OK - Heres one for those with knowledge on the 69ers to help

Need help on paint, paint prep, welding, engines etc?

Moderator: Moderators

HappyOne
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

OK - Heres one for those with knowledge on the 69ers to help

Post by HappyOne »

We are in the throws of connecting up an OEM air con unit in our 69 Mach 1 – which is still in the states.

I have a question, which we should have probably resolved much sooner than this but here goes anyways.

We have a SCJ 429 engine installed, so not a lot a room between motor and radiator maybe only 4-5" at best - at present the car has no internal radiator fan installed.

I suspect that was due to lack of space when the 429 engine was installed and they installed two external elec fans - which were really inadequately undersized and it was suffering a bit with overheating by not getting enough flow through air.

So when we were over there in April, I purchased and installed a much bigger external fan, which gave us much better results, but still did not solve it completely.....there maybe some other issues there to sort out with either timing /tuning or radiator blockages ??

Anyways,

now that we are trying to fit up the air con unit, the realization has hit that the condenser unit will need to be installed in front of the radiator as well and we are wondering what to do about getting sufficient air flow throw to cool this beast.

Has anyone fitted up a big block in a 69 with air conditioning and figured this shit out ...if so would be so kind and pass on either pics of what has been done or a good description of how you overcame this hiccup please.

Me is starting to think fitting up this OEM Air con unit in a big block 69 may not be possible?????

But I would have thought ..this Might have been a factory option with the 69 428 SCJ ??

:impatient: :help: :loopy:
Never Die Wondering ...What If ????

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they Wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day. "
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: OK - Heres one for those with knowledge on the 69ers to

Post by ozbilt »

It has a 429? That is a 383 family engine & related to the 460. That engine was never in a Mustang other than the hemi. One hell of a big engine in that bay. The 427 & 428 are FE engines.

As for A/C. It will need to be disconnected & degassed (along with a certificate) BEFORE import into Australia. I assume you know that.

Yes A/C was an option for the 428 cars. Even the 67/8 cars could be optioned that way. The condenser is in front of the rad, car has a bigger rad & a 5 blade clutch fan is fitted.
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet
HappyOne
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by HappyOne »

ozbilt wrote:It has a 429? That is a 383 family engine & related to the 460. That engine was never in a Mustang other than the hemi. One hell of a big engine in that bay. The 427 & 428 are FE engines.

As for A/C. It will need to be disconnected & degassed (along with a certificate) BEFORE import into Australia. I assume you know that.

Yes A/C was an option for the 428 cars. Even the 67/8 cars could be optioned that way. The condenser is in front of the rad, car has a bigger rad & a 5 blade clutch fan is fitted.
According to all the info we have been given Kerry, it is a SCJ 429 motor fitted.- Wedge style heads etc... bugger all room in the engine bay is correct ! ......not looking forward to ever changing the spark plugs, thats for sure!

Unlike ....The Boss 429 semi hemi 7 litre engine which was the original engine used (I have read it was from the 385 ? family- built for the NASCAR series) - from info I have found on it. very rare car indeed, if it was an original, only about 859 made apperantly (which clearly ours aint an original unfortunately)

Yep we know about the degassing etc - all that will be done is fitting up all the components in engine bay and under dash as well as the new dash pad with centre air vent etc. It will be certified OK to travel...so that won't be an issue.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... ss_429.jpg
Last edited by HappyOne on Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they Wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day. "
Pinto-Pete
Mustang King
Mustang King

Re: OK - Heres one for those with knowledge on the 69ers to help

Post by Pinto-Pete »

385 series engine, other than the 69,70 Boss 429 semi hemi s,t code engines (which used a slightly different block not interchangeable with regular production blocks) these engines were fitted to 71,72 mustangs in various forms up to SCJ spec rated at 375 hp have seen dyno figures of 495 hp for a factory fresh SCJ.. actually easier to change the plugs on one in a falcon than a cleveland.. Mustangs,... about to find out..
If you want a Boss 429 see this bloke..
http://www.jonkaaseracingengines.com/co ... gines.html
I'm Batman...

