boss Missus

Post by soc123_au »

Looks alright Scott. Are you going to repair the beaver or chop it off the other one? The qtrs & bootfloor will repair easy if you have a way of pulling it.
scott66stang
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by scott66stang »

soc123_au wrote:Looks alright Scott. Are you going to repair the beaver or chop it off the other one? The qtrs & bootfloor will repair easy if you have a way of pulling it.
Replacing the whole back panel from the other one, i actually did it all yesterday but was too lazy to finish my post last night. :drink:
soc123_au
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by soc123_au »

Well get to it, I am keen to see what you did.
scott66stang
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by scott66stang »

I couldnt work the new photobucket editor last night to point out the creases in the rear quarters, spent hours trying. Funny did it just then no worries. Wasnt the alcohol dont think. ;)

The right is the same but not as bad next to the antenna hole

scott66stang
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by scott66stang »

So it looks like this has backed into a tree or power pole.

I took some measurements and compared the donor car, the rails were pulled in about 10mm the top about 15mm.
My theory is it would of been pushed in and up, so i cut a hole in the back beaver and put a chain through it chained it to a similar size tree down low and did a few little drive offs like i was removing a bank ATM from the wall.
This was a good result it released the pressure moved the rails out about 5mm and the top the same slightly decreasing the top of the panels.
Photos or a video would of been good for this part of the process but i was too excited or involved to remember that.

I then went and picked up the boot lid from the wreckers , didnt realise untill i got it home it was the same colour as the car , i thought it was more blue as it was covered in dust , i actually asked for and almost decided on a slightly damaged silver one not thinking gunmetal grey.
"SCORE" :thumbs:

So i cut out the damaged section and borrowed my mates porta power kit to pushed the rails out further, with the boot lid bolted in place while applying a little heat and hammer and dollying the creases out. Turned out quite good but the tail pieces requuire more work

scott66stang
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by scott66stang »

I found a schematic on the web from a workshop manual of the rear panel removal and replace procedure and location of all the spot welds. so the next stage was to cut out the section off the donor car and carefully unpick it, and also the recieving car. This was the most time consuming, not so much the donor panel as it was roughly cut off with grinder and plasma cutter at the rails and then unpicked with a grinder took about an hour. But the repairing car was another story taking around 3 hours to spot weld drill and seperate without too much damage.

Donor

Repairing car

TimR67
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by TimR67 »

Good stuff Scott, I love the Jags, How are your other projects going?
scott66stang
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by scott66stang »

TimR67 wrote:Good stuff Scott, I love the Jags, How are your other projects going?
They arent Tim, this is the first time ive worked on a Car project since the Thought collecting Couch around 10 or more months ago. Been looking after 7 foster children for 7 months and couldnt get alot done. 4 kids left about 11/2 months ago and ive been flat out ever since catching up.

Still got that caravan stripped apart, brought another one and converted to bunk beds and went camping 3 times over the last 3 months and currently building a shower/toilet cubicle in it. That will be another "other Project" thread. :lol:

Im quite patient and will get back to the Fastback eventually, but i recon it'll take a few days to get my head around it and work out where i was last at.
scott66stang
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by scott66stang »

This is how i left it yesterday as i had to attend to household duties at 3:30 pm
But i quickly put it in for a test fit, still have to trim the bottom.
All the square bumper bracket holes match up perfectly to the rail so i assume all is good.

Not doing anything today , got family visiting and a 2 kids with the flu.

Last edited by scott66stang on Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dynamic
Living the Mustang Dream
Living the Mustang Dream

Post by Dynamic »

Great work scott you waste no time good job mate!
Pete
Mustang Project:
http://dynamicstang.blogspot.com
ponyride
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by ponyride »

Great Scott! You're a machine mate.
Rick.

Old things amuse all minds.