Technical Discussion on Pre-1973 Mustangs

Moderator: Moderators

rock66
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Random Questions

Post by rock66 »

Trying to sought a few small details.
Are there gaskets behind the key locks on the doors?
Are the door seals glued on,and if so what glue do I use?
Cheers Rock.
nassi
Mustang King
Mustang King

Re: Random Questions

Post by nassi »

Hi Rock, no gasket behind the lock.
Yes the door rubbers are glued on. You can get specific rubber adhesives from many places but I use contact cement. Be sure to give the rubbers a good clean with thinners first to remove all the releasing agent.
xpconnor
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by xpconnor »

While on the topic of gaskets does anyone use these for the quarter extension. Never even new they existed until recently.

http://www.mustangsplus.com/xcart/1965- ... Seals.html
"The Mustang is full of Awesome"
mikes68
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by mikes68 »

xpconnor wrote:While on the topic of gaskets does anyone use these for the quarter extension. Never even new they existed until recently.

ABSOLUTELY!

Hope that helps ;)
Fifty Years Afloat

We can't alter the direction of the wind,
But we can adjust our sails
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

xpconnor wrote:While on the topic of gaskets does anyone use these for the quarter extension. Never even new they existed until recently.

If you do NOT use them, you will knock paint off.
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet
xpconnor
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by xpconnor »

I see the same site has them for the front fender extensions of 67-70 cars. Can these be modified to use on 65-66 or do you get away without them on the front of early cars.
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

xpconnor wrote:I see the same site has them for the front fender extensions of 67-70 cars. Can these be modified to use on 65-66 or do you get away without them on the front of early cars.
You can tell if your car should have them by looking at the die cast pieces (headlamp bucket or 1/4 extensions). If they take the rubber, they will have a groove around the edge, if only a single thickness around the edge, then they do not take the rubber.
Kerry

xpconnor
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by xpconnor »

I will have a closer look next time I am working on the car. Thanks for the info.

Rock you can have your thread back now.
Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Shaunp »

My 67 had none in the front but they were in the rear, I don't think they were ever there by the look, I fitted some and couldn't get good fit to the guard they seemed too big, the extension kept sliding side ways. I was thinking of tacking washers on the guard to try and hold the bucket where it needs to be, the other Idea I had was to sika the bucket on then tighten the nuts later.
scott66stang
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by scott66stang »

My 66 didnt have any on the fender/ headlight bucket, but i wish it did have.
Warning!! dont try and push the car from these areas mine moved and chipped the paint.
xpconnor
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by xpconnor »

I wonder if you could use something like this foam tape just to stop the steel on steel rubbing that can chip the paint. It compresses to basically nothing but might provide just enough gap.

http://embossingtapesupplies.com.au/sin ... tapes.html
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

Shaunp wrote:My 67 had none in the front but they were in the rear, I don't think they were ever there by the look, I fitted some and couldn't get good fit to the guard they seemed too big, the extension kept sliding side ways. I was thinking of tacking washers on the guard to try and hold the bucket where it needs to be, the other Idea I had was to sika the bucket on then tighten the nuts later.
Tacking washers is what I do to both front & rears. Even Q has had that mod ..... ;)
Kerry

Hawko
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Hawko »

ozbilt wrote:
xpconnor wrote:I see the same site has them for the front fender extensions of 67-70 cars. Can these be modified to use on 65-66 or do you get away without them on the front of early cars.
You can tell if your car should have them by looking at the die cast pieces (headlamp bucket or 1/4 extensions). If they take the rubber, they will have a groove around the edge, if only a single thickness around the edge, then they do not take the rubber.
I had a look at my 1/4 extensions today and I have 1 of each. So with the 1 without the groove do I use a washer to pack it out?
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

Hawko wrote:
ozbilt wrote:
I had a look at my 1/4 extensions today and I have 1 of each. So with the 1 without the groove do I use a washer to pack it out?
Good idea if you cannot find one that has the groove.
Kerry

67fastysm
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by 67fastysm »

are sure there are no gaskets that go between the locks and the panel my came with a set
Age is a high price for maturity