Paint Procedures both 1k (Acrylic) and 2k (2Pak)

Need help on paint, paint prep, welding, engines etc?

Moderator: Moderators

muzz67
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Paint Procedures both 1k (Acrylic) and 2k (2Pak)

Post by muzz67 »

:bash: Over the next few weeks I will be placing Painting Tips in this section, starting from the basics of prep to completion of re-paints. After 44 years of working in the Automotive Industry (23 in the Refinish Segment) Along with carrying out Warranty inspections for OEM's I am fairly well qualified.

A word of notice though, I will only give you the most appropriate methods and OHS advice for doing a job the correct way. Short cuts in paint and prep lead to nightmares somewhere down your winding road to enjoyment.

Cheers
Lance
Muzz67
Experience is a great school, but the fees come high!
Kosa
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

Re: Paint Procedures both 1k (Acrylic) and 2k (2Pak)

Post by Kosa »

kool, looking forward to it :-D
mikes68
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by mikes68 »

Good timing for me Lance... hoping to be moving into this stage in the not too distant future.
Fifty Years Afloat

We can't alter the direction of the wind,
But we can adjust our sails
muzz67
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by muzz67 »

Howdy All,
Just to keep you informed I am working on these items starting with how to identify the paint substrate you are working with, then Acrylic and 2 pak spot repairs, then the Painting procedure for 'new or repo panels. Then the procedure for bare metal prep.

If there are others you would like any info on post them on this thread and I will work through them for you.

I have also asked the administrators if we can set up a sort of 'Techo Library' where we can all place and review pure tech data without posts! saves a lot of reading unrelated posts and being able to get straight to the real data! Thoughts please!

Cheers
Muzz67
Muzz67
S[_]SPECT
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by S[_]SPECT »

muzz67 wrote:Howdy All,

I have also asked the administrators if we can set up a sort of 'Techo Library' where we can all place and review pure tech data without posts! saves a lot of reading unrelated posts and being able to get straight to the real data! Thoughts please!

Cheers
Muzz67
I like the idea of a Tech Library ...
I'm thinking postings should be submitted for review/approval and automatically locked so they are :
A) Accurate (to possibly a higher degree) due to review process
B) Only have the relevant information due to no additional posting

Could possibly require a sister discussion section so discrepancies can be raised / agreed upon.. and additional info supplied by those that have it, but didnt submit the article... (if you know what I mean)

It would save a heap of "Hi guys, new to the forum.. Does anyone have any info on <insert common question here>" further down the track.

As it is I am currently trying to collect as much accruate info as I can on the XF brake upgrade, and document the process from go to whoa for the same reason. Not that I have any relevant experience.. just that I will be doing it, and in researching it, I have found conflicting information. So hoping to provide a more informed picture for others...
Cheers,
Birchy...
Dodgy Bros. Customs

Suspect 67 - http://www.mustangtech.com.au/Forums/vi ... /t=52.html
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

Have been thinking about this fellas.
I think rather than having these articles in the forum, we should make it a part of the main website. The contributors to this section would have the ability to admin that section of the website.
Doing it this way will mean that we don't have to worry about locking threads or anything like that because there will be no method of replying to the article.
My thoughts are that we could create a discussion thread in this forum for each of the articles, then link to the thread in the article so that if anyone wants to ask about a particular article it can be done in the forums, but the article itself always remains in tact and perfectly readable.

Also, there would be a link to this section in the main menu on the left hand side. We could call it the "The Workshop", or the "Tech Shop" or something equally as fruity :lol:

Thoughts?
scott66stang
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by scott66stang »

hybrid wrote:Have been thinking about this fellas.
I think rather than having these articles in the forum, we should make it a part of the main website. The contributors to this section would have the ability to admin that section of the website.
Doing it this way will mean that we don't have to worry about locking threads or anything like that because there will be no method of replying to the article.
My thoughts are that we could create a discussion thread in this forum for each of the articles, then link to the thread in the article so that if anyone wants to ask about a particular article it can be done in the forums, but the article itself always remains in tact and perfectly readable.

Also, there would be a link to this section in the main menu on the left hand side. We could call it the "The Workshop", or the "Tech Shop" or something equally as fruity :lol:

Thoughts?
Holy Shitzes your good :thumbs:
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

Ok, I have installed the module now.. you'll notice a "Tech Shop" (name can be changed easily) in the main menu now, and also a block in the top right hand corner that lists the categories and articles. I've created a quick test article to give a small idea of what can be done.

There is also another possibility on the cards from Foresight who is working on something as well. Just waiting for details on his idea. So one way or another, we should have something pretty cool.
S[_]SPECT
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by S[_]SPECT »

Good job Jeff...
I like the one on the right. Main menu is busy enough as it is for me..
Cheers,
Birchy...
Dodgy Bros. Customs

Suspect 67 - http://www.mustangtech.com.au/Forums/vi ... /t=52.html
muzz67
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by muzz67 »

Great set up Jeff, I am with Suspect the one on the right seems easier!
Cheers
Lance
Muzz67
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

Yeah the block on the right will stay, as will the main menu link.

I use the main menu all the time, but that's because I'm used to the interface as I've been using this CMS for years.

Lance, I'll set you up an admin account so you can have a play around with it yourself.

Edit: Lance, I've sent you details on logging in to admin the tech shop section. Have a play around and don't be scared.. anything you do can be reversed :mrgreen:
MustangMedic
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by MustangMedic »

Jeff, a dumb question but i'll ask it. Can this area include photos of items or parts and how they fit, eg window seals,door cards etc.
Always had the fear I'll break something and then create a dominoe effect, therfore turning a simple job by an experienced owner into a monster for a newbie. Its these little issues I think that would help support the enthusiasim for people to play.
Cheers.
Medic
(Always work smarter not harder!!!)
67 C Code coupe
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

The area can really contain anything.
Pictures and instructions on how something fits is definitely doable.
You'll see in the example document I've created that I've inserted a pic.
MustangMedic
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by MustangMedic »

Must have missed the layout when I was reading the previous discussion. Looks good, IMHO this will be a winner.
Cheers.
Medic
(Always work smarter not harder!!!)
67 C Code coupe
mikes68
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by mikes68 »

:thumbs: Great idea Jeff....
Fifty Years Afloat

We can't alter the direction of the wind,
But we can adjust our sails