Marti Autoworks Museum

Discussion of upcoming events in the Events Calendar

Moderator: Moderators

ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Marti Autoworks Museum

Post by ozbilt »

Kevin & Shelly Marti opened their Museum today (Thursday 17th Jan 2013).

I was flying over for the opening but a few things conspired against it. Sean (BossKraft) & Lance (muzz67) flew over & attended the event. You can see Sean's 65 Shelby in a few pics along with his "survivor" 68 fastback on the lift .......

Kevin & Shelly Marti with George Follmer

Certainly worth a visit if you are ever in the Phoenix area of Arizona :like:

Edited because I put a 67 instead of a 68. Had 67's on my mind that evening, as I had been posting about the "noback", not an excuse though, as I should not be making mistakes ...... ;)
Last edited by ozbilt on Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet
mwizz
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Re: Marti Autoworks Museum

Post by mwizz »

Excellent news. What is the range of stuff that Kevin has on display at the museum Kerry?
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

mwizz wrote:Excellent news. What is the range of stuff that Kevin has on display at the museum Kerry?
I believe some very obscure stuff that you will not see anywhere else.

With a little luck I can get over there & help finish a few of Kevin's projects that he has had going forever. He has some very nice Cougars including a 67 convertible. Yes they never made one, but Kevin did & it is correct down to date codes. Actually it is that car that started the conversation when we first met them. We have been great friends since that event back in 1992.
Kerry

mwizz
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by mwizz »

I found an article of an interview with Kevin Marti from Mustang Monthly back in 2008. He tells the story of how he got into Fords when he bought his first car, a 67 Cougar, while actually looking for either a Camaro or Chevelle. It is a good read. It also mentions a museum that never ended up happening but appears to have now happened. The article is here:

http://www.mustangmonthly.com/featuredv ... ewall.html
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

The Museum he talks about in the article is the Mustang Museum that was backed by Ford & the MCA. Kevin was the president of that committee. I believe the Firestone fiasco put paid to the Museum as Ford kept the funds to fight the possible court battles. Not long after that we had the GFC, so it was put to rest.

I now wonder if the idea of a Mustang Museum will come back up during the 50th celebrations .......
Kerry

ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

mwizz wrote:I found an article of an interview with Kevin Marti from Mustang Monthly back in 2008. He tells the story of how he got into Fords when he bought his first car, a 67 Cougar, while actually looking for either a Camaro or Chevelle.
Kevin told that story at the dinner of the Boss Nationals a couple of years back in Port Macquarie. Quite amusing to think he almost went to the Dark Side.
Kerry

ponyride
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by ponyride »

Now that would be a museum worth visiting.
Rick.

Old things amuse all minds.
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by boofhead »

A 67 Cougar - well it is a very good choice. I can only have the greatest respect for someone with such a car. Then again I might be biased.
I will someday think of something clever to say.
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

Kerry

Troy_H
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

Post by Troy_H »

Corporates generally aren't overly nostalgic, so i couldnt imagine Ford funding a museum unless it was to drive the current branding. Just need to look at the way Ford get in and out of motor racing.

Takes these sort of guys to lay down their own cash. Looks like a good spot to visit, Phoenix is supposed to be a great place so ill put it on the list.
Faststangfan
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Faststangfan »

Could this be a possible visit site for the 50th anniversery tour in April 2014?
Living the dream.
1969 Mach 1 351c
1970 Fastback 302w
1971 Fastback 351c
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

Faststangfan wrote:Could this be a possible visit site for the 50th anniversery tour in April 2014?
Yes
Kerry

mert
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by mert »

I hope they realize the "survivor 67" on the lift is actually a '68? ;-)

Might drop in sometime around May/June on a road trip I'm taking in the area...
8R01S
8R03S-GT
8F01X -EXP500 Repli-bute
8R01C-Cal Special
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

mert wrote:I hope they realize the "survivor 67" on the lift is actually a '68? ;-)
They know the correct year as that is Sean's car. Just a typo as happens to all of us here.

I often go through posts & correct spelling, dates, etc.

Another example is above, you are using American spelling & terminology (as I do), not Australian, I leave those cases alone ..... :lol:
Kerry

ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

ozbilt wrote:
mert wrote:I hope they realize the "survivor 67" on the lift is actually a '68? ;-)
They know the correct year as that is Sean's car. Just a typo as happens to all of us here. That was my bad ...... ;)

I often go through posts & correct spelling, dates, etc. Should do more of my own ....

Another example is above, you are using American spelling & terminology (as I do), not Australian, I leave those cases alone ..... :lol:
Kerry