Help me, i need an apprenticeship!

Need help on paint, paint prep, welding, engines etc?

Moderator: Moderators

Kosa
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

Help me, i need an apprenticeship!

Post by Kosa »

hey guys my time is running out to get an apprenticeship in panel beating. iv been going to places all round Newcastle and they all say they don't take apprenticeships or the ones that are only do insurance work.... im in dire need of help to find a shop that does private work/restoration aswell.

any help is appreciated, a shop like steve's would be awesome but i guess u can pick and choose all the time.... if u have any tips please share also :)

i would rather not be stuck doing insurence work for my whole apprenticeship ...

help me :(
shermatt
The Fatkid
The Fatkid

Re: Help me, i need an apprenticeship!

Post by shermatt »

Kosa wrote:hey guys my time is running out to get an apprenticeship in panel beating. iv been going to places all round Newcastle and they all say they don't take apprenticeships or the ones that are only do insurance work.... im in dire need of help to find a shop that does private work/restoration aswell.

any help is appreciated, a shop like steve's would be awesome but i guess u can pick and choose all the time.... if u have any tips please share also :)

i would rather not be stuck doing insurence work for my whole apprenticeship ...

help me :(
any good with power tools/chainsaws/gas axes?

Romeo has a opening at his Taco shop :)
Dynamic
Living the Mustang Dream
Living the Mustang Dream

Post by Dynamic »

i just finished my automotive apprenticeship last year and theres heaps of panel beater work over here in WA not really much help but before i started my apprenticeship i was working for 3 months washing cars and doing odd jobs for the company until i bugged them enough and showed enough enthusiasm to be taken on as an apprentice, might even need to do some work experience so to speak and show your willingness to learn and become a future apprentice for them.
good luck either way great trade to have
Pete
Mustang Project:
http://dynamicstang.blogspot.com
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

Kosa, the issue for you is probably "Newcastle", not much up that way.

I was fortunate back in the day to walk into a panelshop that did mainly race car work. That does not exist today, not many restoration shops either.

I would take on an apprenticeship in a shop doing insurance work, but while at TAFE pay attention to the older teachers & ask about making stuff. TAFE is still equipped with the old gear to hand form panels & the teachers still have those skills & love to show someone that is keen. Keenness & the ability to understand how metal behaves when worked, is what is needed to restore vehicles.

Next time you are venturing to Steve's shop, go the extra distance (another hour each way), come see my shop & I will explain further along with showing you the types of machinery needed in a restoration shop.
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet
soc123_au
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by soc123_au »

Kosa, you will learn a heap doing smash work that will put you in good stead for resto stuff. The only resto specific things you wont do a lot of in a normal panel shop is fabrication. In saying that you will still learn the required skills just over a number of different tasks. Idealy you want to work in a shop that does big hits, that way you get plenty of experience repairing structural areas of a car. When repairing or painting a car the process remains the same weather its a Mazda 6, Ferrari or Mustang. Its all just metal/plastic/fibreglass. There are areas in restoration that require a different skill set, but most of it is in the way you think & approach things.
Kosa
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

Post by Kosa »

wow thanks everyone for the input.

i went around to a couple more places today, talked to the managers, handed in resumes. didnt seem to productive though.. had an interview yesterday which went pretty well they where lookin for a panel beater.
this place is a big insurence joint and when we walked around there where some nasty BaNgS.

im so lost atm... i also applied for several mining apprenticeships and iv made it to the next stage in those to so my o-so-simple life is getting very complicated...
soc123_au
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by soc123_au »

If they gave you a tour of the shop they must be fairly keen on you. Whichever you choose mining\motor trade make sure it is what you really want to do. I don't know what the coin is like in the mining game but as a beater or painter you can earn a very good wage. It generally takes 10 years or so to get to the top end of the pay scale & you need to be very good to get there. You can also aim to one day own your own shop, if you are that way inclined which would be a bit hard in the mining game.
stu67
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by stu67 »

Not sure if they have an affiliate but the apprenticentre over here in WA helps place apprentices with work. There must be something similar over in NSW. Take a look...
http://www.trainingwa.wa.gov.au/apprent ... ms/portal/
jusTANG
PatCH the Platypus
PatCH the Platypus

Post by jusTANG »

do the one you like and then change if you get sick of it, i know heaps of guys that have a trade and dont use it or have two trades as they got board or didnt like being out in the weather.
know a couple of machanic's running supermarkets and electrical stores lol. its never to late to change
Cheers,
j
cage
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by cage »

Kosa, don't give up mate if you really want to be in the panel beating business then keep pursuing it. Keep knocking on doors and show your obvious enthusiasm. Here's a tip mate. Before you go into a shop to apply for a job do some quick research on them. If they have a web site jump on it and look around, it only takes a few minutes and then when you are talking to them let them know you have researched a bit and the particular shop is your target employer. This sort of stuff is impressive and may tip them over to hiring you. It's not going to hurt that's for sure.
I can guarantee you one thing Kosa, most guys of your age (and I am generalising here but I have experience in hiring GEN Y's) want to get to the top tomorrow and with out putting the hard work in. This is obviously not you and young people with your passion and drive are few and far between that are willing to put in the hard yards for success down the track. Keep going mate and maybe you may need to move to Sydney. Give me a call if you want a chat mate.
Goof luck Kosa
"The simple answer is, even if I have decided I still don't know what to do."
donoauto
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by donoauto »

Man , you might have to move. Sounds bad at 1st but there is a big wide world out there full of opportunity if you want it bad enough. Just remember , nothing is impossible , life is what YOU make of it. Good Luck in your search :)
(PRAYER) Oh thank you Wild Turkey American Honey & Cola in those small thin bottles, for giving me the strength to act like a half wit, and say stupid things at inappropriate times, semi-anonymously, on a public forum.
Amen.
S[_]SPECT
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by S[_]SPECT »

Kosa,
Not sure if this is still relevant today.. but when I was hiring, one of the agencies told me that 80% of jobs filled, are not advertised.. and 80% of job seekers apply for the ones that are.
I've had numerous jobs that were not advertised.. by walking in off the street with the right attitude (at the right time I guess)
And my current one.. I didnt even apply for.. they rang me..
So my only advice is.. what ever you do, do what you enjoy, and strive to be the best at it..
Keep pluggin at it mate, and you'll find something.
Cheers,
Birchy...
Dodgy Bros. Customs

Suspect 67 - http://www.mustangtech.com.au/Forums/vi ... /t=52.html
Kosa
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

Post by Kosa »

Thanks for all of your support guys. i really have to decide what "I" want... im gonna do some more research tomorrow and see what happens. it really sucks when all my plans A,B and C start becoming coming more and more interesting... how ever i do know this, what ever i end up doing i will be the best at it :)
Dynamic
Living the Mustang Dream
Living the Mustang Dream

Post by Dynamic »

thats the attitude man, i finished my apprenticeship last year as a mechanic and stopped enjoying what i did halfway through stuck it out and finished got my ticket im now doing biomedical science completely different field the point is you to are still young and can do whatever you want
Pete
Mustang Project:
http://dynamicstang.blogspot.com
eri67
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by eri67 »

Man, I never thought I would be a sparky, I set out to be the biggest rock star, see 1994....mum was so proud

Supposed to have sold the stang and moved on, but cant keep away from this place or my stang for that matter!!! ever tried to sell your left nut?