Crane Operator
Mammoet Australia
Rye Park Wind Farm
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

HappyOne wrote:
ozbilt wrote:It has a 429? That is a 383 family engine & related to the 460. That engine was never in a Mustang other than the hemi. One hell of a big engine in that bay. The 427 & 428 are FE engines.

According to all the info we have been given Kerry, it is a SCJ 429 motor fitted.- Wedge style heads etc... bugger all room in the engine bay is correct ! ......not looking forward to ever changing the spark plugs, thats for sure!

Unlike ....The Boss 429 semi hemi 7 litre engine which was the original engine used (I have read it was from the 385 ? family- built for the NASCAR series) - from info I have found on it. very rare car indeed, if it was an original, only about 859 made apperantly (which clearly ours aint an original unfortunately)

Yep we know about the degassing etc - all that will be done is fitting up all the components in engine bay and under dash as well as the new dash pad with centre air vent etc. It will be certified OK to travel...so that won't be an issue.

You have a pic of the engine bay? The wiki link is for the 429 hemi.

I know about the hemi as Sean owns one here in Australia & has another 69 429 hemi car at his workshop, both original KK cars. He also has another 429 NASCAR hemi going in a 67 fastback ..... http://www.bosskraft.com/boss-429-powered-67.html

You should have a Marti report for your car.
Kerry

HappyOne
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by HappyOne »

ozbilt wrote:
HappyOne wrote:

You have a pic of the engine bay? The wiki link is for the 429 hemi.

I know about the hemi as Sean owns one here in Australia & has another 69 429 hemi car at his workshop, both original KK cars. He also has another 429 NASCAR hemi going in a 67 fastback ..... http://www.bosskraft.com/boss-429-powered-67.html

You should have a Marti report for your car.
No need for the Marti report on my car Kerry...concorse it aint, I know it originally had a 351 in it and the colour was red. Will dig out some photos when I get a chance, think I may have posted them up before though?

HappyOne
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by HappyOne »

Pic of engine bay

Best one I have - but you can't see how close the engine is to the radiator

soc123_au
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by soc123_au »

Offset slimline thermo may be your best bet. you may be able to find someone over there to fabricate a shroud as this will make it much more efficient. You want something that flows at east 2800cfm.
nassi
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by nassi »

We use the ford mondeo twin fan and shroud setup but only tried it for size with a 428 in a 69. Leaves about 10 to 12 mm clearance. There s a problem with the battery tray though.
shaun071
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by shaun071 »

I've used EF-AU Falcon twin fans before on X series Falcons with the big crossflow radiator that worked well. They fit with minor mods to the factory fan shroud. I have a set in the shed if you want a measurements/pics.
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

The car is still in the USA (I believe) so Australian stuff is useless.
Kerry

ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

The radiator can be moved forward with changes to the rad support panel & the rad mounts. You could get over an inch (25mm) with that mod.

It looks to me (by the pic you posted) you will be working on the engine bay anyway & that will involve paint.
Kerry

nassi
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by nassi »

ozbilt wrote:The car is still in the USA (I believe) so Australian stuff is useless.
Good point.
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

ozbilt wrote:The radiator can be moved forward with changes to the rad support panel & the rad mounts. You could get over an inch (25mm) with that mod.
It does look a fair way back from the main rad support.
donoauto
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by donoauto »

HappyOne wrote: We have a SCJ 429 engine installed, so not a lot a room between motor and radiator maybe only 4-5" at best - at present the car has no internal radiator fan installed.
4-5" should be plenty of room. I've been commonly using a EF3534 (Cooldrive part number - Cooldrive EF3534 Fan) fan for nearly everyone. 16" longlife fan, just over 2000cfm (3430m3/h) of flow & is only 88mm overall thickness.

Also agree with the boys that it looks like the radiator could be moved further forward but shouldn't have to.
(PRAYER) Oh thank you Wild Turkey American Honey & Cola in those small thin bottles, for giving me the strength to act like a half wit, and say stupid things at inappropriate times, semi-anonymously, on a public forum.
Amen.