Anyone using a Lunati cam?

Need help on paint, paint prep, welding, engines etc?

Moderator: Moderators

hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Anyone using a Lunati cam?

Post by hybrid »

Looking for a new roller cam/lifter kit for the old mans cleveland. Lunati do a nice looking cam, albeit with big lift compared to the rest of the specs.

Anyone using their cams with an opinion on them?
Equus
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Re: Anyone using a Lunati cam?

Post by Equus »

Hi Mate,
do not know if this is relevant but i am using one of the Lunati vodoo grinds in my stang. (Part Number: 10350701). For my mild budget build if seems fine. Good torque and broad range of power.
I choose this over a equivalent Comp Cam grind due to the softer closing of the valves. Comp XE grinds apparently have an issue with noisy valvetrains.

Though this is all for flat tappet cams

cheers

Rob
In the middle of the journey!
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

Lift on that is mild.
Maybe it's only the roller cams that are a bit crazy. You can get away with a steeper ramp on roller cams.

We're going to check the travel on his existing springs to see when they bind.
The cam I'm looking at for him has .611" on the exhaust.
The operating range starts at 2200, so it's not crazy specs.
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by boofhead »

I to was going to suggest the Voodo roller cams. They are a very good grind and as suggested they have less aggressive ramps so valve gear is usually quiet when compared to XE Comp series.

https://www.lunatipower.com/News.aspx?id=74

https://www.lunatipower.com/ProductGrou ... 289&cid=67

Just remember high lift for a Cleveland is due to using a 1.72 rocker so the high numbers (relative to a windsor) is often due to the higher rocker ratio playing its part.
I will someday think of something clever to say.
LEEH69
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by LEEH69 »

yep I've got a Lunatti roller cam in mine, can't remember the part number
but has 0.509 lift, power comes in at 1800rpm to 5500rpm and is very responsive and great torque, I'm also looking to step up one and change it for a roller voodoo cam with 0.549 lift for when I add the injection, I can't compare to other cams as I haven't used any others, but very happy with it.
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

It's a voodoo I was looking at already boof.

This one:
https://www.lunatipower.com/Product.asp ... 81&gid=289

There's a mob in the states selling that kit on special for US$550. I will need to use my remailer because they only ship to the states. But that's damn cheap. We just need to check if any of the springs we have can handle .611" of lift. They tested one set this afternoon and they only went to .580" before binding. We have one more set to try, otherwise we're adding a set of springs to the list.
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by boofhead »

Yes - I found the grind. I was trying to support the decision that the voodoo roller family is a good one. Having said that you have found a smoking deal. I agree the springs will be a little harder to find lying around as anything able 0.6 lift is on the higher end of the commonly used scale. I do believe you will be happy with the results (assuming other parts all match up) as the voodoo series was design by Harold Brookshire who has excellent history.
I will someday think of something clever to say.