XF Ute - To be injected with a V8

Non-Mustang related Projects

Moderator: Moderators

Shayne93
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

XF Ute - To be injected with a V8

Post by Shayne93 »

I thought I'd pop a little thread up on my side project.

It's a March 93 XF Falcon ute, was owned by the Hermit Park Hotel for a fair swag of its life, so I'm sure it's seen a bit of grog.

I paid $200 for it off a bloke down the road, head was removed and bores were all rusted out. It had been sitting in his yard for 4 odd years.

I'm planning on putting the V8, BTR Trans and all the wiring out of my NC Fairlane V8 into it, painting it yellow and put a set of wheels on it. A little bit of a tidy cruising ute.

I haven't got many pics lately, or at all but here's a few

Was filthy from sitting!!!

Pulled the motor and box out. Will eventually scrap the motor with a car going to the tip but I will keep the T5.

Put to bed for now.

The bonnet was stuffed and the right front guard was dodgie, considering the left was an XG guard, I got a right XG guard for it and another bonnet which is rust free.
The cab floor has a tiny bit of rust on the drivers side, 50c piece size.
There is some in the tub, on that panel between the headboard and fuel tank cover, I have already got a new piece folded up to go in there.

I start uni holidays next week so I plan to get back into it.
I will probably also put the fairlane climate control unit in aswell as it is R134a and this ute was one of the last R12 cars, and it had no A/C gas in it, seems typical with anything on R12 haha!
1966 Ford Mustang Coupe... [Build in progress]
gbx78
Mustang King
Mustang King

Re: XF Ute - To be injected with a V8

Post by gbx78 »

Go an 87 LTD bonnet and grill .. i LOVE that look.. nice polished up grill. The XD i used to have had the earlier model LTD grill .. i personally prefer the later model (87) grill.
'You can never test fire too many times.' - Hybrid

'You can never have too many gauges' -
Boofhead
scott66stang
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by scott66stang »

gbx78 wrote:Go an 87 LTD bonnet and grill .. i LOVE that look.. nice polished up grill. The XD i used to have had the earlier model LTD grill .. i personally prefer the later model (87) grill.
I agree that does look good, i just cant believe a XF is now considered old skool even by me... now that they are 20+ years old.
I put a XF efi 6cyl (first unleaded motor)and T5 into a XW ute around 15 years ago and that would of been an outragous restomod at the time. :lol:
nassi
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by nassi »

scott66stang wrote:
gbx78 wrote:Go an 87 LTD bonnet and grill .. i LOVE that look.. nice polished up grill. The XD i used to have had the earlier model LTD grill .. i personally prefer the later model (87) grill.
I agree that does look good, i just cant believe a XF is now considered old skool even by me... now that they are 20+ years old.
I put a XF efi 6cyl (first unleaded motor)and T5 into a XW ute around 15 years ago and that would of been an outragous restomod at the time. :lol:
and still would be 8O
Shayne93
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Shayne93 »

I'm not a big fan of the fairlane/LTD look ay, and they're difficult to get now, like XD or XE fronts, in which case, I'd love an earlier front on there.
I think for now though I will go with an XG grill as I prefer it over the XF grill.
gbx78
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by gbx78 »

i guess depends on the look you are after.. i must admit being an "XD" fan myself.. i do love a lowered squarish look of an XD specially with a nice set of B45 simmons :D .. the XF front just does nothin in the terms of the "muscle look"
'You can never test fire too many times.' - Hybrid

'You can never have too many gauges' -
Boofhead
Shayne93
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Shayne93 »

You're right. XF is too new, technically they built it from 84 to 96 if you count the XG which is basically the same.
I think fronts are the least of my drama :p
I have to get the v8 and trans in there and running somehow
soc123_au
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by soc123_au »

scott66stang wrote:
Great minds & all that shit. I did similar, all the XF gear in my XY back in 1989. That was one of its earlier incarnations. It went well too.
gbx78
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by gbx78 »

Shayne93 wrote:You're right. XF is too new, technically they built it from 84 to 96 if you count the XG which is basically the same.
I think fronts are the least of my drama :p
I have to get the v8 and trans in there and running somehow

i reckon thats the easy part!!

an issue i came across when i contemplated putting a digital dash in the XD (i was basically taking an 87 ltd interior and front and dropping it in the XD, i didnt like the extra length the fairlanes/Ltd's had and being non-v8 i figured an XD was a good base underneath) ... was finding someone to calibrate the tacho/speedo for a V8 .. perhaps these days its easy. i couldnt find anyone back in the day
Shayne93
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Shayne93 »

I'm using the NC cluster via an XG cluster bracket.
I like the XF dash and it's grey which is a plus.
NC lane seats bolt straight in too :)
gbx78
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by gbx78 »

Shayne93 wrote:I'm using the NC cluster via an XG cluster bracket.
I like the XF dash and it's grey which is a plus.
NC lane seats bolt straight in too :)
problem solved then!! .. well ...get started!! :D
soc123_au
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by soc123_au »

You can stick the XF Fairmont Ghia/LTD digital cluster straight in. I put the digital cluster in the XY (It was running the dash & wiring harness out of the donor XF) When I put the 351 in I just used the sensors out of the 6. I had to get an adaptor for the oil pressure switch from memory. Everything else just worked, even the speedo & Tach
gbx78
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by gbx78 »

soc123_au wrote:You can stick the XF Fairmont Ghia/LTD digital cluster straight in. I put the digital cluster in the XY (It was running the dash & wiring harness out of the donor XF) When I put the 351 in I just used the sensors out of the 6. I had to get an adaptor for the oil pressure switch from memory. Everything else just worked, even the speedo & Tach
oh .. then ignore my rambling .. i was only in my teens at the time and didnt know .. there was no internet back then!
goldscode
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by goldscode »

I remember those days , shit i lost a lot of pidgeons back then !!!
gbx78
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by gbx78 »

goldscode wrote:I remember those days , shit i lost a lot of pidgeons back then !!!
:rotfl: