Shayne's 66 Coupe

Create your project threads here if you prefer to keep them out of the regular forums

Moderator: Moderators

Shayne93
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Shayne's 66 Coupe

Post by Shayne93 »

This is my 66 Mustang, in Massechusetts when I bought it. $3000US, seemed a bargain, has rust in the bottom of the left quarter and the right door and some "Small holes" in the front floors, alledgedly 3 finger wide.. It wasnt too bad, but bigger than what they said, little did I know the rust in the quarter was the easy bit, the other one has been replaced after an accident and the rear end didnt line up well.

(July 2009) - I thought I was the deadliest kid, having a 66 Mustang at 15
It was a 200 6 cylinder with a C4.

It's now September 2010, the motor and trans were binned, its stripped out and getting "sandblasted" at the moment. I am using a 93 EFI V8 Fairlane as a donor car, using the Motor, 4sp auto and the LSD, as well as all the wiring.

The plan is to keep it LHD as I am in Qld, I was going to use the Mustang II front end but it is suggested that it is a bad idea as it removes the shock towers, reducing the strength of the car, so now I am more leaning toward stock suspension and modified Falcon stubs. Not sure whether to go power rack and pinion or just keep the box setup.

On the to do list is as far as repairs
Repair front floors
Replace radiator support and batter inner apron
Get new right door
Replace left rear quarter, rear beaver and boot floors, possibly right rear quarter to get the lot to line up

In the end, I want the car Mellow Yellow, having the bells and whistles such as electric windows and air conditioning.

I will keep you posted on how I am progressing, I also picked up a free EA falcon to cut the floor out of for patches and the likes
Dynamic
Living the Mustang Dream
Living the Mustang Dream

Re: Shayne's 66 Coupe

Post by Dynamic »

wait so your only 16 now? nice going and good to see you are well prepared and planned for
Pete
Mustang Project:
http://dynamicstang.blogspot.com
Shayne93
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Shayne93 »

I'm actually 17 now, birthday is 5th of August and I bought it July 2009. At the rate I'm going, I won't be able to drive a V8 legally till December 2013, but what the hell, if its done before then, Dad can drive :)
1966 Ford Mustang Coupe... [Build in progress]
LEEH69
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by LEEH69 »

ooohh can I be yer DADDY :thumbs:
Dynamic
Living the Mustang Dream
Living the Mustang Dream

Post by Dynamic »

Shayne93 wrote:I'm actually 17 now, birthday is 5th of August and I bought it July 2009. At the rate I'm going, I won't be able to drive a V8 legally till December 2013, but what the hell, if its done before then, Dad can drive :)
congrats man im only 23 and thought i was young to have a mustang since the other members are well a little older :rotfl: :poke: going to leave it at that before i feel the backlash :outtahere:
Pete
Mustang Project:
http://dynamicstang.blogspot.com
Kosa
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

Post by Kosa »

Dynamic wrote:
Shayne93 wrote:I'm actually 17 now, birthday is 5th of August and I bought it July 2009. At the rate I'm going, I won't be able to drive a V8 legally till December 2013, but what the hell, if its done before then, Dad can drive :)
congrats man im only 23 and thought i was young to have a mustang since the other members are well a little older :rotfl: :poke: going to leave it at that before i feel the backlash :outtahere:
lol probably better Dynamic. yer mate good on ya, i just made 20yrs on the 12 sept and mines still a rusty mess only just started to tear it apart to be honest and iv had it in aus since july. will be interesting to see ur progress, post heaps of pic!

cheers
Shayne93
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Shayne93 »

April 2010
Pulled the front end panels off, the outer cowl is much much better than I thought. Very solid :)

nassi
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by nassi »

Dynamic wrote:
We are watching............. :moon: :rotfl:
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

I was thinking I was fairly young for a Mustang owner too, but I forget how old I am... still a big kid :mrgreen:

Congrats Shane.. its a long road ahead, but well worth it!
Shayne93
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Shayne93 »

Pulled apart the EA 6 cylinder today for some mock up bits, got the pedal box, master and booster and the air con unit.

Even though the 6 cylinder uses a different booster to the V8, I can still mock up with it. I'm not sure if I will use the falcon air con unit as it is very large, and im not sure if I can retro fit cables to some of the vacuum actuators on the unit. I may use a smaller air con unit out of something else. But I havn't made a decision as yet.
Shayne93
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Shayne93 »

I have decided I will use this air con unit

Its a heater an aircon, I will use the original heater controls in the mustang to control the unit.
scott66stang
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by scott66stang »

Great conversion Shayne , mixing the old with the new. :thumbs:
Have you seen my Fairstang Project also using the 93 NC Fairlane donor car ? Might give you some ideas. I have shown how to fit the brakebooster on the LHD 66 mustang and test drove it, the 6 cyl one will fit just , but the mounting holes will need moving across to the rh side slightly so that it clears the bonnet hinge. Also i modified the firewall on the RHD conversion to use the full climate control air con. You can fit most of it under there without modding the firewall on a RHD but you will proberly have to cut the dash and it will stick out too much and sit low into the foot area. Dont know about LHD. That aircon unit you show above will be a much easier and good option.

http://www.mustangtech.com.au/index.php
name=Forumsviewtopic.php?t=274

Also TimR67 is doing the conversion atm on his Convertible
http://www.mustangtech.com.au//viewtopic.php?t=83
Shayne93
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Shayne93 »

Yeah I have been watching yours and tims thread. I might see if I can pull the booster and M/C of the Fairlane, I'm just a bit reluctant too as the car is in 1 piece as such and not at home :(
I was a bit reluctant to use all the vaccum controls from the ford air cons as they will be the first things to break and possibly a real pain to replace. Hopefully by Christmas I can really start getting some real work done, panel replacement and rust repair still need to be done.
Shayne93
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Shayne93 »

25 Sept 2010
The rotissery for the car is almost finished, will have the car spinning on it on Monday.

We hosed all the garnett and rubbish out of it from my sand blasting attempt.

Heres the car before we finished the rotissery hosed it out...
Last edited by Shayne93 on Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ChilliChadd
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by ChilliChadd »

Nice work Shayne
Chadd

_______________COUPDUP_______________