Phil's 65 Fastback

Create your project threads here if you prefer to keep them out of the regular forums

Moderator: Moderators

phil65
Baby Mustang
Baby Mustang

Phil's 65 Fastback

Post by phil65 »

Well Shes finally arrived after a long wait believe it or not its even better than I imagined. My plan for the car is not so much a resto as a modernization as I was lucky enough to get a car in good condition. Florida car sourced by Matt. Im generally more of a reader than a poster but I thought id start a thread outline my grand plan and get some help from people who have already made some of the mistakes that im going to make ( or perhaps already started making) Heres a couple of pics of picking her up at customs

It runs and handles way better than I expected for an old car and once I got the hang of left hand drive and stopped staring nervously at the temp gauge I grinned all the way home 600 km and didnt miss a beat what a beautifull machine. :)
mikes68
Mustang King
Mustang King

Re: Phil's 65 Fastback

Post by mikes68 »

Congrats Phil... so many of us know that grin you speak of - another one on the block in WA, good to see. Looks like you have a trunk full of parts there also - great looking ride.
Fifty Years Afloat

We can't alter the direction of the wind,
But we can adjust our sails
scott66stang
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by scott66stang »

Well done Phil , dont be shy i have lots of mistakes i can give you :-D And we would like lots of pics too.
phil65
Baby Mustang
Baby Mustang

Post by phil65 »

So the grand plan after after having to much time on my hands waiting for her arrival was as follows although its already gone a bit south.
1) get all the bits and pieces i need for rego so I can drive and enjoy. 2) safety. discs front and rear power steering rack front suspension and 3 point seatbelts. 4) engine. manifold, carb, cam, exhaust 9" dif 3.5 ish ratio depending on how the tuning goes 5.) touch up interior and any chrome needs doing 6) once ive got everything exactly how i want it strip it down do any required body work and paint. I give myself 3 - 5 years to completion. But ive already hit a snag at suspension. After hearing about some roadworthiness issues with US racks I made a rash decision and bought some RRS stuff I tend to get carried away sometimes. Anyway the problems are as follows. Maybe someone can help. Im told that for the rear brake kit they require the diff flange measurements and type fair enough then they tell me I should upgrade to a 9" diff before I tell them what I want. There arent many 52.25 inch diffs out there ive found out recently. only 5% of early mustangs had them apparently. Especially not with tapered ends. From what I can gather I should be able to source a 9" with the same flange and axle pattern as the 8 later and just swap the brakes over. Id prefer to keep the diff ratio 2.8 untill later but im unsure. I was also wondering if perhaps the weaker tapered axle in the 8" might not be strong enough with the more powerfull brakes. the only casing I can find in aus atm is $1000 on ebay wich seems a bit steep. Maybe ill have to chop one up and make something up to fit is that how people get around it ? this prob belongs in tech forums but anyway any info would be good. Thanks. Also if I get a diff without the narrow ends and bolt it in im guessing it would just change the rear end height a little and not affect the alignment of the diff to the tailshaft? Cheers
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

Awesome Phil, congrats!
derwin66
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

Post by derwin66 »

Its never finished, there will always be something to fix, modify and redo thats why its an addiction. LOL
65 T Code coupe\r\nBlown 302\r\nHeidts four link\r\nRRS Rack and Pinion\r\nC4 Gear vendors overdrive
1960 F100
S[_]SPECT
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by S[_]SPECT »

Looks good Phil, congrats.. but we need more photos mate.

Not sure what your saying about the 8" axles, from my understanding the 8" and 28 spline 9" axles are the same.
Its only if you switch to the 31 spline 9" that the axles are stronger.

$1000 AU for a housing is about right.. I am looking for a housing and havent found one any cheaper yet...
Got quoted $1750 locally for a new housing and axles (for 31 spline 9")

The brakes arent going to be too much for a 8" either.. most of the braking force is at the fronts...
Acceleration force is a different story though.. so you only really need to upgrade for engine mods, not brake mods.

either way, get it on the road as soon as... summer is upon us..
Cheers,
Birchy...
Dodgy Bros. Customs

Suspect 67 - http://www.mustangtech.com.au/Forums/vi ... /t=52.html
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

I wouldn't bother with a 9inch.
I'd get a posi-lock type diff centre for the 8-inch and it should be plenty strong enough.
jbrucem1
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by jbrucem1 »

how many horsies are you hoping for - maybe the 8 3/4' will be enough and you wont have to worry about chopping things up
shane427
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by shane427 »

Looks very nice mate, as others have said...more pics are a must :thumbs:

From the few pics above the paint looks smick, are there many issues up close?

What are your engine thoughts? assuming it's still got a 289, rear drums and existing diff should be plenty!!
cage
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by cage »

Well done Phil, she looks like a beauty. More pics, more pics, we love pics here Phil.
"The simple answer is, even if I have decided I still don't know what to do."
ChilliChadd
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by ChilliChadd »

Congrats Phil, she looks nice
Chadd

_______________COUPDUP_______________
phil65
Baby Mustang
Baby Mustang

Post by phil65 »

thanks guys to answer your questions paint looks great till about 5 metres theres some bubling and runs up close but thats okay my plan is performance before paint I only asked for paint that can handle a couple of years shell shine when im done. I think I will stay with the 8" I guess I just needed someone to agree with me its hard to get the right info sometimes. As to horsepower I think 300 ish should suit me its not gonna be a track car and I dont want to work it untill its unreliable so a rebuilt 8 should be okay i guess. And your right S[_]SPECT get it on the road for summer and worry about diffs and engines in the winter. Ill post some photos taken in the states when the weather improves a bit and I get things put back together Ill take some proper shots of the good and bad
Image Image
Image Image
[IMG]http://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/h4[IMG] [IMG]
phil65
Baby Mustang
Baby Mustang

Post by phil65 »

ImageImage
ImageImage
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

Looks really nice and clean mate! Awesome stuff.