PM - why?

Need help with something on the website, forums etc? Ask here.

Moderator: Moderators

G-man
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

PM - why?

Post by G-man »

Hello,

I have sent a few PM out to people and the thing never leaves the outbox. Its like it just is not sending... why?
mikes68
Mustang King
Mustang King

Re: PM - why?

Post by mikes68 »

It means they have not read it... That's all
Fifty Years Afloat

We can't alter the direction of the wind,
But we can adjust our sails
ponyride
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by ponyride »

Now if it was on the MOCA site you wouldn't have this problem, admin reads 'em first!
Rick.

Old things amuse all minds.
nassi
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by nassi »

ponyride wrote:Now if it was on the MOCA site you wouldn't have this problem, admin reads 'em first!
:popcorn:
jusTANG
PatCH the Platypus
PatCH the Platypus

Post by jusTANG »

ponyride wrote:Now if it was on the MOCA site you wouldn't have this problem, admin reads 'em first!
:rotfl: was thinking the same when I just read OP :angel:
Cheers,
j
donoauto
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by donoauto »

:lol:
(PRAYER) Oh thank you Wild Turkey American Honey & Cola in those small thin bottles, for giving me the strength to act like a half wit, and say stupid things at inappropriate times, semi-anonymously, on a public forum.
Amen.
G-man
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

Post by G-man »

what you mean reads them first?

That is invasion of privacy. There are laws against that!

How can they read it if its in outbox and not sentbox... usually outbox means message still needs to be sent and sentbox means it sent, then its up to them to read when they do... how can they read if they haven't even got it...
Foresight
Zebras for hire
Zebras for hire

Post by Foresight »

Not getting involved in the moca admin reading pms but this sites admin definitely do not.

Basically the pm you sent will show in your outbox (and also as an unread message in the recipients inbox) until the recipient reads it. When they have read the pm it moves to your sent box and shows as being a read message in their inbox.

It means you can tell when the recipient has read your pm which is handy because some people don't come on the forum for weeks at a time so you know if you should try and contact them another way if your pm never moves to the sent box.
Cheers,
Lee & Q
69 428 mach 1 - Guess who...it's Q!
G-man
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

Post by G-man »

What happens when you see them post every day and it still never moves?

Something smells fishy around here!
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

G-man wrote:What happens when you see them post every day and it still never moves?

I would say that who you PM'd do not have the pop up function enabled. Mine tells me straight away, hard to ignore.
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet
ponyride
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by ponyride »

G-man wrote:What happens when you see them post every day and it still never moves?

Why don't you make a post telling the person that you've sent them a pm? I've got a message sitting in my outbox that's been there for yonks. The member doesn't come on here often so I'm assuming he's not received it yet.

It's not a policy on this site that PMs are read by admin but on MOCA (unless it's changed recently) I believe they're quite open about reserving the right to read PMs, especially if it's in relation to a discussion about this site. It's their site so they can set the rules. There's history there not worth going in to.
Rick.

Old things amuse all minds.
soc123_au
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by soc123_au »

Just replied to a PM George. It should now show as sent. I know I dont have the pop up enabled so I only reply to PMs when I notice that I have one. Also if I am browsing on my phone I dont open them as replying is a pain on the phone. Once I open one if I dont reply straight away I usually forget.
G-man
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

Post by G-man »

Sound as reliable as me haha.

I sent 1 out to someone else, ended up finding there website and contacted that way, seemed to work. Ended up deleting my 'sent' message.

Well I deleted my account on that forum. I do not like the idea of privacy being invaded, especially if there acting like spies in regards to this website. Sounds to me some people need to grow up to be honest.

Thanks all!

Problems fixed... (if there was any to begin with)
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

G-man, the PM's are not like emails where the email are actually sent from server to server.
Here the PMs just move around in our database.. they don't actually go anywhere. The boys are right.
The PM will show in the "outbox" until the person reads it, then it will show in the "sent" area.

We definitely do not read PM's. No need to... we don't care if people talk about another website here.

And if someone is calling me a prick in PM to someone else, that's fine too. I know I'm a prick.
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

hybrid wrote:
And if someone is calling me a prick in PM to someone else, that's fine too. I know I'm a prick.
:fap: Actually we are all pricks here, that is the whole reason this place got going ...... :outtahere:
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet