67 GT500 Tribute

Create your project threads here if you prefer to keep them out of the regular forums

Moderator: Moderators

67GT500
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

Big Block Challenge

Post by 67GT500 »

Hi All, First post so please be patient!

I have a 67 FB GT500 tribute with a T-Bird Q Code 428/C6. Have just started installing an AAW loom as the car had at least a million wiring problems!! I have the dash out and am still stripping so I've decided to add or ast least select a couple of other items so I can prepare wiring etc.

I also need to remove the radiator for the wiring so, as you'll see from the photo attached, its a great time to address the space between thermos and pulleys.

Think I can reverse the fans as they are Davies Craig and should therfore fit in front. Removing the shroud as well should give me enough space. I think its an Aussie Desert Cooler.

Have almost settled on a C1 Racing kit for the pulleys, pumps etc. Seems to be great value as I need the compressor and PS pump as well as upgraded alternator.

http://www.c1pulleys.com/fordfekits-01. ... tions=cart

As the pulley kit is going in I need to select air con and possibly power steer options. Car has no AC or PS.

For AC am still undecided on Vintage Air versus Classic Auto Air? No matter how hard I research it's difficult to choose. Most forum posts comparing them are out of date.

Also, can't find a power assisted box for a Big Block 67. Doesn't look like Borgeson do one. Haven't had a response from them yet and its been a few days.

So, if anyone can assist with knowledge on the C1 pulleys, air con choice or PS for a 428 I would be most grateful. They're big spends and I don't want to stuff it up.

Thanks
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Re: Big Block Challenge

Post by hybrid »

If you get stuck, you can always modify your radiator support to move the radiator forward.
Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Shaunp »

A borgeson will fit in a big block car as long as it is auto or has hydraulic clutch.
donoauto
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by donoauto »

Shrouds do a good job but I don't think you'll have any temp. issues by getting rid of it & mounting fans very close to rad. fins. I've only got a single 16" thermo on a 400HP SB, no shroud & temp. never gets away on me. Will idle all day long in the hot summer days without boiling the kettle.
(PRAYER) Oh thank you Wild Turkey American Honey & Cola in those small thin bottles, for giving me the strength to act like a half wit, and say stupid things at inappropriate times, semi-anonymously, on a public forum.
Amen.
soc123_au
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by soc123_au »

I have the C1 pulleys inc alt, steer & a/c on my BB. Fits no problems. I would piss the desert cooler off though. I am running a Ron Davis Radiator.
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by boofhead »

The C1 pullies are excellent. They also have provided high level of customer support. My experience is with the SB Windsor kit though I would expect the same quality for the BB. It is an excellent way of getting all of the gear in a very neat package for really a reasonable price.

I am running the Old Air http://www.oldairproducts.com/catalog/ system. I to researched and researched. I know a few other members also are using their systems. I was happy with the service, product and the kits were complete. I have no experience of the others you are looking at so I guess this has complicated your choice a little. I would imaging they would mostly be similar.

Like Hybrid my first though with the radiator is that it could be moved closer to the support with a few modifications. You can get thinner fans and Donauto always provide quality advice and experience. My thoughts are that a BB is always tight everywhere so as long as it all fits and does not touch who needs more room. Lots of room is generally not an option with one of those lumps in the front.

Nice looking car and welcome.
I will someday think of something clever to say.
mert
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by mert »

OEM PS works fine. If it is old and has bad seats/parts, yes they can leak. But if you fix it once and fix it right it'll probably run for decades...
8R01S
8R03S-GT
8F01X -EXP500 Repli-bute
8R01C-Cal Special
trav68
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by trav68 »

I have vintage air and it is tops. Only tricky part of whole install ( incomplete) is routing ductwork to LHS diffuser as space is lacking. Well thought out kit, great instructions, nicely packed, nicely priced. I used the model with the little analogue slider modules installed behind the original control panel feeding into the A/C ecu box so you can get rid of all the vacuum tubes and control cable crap behind the dash.

I have just recently fully rebuilt the factory PS and the car is amazing to drive. Mine is all factory with opentracker roller idler arm, roller spring perches, bilstein shocks, lovell coils, whiteline swaybar etc etc and drives like a new one.

Trav.
67GT500
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

Post by 67GT500 »

Wow! Outstanding. Many thanks to all who have responded. I don't feel alone any more!!! By the way as I'm installing the AAW loom, concealed sound and have a GPS tracker. Anyone needing some feedback/help on electrical stuff please ask.....

Very pleased to hear that the C1 pulley kit is a good choice guys and someone has actually installed one!! Cheers Boofhead and socc123_au!! Can I ask how noisy the C1 kit is? I'm not really after a Gilmer whine. If you're close to Brisbane Northside I'd "kill" to see/hear it installed....don't know much about serpentine other than their reliability.

soc123_au thanks and interested about your Desert Cooler and Temp comments. Wanna PM me perhaps? Sounds like there is history there?

Boofhead I don't know who Donauto is?

Found a guy in Melb last night who's responded on the PS and BB. John Smith from Pro Steer Down Under. Great email with heaps of info. Looks real helpful.

As for Air Con I'll look at Oldair. Haven't seen their stuff yet. Looked at Vintage Air and Classic Auto Air.
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by boofhead »

Donoauto responded to your questions as well - see above - sorry I left out an 'o'.

The system sounds just like a factory serpentine belt system - no much to hear here especially over the exhaust note (which is the way it should be :lol:). The car engine (and car) I guided the installation on is in Sydney. See Cages build thread for the pics. One of the dyno clients visited when the engine in question was there and they were so impressed I understand they went out and purchased a kit as well.

Do not feel alone - we are not a bad group - well not really.
Glad you found us.
I will someday think of something clever to say.
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

I have the old air unit in my 66 also. Does the job nicely.
Having said that - I imagine they are all just fine as it's not rocket science.
cage
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by cage »

Concept One pulleys are absolutely beautiful. Top quality and a piece of piss to install. Mine is a small block though but as with soc123_au I am running the Ron Davies racing radiator, also a beautiful piece of kit.

Boofhead is right about my Dyno guy. Ordered a complete set the next day after seeing mine.

Welcome to the site, you will get plenty of support here but remember if you don't post pictures it didn't happen. We love pics.....and knitting, but that is another story.
"The simple answer is, even if I have decided I still don't know what to do."
67GT500
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

Post by 67GT500 »

Sometimes a picture can be scary......,
67GT500
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

Post by 67GT500 »

While I'm at it. Anyone ever fit a subwoofer in here......I'm looking at twin 8" shallow pioneers either side.
69candy
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by 69candy »

Vintage air here. In my 428 69. Works great