Tim's 1968 J Code Hardtop

Create your project threads here if you prefer to keep them out of the regular forums

Moderator: Moderators

tim_morrison82
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Tim's 1968 J Code Hardtop

Post by tim_morrison82 »

I bought my 68 Coupe off ebay back in March 2008 but have had little money to work on it as i have ahad a rough time in and out of work.
Plan is to restore this car back to its original glory. i have an Elite Marti report which looks great, and i am using it to find out exactly how incorrect the car is.

Originally a J code (302w 4v) what i got was a 302 2v with 74 block, 87 heads and 67 intake manifold. (purchased date correct motor from bulletin board on mustangs plus website March 2010)

Originally a W axle (3.00 ratio) what i got was a early 67 2.79 (cleaned up the tag to find this on the 11/9/10)

Originally Front Bench Seat what i got was 2 69-70 high back seats (purchased 68 bench seat from ebay US September 2009.)

Originally straight chassis - what i got... Damage to the left and right front rails, warped engine bay, damaged RH shock tower, Damaged rear RH rail at wheel arch (new discovery 11/9/10 as i was removing Axle tag)

Lots of other bits and pieces that are missing and or need replacing...
Sheet metal work everything forward of the firewall. Rear rail RHS (found 11/9/10). Possible rear RHS quarter panel, possible tail light panel. Possibly need new trunk lid.
Need to buy - Under hood visibility option light. AM Radio. Rear vision mirror. Black Carpet. Black Dash. Parchment hood lining. Parchment door trims. Window winders. Parchment Front Bench Uphostery Kit. New rubbers, gromets, stainless trim. New paint! 5 stock standard 14 inch rims

Need to restore original Parchment 2 spoke steering wheel, and a set of Deluxe hubcaps.

Wiring needs attention. need new blinker switch.

The list goes on....
Last edited by tim_morrison82 on Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dreaming the dream... Living the reality...
tim_morrison82
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Re: Tim's 1968 J Code Hardtop

Post by tim_morrison82 »

Last edited by tim_morrison82 on Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dynamic
Living the Mustang Dream
Living the Mustang Dream

Post by Dynamic »

good to see another brave sole taking on a project car to restore! :thumbs:
hopefully you can get a job in W.A and stay put
Pete
Mustang Project:
http://dynamicstang.blogspot.com
tim_morrison82
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by tim_morrison82 »

i'll be sticking around here for a while now my wife has a job at Perth Zoo.

might have to swing around tomorrow. you are only 5 mins away max.
Dynamic
Living the Mustang Dream
Living the Mustang Dream

Post by Dynamic »

ah thats good news then. Yeah I sent my adress and details via MOCA website PM. Just let us know I may or may not be around tomorrow arvo, depends how much work I get done on these some assignments tonight :argh:
Pete
Mustang Project:
ponyride
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by ponyride »

Good to see the old girl on the forum Tim. Here's hoping you get the work side of things sorted soon and we can watch the transformation of the car taking place.
Rick.

Old things amuse all minds.
mikes68
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by mikes68 »

ponyride wrote:Good to see the old girl on the forum Tim. Here's hoping you get the work side of things sorted soon and we can watch the transformation of the car taking place.
+1 from me Tim...
Fifty Years Afloat

We can't alter the direction of the wind,
But we can adjust our sails
tim_morrison82
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by tim_morrison82 »

i hope to get over this hump. its been ridiculously hard!

wish things were back the way they were 2 years ago...
Dynamic
Living the Mustang Dream
Living the Mustang Dream

Post by Dynamic »

“What you need to know about the past is that no matter what has happened, it has all worked together to bring you to this very moment. And this is the moment you can choose to make everything new. Right now.”

hang in there Tim life throws us all sorts of up's and down's
Pete
Mustang Project:
scott66stang
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by scott66stang »

Dynamic wrote:“What you need to know about the past is that no matter what has happened, it has all worked together to bring you to this very moment. And this is the moment you can choose to make everything new. Right now.”

hang in there Tim life throws us all sorts of up's and down's
well said .
Hey Tim , glad to see your build thread started. You got heaps of support on here and dont need any more encouragement from me . But ill give it to ya anyway .
Just move on any way you can, wether it a snail pace or .... well you know what i mean.
Look at all of my project cars i have , i brought all of them when i had more money than i had time to build them and because i have some sought of sick obsession or addiction.
Over the last 6 months i have had more time, less money but luckily the parts i purchaced earlier so was able to carry on , i also had to sell the wifes car to finance them. So have been going flat out building before i loose time again.
Now because of my job at home and a recent addition , my builds have just stopped for at least a month anyway, it is real frustrating when i feel i am so close , but shit happens hey! Its just time and your still young :thumbs:
tim_morrison82
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by tim_morrison82 »

The Mustang is great, but the crap i'm dealing with is much more than that at the moment. Even with money i would be taking it slow. But yeah that everything I've done has got me to where i am, the wife had a decent stab at me the other day saying i am selfish, which is somewhat true as far as the mustang goes, but then i was blamed for loosing my job, buying our huge house, and everything else that has gone wrong. I was pissed that everytime i brought up the future she'd rear up and say its never gonna change. She had no hope for the future. And that really ripped my insides out. I went to that meeting hollow. Since then we have spoken and we are on good terms again and building our selves back up. We are looking at renting out some rooms for some extra cash, and selling all the stuff that we don't use anymore. Its hard to remember that before the gfc hit, we were earning 150k between us, and right now, we are trying to survive the month with what savings we have left, and if it goes beyond that, we are royally screwed. So the mustang even though i am trying to keep myself occupied on it, its the least of my worries... But finding out i have a 900 bill and finding more incorrect stuff on my car, its not helping. Cheers for the support. I'm gonna need as much as i can get.
TimR67
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by TimR67 »

Ive had a few issues over the 12 years that i have been building my stang. Personal, health financial and relationship problems. Ive thought about selling my stang a few times over the years, selling the Mrs, burning the stang etc. Ive got into a bit of trouble with the Mrs and kids at times for spending too much money and time on the stang. I developed a number of coping strategies over the years, the idea is to be happy healthy and at peace with the family. My stang is very much a part of me I could never bear to part with it but if the shit hit the fan finanially it would probably get sold. The best thing to do when you havnt got the funds to keep going is cover the friggin thing up and forget about it for a while or do things to it that dont invovle spending (stripping paint etc) im sort of in that position at the moment as the Mrs has halted funding.
Keep your chin up,
eri67
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by eri67 »

Hard times for us all old boy, stick with the program, may have to learn to be more flexible with the stang, maybe this car isn't meant o be concourse correct at least at the moment, why not work with what you can get easily whilst collecting date coded bits and pieces over time, the perfect type of car is one like that 70 mach 1 at kerrys, for the concourse route, all original etc, any other way is like pushing sh!7 uphill, if you dont get a bit more flexible you are going to do tour head in, ive been there, trust me, not with cars but with vintage guitars, but the same dif.

Josh
Supposed to have sold the stang and moved on, but cant keep away from this place or my stang for that matter!!! ever tried to sell your left nut?
tim_morrison82
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by tim_morrison82 »

yep, i am feeling like this shell was saved from a car yard and they just put a driveline in it to complete it then shipped it off to aus then ebay...

i am now flexible, and will collect and replace parts along the way that make it date correct. get the body work fixed up, and get the beast on the road! thats the plan now.

just wished i wasn't so hung up about finding the right engine, then having to spend a shiteload on it once it gets here. anyway, lets just do it, and move on.

to build it the way it came off the production line, i just need to find a 3.00 diff. i do have a C4. and now a 302w 4v. the dates might not be 100% but the parts are. i'm not worried about looking for a diff yet, until i get everything else done.
JC074
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by JC074 »

Keep the faith Tim!

Remember the awesome weding day we all had - and the ride in the stangs? It was superb!

You were the happiest of happy - and that's what owning and driving a stang is all about my friend!...doesn't matter how good or bad your day has been....just walking along side your car (in whateva condish its in) will definately put a smile on ya face! Let alone driving it!

We're all here big fella for each other - thats what makes us mates..... and Mustang Men!

Rock on brother

JC
Im Back!