setting up home spray booth??

Need help on paint, paint prep, welding, engines etc?

Moderator: Moderators

mjb0015
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

setting up home spray booth??

Post by mjb0015 »

Hi will spray painting my 65 soon, looking at all my options, one of these is setting up my garage as a spray booth.
Has anyone done this? if so what is required? will be spraying 2K.

Cheers
Mark
Hanging around... and around
nassi
Mustang King
Mustang King

Re: setting up home spray booth??

Post by nassi »

I do mine in the shed, but that's acrylic. I blower vac the shed and wet the floor but I' don't think you can do that with 2k.
scott66stang
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by scott66stang »

Not sure about wetting the Floor, water will evaporate into the paint. I squirt down the shed as i have alot of dust and pollen floating around and let it dry, then sweep and blow the floor, wipe down the car just before spraying. I used acrylic aswell
mjb0015
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by mjb0015 »

Nassi & Scott how did you find acrylic to spray? have you sprayed the whole car in acrylic?
scott66stang
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by scott66stang »

I have sprayed acrylic (my fastback) and 2k once my (thought collecting couch) and found slow to dry, i watched a fly drag itself 2"through the paint, but there is additives for faster drying.

I will "one day" spray the 67 convertible in the 2k as it is better off the gun requiring less cutting back thats only my opinion i am in no way an expert.

This was done in 2k on the concrete outside my shed

This in Acrylic inside my Shed

ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

Do all the prep at home (priming & rubbing), then hire a booth to shoot the colour.

You will spend more the cost of hire on plastic drop sheets etc & it will still have crap in the paint.
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet
trav68
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by trav68 »

This is our home made cross draft booth although due to shed constraints it is more of a parts booth but easily extendible. Barn doors with proper spray booth inlet filters, stud walls, cement sheeting, acrylic light cutouts with rear mounted fluro lighting, rear mounted plenum with paint arrestor filters and explosion proof 3 ph exhaust fan ex paint booth. Compressed air fed in from side as is fresh air as I use a fresh air fed respirator for 2k becuase it is foul crap. There is actually not a lot of $ in the above setup if you a clever sourcing materials for example I found the fan for $100 second hand, fluros are cheap, same for studwork and hardiflex sheeting if you have space for a setup which you intend to reuse in the future.

It is still not perfect but does better than open air painting and cuts down post paint wet sanding, buffing etc etc

Cheers,
Trav
mjb0015
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by mjb0015 »

Ok thats good advise will do primer at home and topcoat and clear in a booth.

Scott the fastback turned out nice!!! that XY couch very sweet..
Last edited by mjb0015 on Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
trav68
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by trav68 »

Dont overlook lighting it is very very important! You cant paint using the force like yoda from star wars.
mjb0015
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by mjb0015 »

Nice setup Trav!! how much did you end up paying for the paint arrestor filters?
mjb0015
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by mjb0015 »

Yeh thanks have about 3 fluros per side
nassi
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by nassi »

mjb0015 wrote:Nassi & Scott how did you find acrylic to spray? have you sprayed the whole car in acrylic?
I love acrylic for two no make that three reasons.
1. its very forgiving for a crap painter like me and allows for repairs.
2. dries very quickly allowing less crap to become a problem. (a must when working out of the shed).
3. very cheap by comparison to 2 pac, this allows me the luxury of fixing my stuff ups and still being able to eat that day. :lol:
While acrylic is my preferred medium it is by no means the best or the most durable, just what I use at home.
I doubt you would find any professional shops still using it.
Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Shaunp »

The main trouble with acrylic these days is its crap, since the big guys don't make it now, it's not worth having. 2k is fine, rub it and cut it just the same. I've seen an FJ holden win prizes at the Summer Nats that was painted in 2k white pearl, under a house at Manly in Brisbane, was also featured in Street Machine, Jigsaw is it's name, still looks like the day it was done. Below is a pic at the FJ nationals, around 2009-10, not sure but last national in Brisbane. I was paint and panel judge.

Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Shaunp »

trav68 wrote:Image

This is our home made cross draft booth although due to shed constraints it is more of a parts booth but easily extendible. Barn doors with proper spray booth inlet filters, stud walls, cement sheeting, acrylic light cutouts with rear mounted fluro lighting, rear mounted plenum with paint arrestor filters and explosion proof 3 ph exhaust fan ex paint booth. Compressed air fed in from side as is fresh air as I use a fresh air fed respirator for 2k becuase it is foul crap. There is actually not a lot of $ in the above setup if you a clever sourcing materials for example I found the fan for $100 second hand, fluros are cheap, same for studwork and hardiflex sheeting if you have space for a setup which you intend to reuse in the future.

It is still not perfect but does better than open air painting and cuts down post paint wet sanding, buffing etc etc

Cheers,
Trav
That would work perfectly fine. Most panel shop booths are not actually very clean, and you still get shit in the paint. The secret its to blow more air in then you suck out so you have positive pressure. This way even if you open a door no dust coms in. You can buy prefab booths now from China for about 12K, a mate just got one, think of buying one also.
scott66stang
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by scott66stang »

Do you use accelerator in your 2k Shaun? i have never tried it